Bangkok Airways Crash in Koh Samui

SilentReader

He probably landed in similar conditions all the time and was perfectly competent at it, but on this occasion a gust of wind and a critical point knocked him off line and he couldn't recover. It's a bit like the Qantas incident in '99 but without the soft golf course to slide into.

I live under the flight path to Samui airport and am constantly surprised to see them landing in the same direction the wind is blowing. I always thought that they were supposed to land in the opposite direction as it helps to slow them down and actually helps them to control the landing better.

If they were coming in from the north today when the storm hit, then I am not surprised there was a problem. It was one of the sharpest gusts I have seen. It blew tables over and scared us all as it felt like the building was going to move. It only lasted a few minutes but if it was the exact sae time then I am sure it was not expected and surprised everyone. We keep a constant eye out for the weather blowing in and were surprised by its speed and strength. We don't have high tech equipment to monitor it but I believe it could not be predicted with accuracy by anything available here.

Condolences to the friends and family of those that have died (rumours are going around that some in the tower building died as well - but nothing confirmed anywhere yet) and we wish a speedy recovery to the rest.

Well said, I was on my way to the Bangkok-Samui Hospital (where all the injuried people was taken), I had to stop as the rain started and this was about 1km from the Airport, and the rain and wind was very strong, just for about 5min, but still I'm sure nobody can predict that. I tried once though on approach to a landing where the captain, just before touching the runway gave full gas again to come around one more time. But if the wind came after the captain actually hit the runway and started breaking, there is no way he can take of again.

They really did a very professional thing at the Bangkok-Samui hospital, all staff (and I mean all) was out and ready to handle incoming wounded, nobody new anything about how many was expected. As I saw one of the air-craft staff arriving in a mini-wan with injury to her head and as I left the first ambulance arrived with 2 patients laying down, both with their legs splinted up, after unloading that ambulance headed straight back again.

Hope the weather is clearing up soon...

Cheers

Torben

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. These are very unusual for Samui, since unlike Phuket where there was a similar incident a while back, Samui is on the other side of the Southern Thai Peninsula from the Andaman, so the monsoons do not reach as far as Samui.

</div>

Sorry, sir this is utter BS!

There are extraordinary heavy low-level wind shears!

If a storm front like the recent ones in these days, moves in every thing not fixed, takes off and it doesn't take lots of knowledge or elaborate explanations that these gusts, could easily, a Light-Aircraft like the ATR, certainly push off the runway on landing procedure!

I never said Samui doesn't get wind sheers; I said storms like this are unusual for Samui, and freak wind sheers on Samui are even more rare. Indeed, in my earlier post you will note that this wind sheer was mentioned.

However, it is a fact that Samui does not get Monsoons, as does Phuket. Phuket has a 6 month long, heavy rainy season. Samui has about 6 *WEEKS*. The monsoons are limited to the Phuket side, the Andaman Sea. See http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php and note how much longer and heavier the rain is in Phuket than in Samui.

This storm on Samui today was very intense, very short, and very unusual.

Plane crash at Samui Airport

PHUKET CITY: -- A Bangkok Airways aircraft skidded off the runway at Samui Airport and crashed into an aviation control tower earlier this afternoon.

The accident took place at about 2.30pm.

The pilot, Chartchai Punsuwan, was killed in the accident.

Rescue teams and workers rushed to the scene to evacuate the passengers.

Initial reports said the 75-seat aircraft, arriving from Krabi, slid off the runway because of poor weather.

In recent days Samui has been hit by heavy rains.

A Nation reporter at the scene said the aircraft did not catch fire.

Samui district chief Sakchai Johpalit said rescue workers were evacuating the injured passengers from the aircraft.

The aircraft carried 68 passengers altogether.

The Samui air crash is the first major aircraft accident in the region since the crash of One-Two-Go flight OG269 at Phuket International Airport on September 16, 2007.

The Phuket crash, which claimed the lives of 90 passengers, also happened during stormy weather.

