Organic Chicken Farming - Organic Feed

Organic chicken farming is seen as more lucrative than other forms of organic meat production. Organic chickens have to be fed organic feed, which means that it has been produced without chemical additions. Organic feed is more expensive than conventional feed, but organic chickens can also be sold for a much higher price than conventionally raised chickens.

:):D

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO, there is some truth in what the OP is saying, as there are many hormones given to commercially raised meat birds. That's what makes them so plump and juicy and they transfer to the consumer.

Egg production, however uses less if not any hormones [so my local feed salesman says]. I have 20 layers that eat his non hormone feed, only supplimented by vitamins, minerals and kitchen scraps and they are much tastier than the normal battery eggs.

If I had a choice of a hormone fed meat bird and a non hormone fed, I would choose the later even at a slightly higher price.

Free range meat birds are available here in LOS, but I've yet to see them in the markets. I have seen the local scrawny tough fighting chickens that do go for a premium price, but are tough as shoe leather.

• 2 weeks later...