Best Steak In Bangkok?

Geekfreaklover

Problem I find with Centara is the staff are stand-offish and the food & beverage manager...well Arrogant for want of a better word.

Compare that with the Sheraton Grande or JW Marriott. The Centara is simply not in the same league although they are trying.

Centara is catering for Thai's who accept the mediocre service where as the JW and Sheraton are catering for the the western expectations.

Edited by namoo

Problem I find with Centara is the staff are stand-offish and the food & beverage manager...well Arrogant for want of a better word.

Compare that with the Sheraton Grande or JW Marriott. The Centara is simply not in the same league although they are trying.

Centara is catering for Thai's who accept the mediocre service where as the JW and Sheraton are catering for the the western expectations.

Actually correction to my above he might be the Resident Manager...either way comment still stands.

Can you wear shorts in any of these?

Now if you need to ask.... :)

I don't mind paying their astronomical steak prices, but I resent having to buy a pair of long trousers that I will never wear again to do so!

How quaintly provincial.

Short trousers are fine on young boys and the beach but you're surely not advocating they be worn by adults whilst out and about the town?

I have an American chum who does this in Bangkok from time to time, much to my embarrassment, but I suppose he feels that at his stage in life he doesn't need to give a care.

Are you elderly too?

It is extremely hot here and shorts make it a lot more bearable and I could care less what some pretentious phony thinks.

"Best Steak" anywhere is very subjective.

I went to a Steakhouse (Mortons?) in Dallas once, surely a place where one should expect a perfect Steak - they gave me a knife Jim Bowie would have been proud of but I could have cut the steak with the fork - almost pre-digested, quite disgusting.

Ah - Mitzu's Kitchen; yes, I'd agree although I have not been there in - must be 20 years, I'll visit again soon, now I have been reminded of the place.

Chokechai - thin Steaks which are impossible to cook any way but well done in my opinion.

Neils' Tavern - one of my pet gripes in Bangkok - they bring out a tray of hard frozen cuts for you to chose from ......... 15 minutes later your Steak is served, obviously zapped in a Microwave and given no time to relax after that shock before being cooked. If I am paying Baht 1,500.- for a Steak I expect it to be better treated.

My favourite used to be the Fireplace Grill in the old President Hotel on Ploenchit - the Hotel is now re-named (Intercontinental?) and I am not at all sure if the Grill is still there.

I miss Nick's No. 1 - not the more recent place on Sukhumvit, Soi 16, the original on Sathorn / Wireless Circle. Fillet Steak with Blue Cheese and a bottle of Bulls Blood - conversation with Nick and a bottle of Plum Brandy for dessert (yes, a bottle).

In the present day I would say The Rib Room on the top of the Landmark Hotel.

Patrick

Tonight we ate at Chokchai off Asoke for the first time. Expensive, at least in terms of Thailand. I would say the steak was "quite good", but not "great". The baked potato was laughable. Service wonderful. Atmosphere pleasant. I have to admit, in ordering the filet mignon, I have never gotten portions that huge.

Phet...I agree with your general, generally positive assessment of Chok Chai Asoke.... especially their "mini" baked potatoes (the one thing about their meal I really would change if I could, along with their somewhat weird cut, mixed vegetable medley)... But I do like it for a place to eat steaks, have had consistently good meals and good service there, and it's an unusually pleasant environment for a Thai restaurant.

However, I don't consider it to be expensive. When ordering steaks there, I've always ordered from the middle range dry aged section -- not the most expensive dry aged section, and not the cheapest section where the meat is not dry aged. The meats I've gotten have always been good, usually the rib-eye for mid 200s to mid 300s depending on whether you order the smaller junior or larger senior cut.

If you order their top end dry aged steaks, then yes, their prices are going to be in line with what other places around town charge for imported steak cuts, 500 to 600 baht per order.

The bad steaks in Thailand are the Brits fault? I knew that there was a logical explanation! :D

:D:D:D The best steaks in Bangkok are bought at Villa and BBQ on my balcony. :):D:D

Probably the most sensible post on this thread.

Go to Tops and buy the imported Australian beef at 50% off as it approaches it's shelf life, take it home and cook it yourself. best steak you'll ever get, and if it's not you've only got yourself to blame.

Use the money you save to buy a nice bottle of red to accompany. Simple really. :D

Edited by sibeymai