An official investigation into the cause of the Phuket crash cited pilot error as a major factor.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-08-04

Listening to the interview with the airline's owner/spokesperson he was asked why the flight was not diverted to Surat Thani, being the closest airport capable of accommodating the flight and it appears that the weather was deemed to be suitable to land in at the time of approach and flights had completed similar landings without incident. I can only assume that there must have been a very very freak wind shear to blow the plane off the runway

The deceased captain had 19 years experience of flying with the company.

The injuries appear to be lots of concussions and broken limbs with the nationalities I heard being Swiss, German and Swedish from the TV reports.

The airport will be closed for 3-4 hours minimum, with no maximum time given for its reopening.

Edited by ManInSurat

Pilot killed in Thai plane crash

The plane was landing in heavy rain and high winds

The pilot of a Thai plane has been killed and 10 passengers injured as it skidded off the runway while landing on the tourist island of Koh Samui.

The Bangkok Airways flight, carrying 72 people, hit an old and unmanned control tower amid reports of heavy rain.

The plane had taken off from the southern Thai town of Krabi, another resort popular with tourists.

Officials said many of the injured were tourists. Hospital sources told the BBC four Britons may be among those hurt.

The nationalities of the others were not immediately known, but none were said to be seriously hurt.

Map of plane's route

"Sadly we have learnt that the pilot of the aircraft has died and so far 10 passengers are confirmed wounded," said Kannikar Kemavuthanon, the director general of the Department of Civil Aviation.

Ms Kanikka said the ATR72 twin-turboprop had 68 passengers, two pilots and two crew members on board.

"The weather was very bad during landing with heavy rain and wind," she said.

The plane hit a building that had once been used as an air traffic control tower, but is now part of a fire-fighting station, a local police official said.

"The heavy damage was at the front of the plane where the pilot was. It looks like he suffered from the impact," police Maj Col Sayan Sartsri told AP news agency.

The crash happened at around 1400 local time (0800 GMT).

Local reports said some of the injured passengers suffered broken legs.

The resort island of Koh Samui lies some 300 miles (480km) south of Bangkok.

The airport runway was closed after the accident and at least one Thai Airways flight was cancelled.

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2009-08-04

Those with very good eyes will find a link on the BKK Air website (on top) about the accident

As it was expected, it's not working :)

I tried to post the link, but it seems I'm not allowed to do....

Edit : it seems to work right now, but only in Thai...

Here is the google translation :

Samui / 4 August 2552 - 14:15 pm at the airline's aircraft, Bangkok Airways flight PG266 is the ATR-72 aircraft-size 70-seat passengers a total of 68 people with 2 person flight crew 2 person from the Airport Samui Airport Krabi come. Slip out Ranewis flight control room, and old people. While landing at the airport to Samui received initial reports are that transport passengers from the accident and made. Sent the injured to nearby hospitals. Now Samui Airport has temporarily closed the service. Will be announced by the airline's management in time 17:00 am today at 17 floor office building in the airline Bangkok Airways. Vibhavadi Rangsit Road

Is the latest casualty reports following

* 5 people seriously injured (to the hospital).

* 2 minor injuries (to the hospital).

* 61 people safely.

* 2 person crew safety.

Pilot safe 1 * 1 person died.

For more information on the Emergency Call Center 02 265 8777.

Sorry, Sir. Maybe you try again...

http://www.bangkokair.com/announcement/accident-usm.php

P.S. Sorry for all people who are affected by this accident.

Thoughts and prayers for all involved, and their families. Any accident of this kind is horrendous to witness, and may have life-long ramifications for the survivors.

Congrats to Carlos for the excellent photo.

And thanks to the many TV posters who kept the mood appropriate to the situation.

Apparently hit the unmanned control tower. 'UNMANNED' gives you a great deal of confidence !

Whilst I appreciate you are trying to be humorous (bad taste?) with this post, I believe there are 2 control towers at Samui and this tower houses the emergency services for the airport as can be seen in the numerous photos in the thread. The main control tower has been unaffected in this accident from what I can gather.

Suratthani airport a few years back 92 or so dead, remember?! Bad waether .......

