Need Help Monitor Blinking

livinthailandos

Let me give the problem and how it got there. About a month ago the mother board I had finally went out, so in attempt to keep my old computer I got a new mother board installed, but the only persistant problem that remains is now the monitor blinks out then comes back after 2 seconds, even worse when running a virus scan the monitor screen blinks in and out a lot and really fast ( basically you see the desktop then the screen goes black then comes back to desktop ). any ideas should I just buy a video card and install that. I have even tried driver updates and a few other updates but nothing has worked. Mind you this monitor worked fine but last time I had a video card installed and it wasn't on the motherboard part. This monitor is a flat screen monitor NOT a crt monitor. any ideas or help would be extremely useful as I am stumped.

If your motherboard has onboard video remove the GPU and try that. New GPU's are getting really cheap now anyway and an update would not hurt. Just had a thought, is the monitor cable conectingting okay? the HDD might be vibrating enough to effest it, especially on virus scan.

Let me give the problem and how it got there. About a month ago the mother board I had finally went out, so in attempt to keep my old computer I got a new mother board installed, but the only persistant problem that remains is now the monitor blinks out then comes back after 2 seconds, even worse when running a virus scan the monitor screen blinks in and out a lot and really fast ( basically you see the desktop then the screen goes black then comes back to desktop ). any ideas should I just buy a video card and install that. I have even tried driver updates and a few other updates but nothing has worked. Mind you this monitor worked fine but last time I had a video card installed and it wasn't on the motherboard part. This monitor is a flat screen monitor NOT a crt monitor. any ideas or help would be extremely useful as I am stumped.

Check the BIOS settings for the graphics option. Ensure that the video card is selected as the first choice for graphics display. The info for this is in the booklet that came with the mobo; look for the Bios settings, usually following the board install information.

When asking for computer help best to provide full info on the computer, in this case the exact model number of the mobo and the graphics card would be of major help.

Without your computer / monitor specs you won't receive much response and help regarding this issue. Just my guess... :)

Edited by webfact

Display Adapters: Intel 82865G Graphics Controller

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80 GHz

Monitors: HP F1503 Flat Panel Monitor

1 GB Ram

if need more information please advice what im looking for in the device manager

I assume you are using XP. Can you check with another monitor

That would give an instant answer. Graphic card or monitor is faulty

Here some possible debug solutions you should try

- start your computer in safe mode and check whether it blinks or not.

- check if all cables are plugged correctly

- go into hardware device manager and check if there's some device shown with a yellow "attention" sign

- A likely cause is the video driver. The current driver could be corrupt as happens from time to time. If you are using xp try restoring to a time when you didnt have this problem or reinstal the video driver

- a bad power supply

- wrong monitor refresh rate/frequency

or... you may have caught a virus! Run an AV scan too!

Edited by webfact