Cpu Recommendation

klikster

I'll be shopping for a new desktop computer pretty soon .. my current setup is about 4 years old. The new machine will be a micro-ATX.

I don't want to start an Intel vs AMD debate, but the CPUs I'm considering are all in the Bt 7,000 - 8,500 range

Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz LGA775 1333MHz 3MB x2

Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz LGA775 1333MHz 6MB x2

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition AM2+ 3.00GHz 533MHz L2 512MB x4 L3 6MB

Alternatives?

I will not be overclocking. Not so much gaming .. but run Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator on a regular basis. I want to add Dragon Naturally Speaking so plan to include a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Value 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Sound Card.

How about ASUS 9500GT 512 or 1g VGA card?

Will be starting with XP but probably change to W7 as it matures, so will install 4 MB of RAM. (2 X 2MB)

All suggestions and recommendations appreciated.

You could get the

X4 940 BE @ 7650baht - bought mine at that price 2 weeks ago

EVGA 9500GT 1GB @ 2200baht or lower

And get a good PSU from companies like PC&P , Enermax , which has Silver or Gold Cert.

4GB of rams is enough since no overclocking will be done ValueRams or some cheap DDR2 1066/1200mhz rams from Gskill will be good. ow whichever kind ur motherboard supports

Edited by spacemunk

If you are looking to part this out yourself, I'd focus on the motherboard, power supply, and RAM. I have a Q9550 myself and it never breaks a sweat even with heavy workloads, but a stable system that can handle 4GB - 8GB of RAM is more important to be than a bit more performance you are unlikely to ever notice. You will notice instability and incompatibility. If you're on a fixed budget, shed some MHz off the CPU and go for the better motherboard.

I went with the P5Q Deluxe, but there are cheaper boards out there. This one is just rock solid and supports 8GB RAM without a fuss. Also has a small Linux distro on-board in the event you need to get on the internet for a driver or something and can't boot into your OS, or your hard drive is shot, or...

Edited by surface

You could get the

And get a good PSU from companies like PC&P , Enermax , which has Silver or Gold Cert.

4GB of rams is enough since no overclocking will be done ValueRams or some cheap DDR2 1066/1200mhz rams from Gskill will be good. ow whichever kind ur motherboard supports

Spacemunk, that CPU would probably work fine for me. What mainboard are you using?

You could get the

Spacemunk, that CPU would probably work fine for me. What mainboard are you using?

im using the gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H its a ATX board cost about 4500baht

you could get the Biostar TForce TA690GAM2 mATX AM2 DDR2 but i dont know the price

Edited by spacemunk