Free Bbq Friday Night

getgoin

I went to this bar, once. A mate and I were sitting ouside, having a beer. We spotted a friend of ours walking along the soi, with a beer in his hand, we called him over for a quick chat. Our friend stayed in the soi, outside the bar. The manager came out and told our mate to clear off because he wasn't drinking the pub's own beer. We said he was being unreasonable, so he called his bouncers over. We have, and never will go back.

Sure there wasn't a bit more to the story like...

your mate shows up with a chang from 711, the waitress tells him he needs to order a drink from the bar as well, he says no thanks and continues to drink his chang.

Owner asks him to leave then. Seems normal to me.

Nope, it's just as I said in my post, and I was there the whole time. Our friend stayed in the soi the whole time and never entered the bar. It was nothing more than a passing chat between friends. The manager butted in like he owned the soi. At no time did our friend try to eat food, or enter the bar. He was also extremely polite whilst arguing his case about being able to stand in the street. The owner was simply being a heavy handed prat.

I went to this bar, once. A mate and I were sitting ouside, having a beer. We spotted a friend of ours walking along the soi, with a beer in his hand, we called him over for a quick chat. Our friend stayed in the soi, outside the bar. The manager came out and told our mate to clear off because he wasn't drinking the pub's own beer. We said he was being unreasonable, so he called his bouncers over. We have, and never will go back.

your mate shows up with a chang from 711, the waitress tells him he needs to order a drink from the bar as well, he says no thanks and continues to drink his chang.

Nope, it's just as I said in my post, and I was there the whole time. Our friend stayed in the soi the whole time and never entered the bar. It was nothing more than a passing chat between friends. The manager butted in like he owned the soi. At no time did our friend try to eat food, or enter the bar. He was also extremely polite whilst arguing his case about being able to stand in the street. The owner was simply being a heavy handed prat.

Ok mate, anyways just keep an eye out for the big black dog that guards the area, don't let him see you eating at the bbq without a beer :)

Dont go there on a Friday at BBQ time its to busy and cant get a seat. I did sample the food once not bad for the price at least its just not sausages, although am amused at how high a paper plate can be loaded and still not collapse LOL. mainly school teachers though, nothing wrong with that when you have to watch every penny

Thanks for the info and I will make it a point to NEVER go there again. I will also tell my friends. I guess the owner doesn't need our business.

As for the smoking inside, I just had a conversation with an accountant for a foreign run company in Thailand. Pretty much anything can be bought in Thailand. In her own words corruption is rampant in Thailand and it is getting worse every year. She is Thai and never seen it so bad in the businesses here.

Thanks for the info and I will make it a point to NEVER go there again. I will also tell my friends. I guess the owner doesn't need our business.

As for the smoking inside, I just had a conversation with an accountant for a foreign run company in Thailand. Pretty much anything can be bought in Thailand. In her own words corruption is rampant in Thailand and it is getting worse every year. She is Thai and never seen it so bad in the businesses here.

Good, I don't think you'll be missed, if you judge a place on one comment. :)

Just to throw a curveball into the mixer....

Soi 8 pub is probably the most profitable pub on the lower sukhumvit. Maybe some compition from Gullivars, but I guess the Gullivers overheads are huge.

No mater how many people slag it off on thai visa - the soi 8 pub will be busy everyday.

Daves done a good job on the place. Well done.

Sounds like you know a lot about the country already.

Soi 8 pub is probably the most profitable pub on the lower sukhumvit. Maybe some compition from Gullivars, but I guess the Gullivers overheads are huge.

No mater how many people slag it off on thai visa - the soi 8 pub will be busy everyday.

Have to agree that it is one of the busiets pubs on Sukhumvit, and for a good reason. It may have it's detractors, like the anti smoking crew but it's a decent pub, with good food, good selection of beers and a decent atmosphere.

As you say GFL, Dave has done a good job on the place, and that's why it has so many regulars.

was there last night for the rugby, people simply left as there wasnt a seat available. If he had double the room he would have double the people. Soi*8 is a great pub but getting to popular. 170bht guineas and Killkenny where most in the area charge min 200-220 bht.

Sounds like you know a lot about the country already.

:) you beat me to it. couldn't have said it better.

No hassle, no frills, no shit, thats why the place will always be busy, many wanabee bar owners could do much worse than check out Daves recipe for success.

More power to Dave, his bar, and bars like it.

Anyone ever been to the free BBQ on Friday nights at the Soi 8 Pub? What was offered?

A fairly mediocre selection. If it is the last Friday of the month, a much better 'free' BBQ is at the Pelican Inn on soi 22. 'free' as in you need to buy a beer as usual. Side dishes can dry up early but plenty of ribs.

This place does the worst burgers in BKK, it was huge with more crap inside the worlds driest burger that fell apart then ive ever seen in my life ....... its one of those burgers that <snip> think is edible because its huge ...... then there were enough horrible chips on the plate to feed the 5000.

Via Vai 20 metres away is where its at!

Edited by soundman
Removed profanity.

So San Miguel, you totally blasted Molly Malone's food in another thread, and now are taking the same shotgun to the Soi 8 pub... both posts...with profanity removed by the mods... (I'll let others defend the Soi 8 Pub's food who are more qualified on that subject than myself :) ).

Maybe you could manage to maintain a civil tone of discourse here....even while giving us your valuable opinions of local eating establishments...

I will agree with you on one thing... though...and I'm surprised to hear YOU say it... Via Vai Italian just down the street from the Soi 8 Pub on Suk Soi 8 does some very good pizzas and other Italian food. They also have a terrific 7 days a week lunch special - all you can eat salad bar plus your choice of a pizza or pasta entree for 199 baht... It is VERY good.... :D

This place does the worst burgers in BKK, it was huge with more crap inside the worlds driest burger that fell apart then ive ever seen in my life ....... its one of those burgers that <snip> think is edible because its huge ...... then there were enough horrible chips on the plate to feed the 5000.

Sam Mig, Soi 8 offers some good food. I wouldn't strictly judge it on it's burgers - which I myself do not like from there. Plenty of other things on the menu that are fine.

Sam Mig, Soi 8 offers some good food. I wouldn't strictly judge it on it's burgers - which I myself do not like from there. Plenty of other things on the menu that are fine.

Yes good, plentiful pub food, a nice atmosphere, friendly staff, smoking area outside (and occasionally in), no 'pretend' Aussie/British/Irish/American theme, family friendly and, best of all, no prostitutes hassling you (or sexpats hunting them). Only had the BBQ once and it was very decent (once you'd fought past the English teachers....) and the pub in Bangkok I most highly reccomend

For a drinking and sport watching pub its a good venue, i'll have to have another look next time im in town.

Indeed you hit the nail on the head. This character came into the outside seating area of the bar with a beer purchased from somewhere else. As I would imagine with other Pubs, we do not allow this and he was asked to leave. We have no control over what happens on the Soi itself and would not presume to influence what happens there.