Yes, I remember vividly as I was living in Surat Thani town at the time and got first hand accounts from rescue personnel. I happened in 1998 or 1999 and I don't exactly remember the name of the airline so I'll refrain from throwing names around pending a search to refresh my memory.

That crash at night during an awful rain/wind storm was a complete disaster and avoidable. The airport at the time was reconstructing its instrument landing system so the ILS was not in operation. The pilots had to fly blind and guess all the way in.

Construction extending the runway caught the pilots by surprise in the storm. The landing never should have been attempted. The Surat Thani MP died in the crash so there was a long investigation but it faded over time so no one was held to account.

In this kind of crash the airport often bears a share of the responsibility. I haven't been to Samui recently so I don't know much about things there presently. Regardless, the last thing we need is for another investigation to disappear into the maw of time and indifference.

BTW, anyone who's lived in Surat Thani can attest that it gets a huge and torrential rain nearly every day for up to six months, especially late in the afternoon and overnite. Samui is different.

Edited by Publicus

Yes, I remember vividly as I was living in Surat Thani town at the time and got first hand accounts from rescue personnel. I happened in 1998 or 1999 and I don't exactly remember the name of the airline so I'll refrain from throwing names around pending a search to refresh my memory.

Thai Airways.

In this kind of crash the airport often bears a share of the responsibility. I haven't been to Samui recently so I don't know much about things there presently. Regardless, the last thing we need is for another investigation to disappear into the maw of time and indifference

The airport is owned by Bangkok Airways as well.

Edited by onethailand

I would suspect Pilot Error has some blame in this - along with the obvious cause - severe wind sheer... I am former Air Traffic Controller ... That storm cell went thru Lamai just before the attempted landing - was a ripper - wind gusts must have been around 25~30kts at the time from the SWest... Pilots land based on the actual weather at the time - you can't tell me the Pilot did not see that storm cell approaching - thats what they always look for - he would've known where it was, by just looking out the window - they are highly visible and from that height.

The Pilot should of had 'missed approach - go around' in the back of his mind given the actual conditions. But, the airlines are under a lot of pressure these days in regards costs and missed approaches do cost money. They definitely try to get 'in' as quickly as possible. I feel it was probably a similar story to the crashes at Phuket and Suratthani. Pilots pushed the 'envelope' too far and were just reluctant to do a missed approach procedure (which aren't the nicest for passengers on board).

I've had one of the worst landings of my life at Samui from Utapao - actual wind fairly calm. But have suspected many times due to the rough landings on flights from Utapao (and probably Krabi) that they use these flights for pilot training. So that could possibly be a factor as well.

Passengers stranded at Samui airport to be transported by ferry to Surat Thani airport

Bangkok Airways' passengers, who are left stranded at the Samui Airport, will be transported to the Surat Thani Airport by a ferry and will be airlifted to Bangkok, Captain Puttipong Prasarttong-Osoth, president of the Bangkok Airways told a press conference.

The Samui Airport was temporarily shut down following the accident of Bangkok Airways' PG266 flight that killed the pilot and injured the co-pilot and 9 passengers

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 03/08/09http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/30109065/Passengers-stranded-at-Samui-airport-to-be-transpo

Bangkok Airways plane skids out of runway at Samui Airport

KOH SAMUI: -- A Bangkok Airways plane caught fire Tuesday afternoon after it skidded out of and crashed into the Control Tower building while landing at its Samui Airport Tuesday afternoon.

The accident happened at 2:30 pm.

The flight arrived from Krabi.

Several passengers were injured.

-- The Nation 2009-08-04

Hi all,

this is my first post and its not good news.

About 2/3 hours ago , 2/3 pm 4/8/2009 there was an incident/crash of a bangkok airways turboprop plane on the runway at samui airport.

The flight was apparently from Krabi , carrying mostly tourists from uk, france, germany, spain and israel. There were 68 passengers .

at the moment it appears the only fatality was the captain ,but reported in media of 40 injuries , possibly more, .When the plane landed

it skidded off the runway and crashed into the old control tower. There was a storm here at the time with heavy rain and severe winds.

Apparently the airport will be closed for an unspecified time to allow for ongoing investigations.The company has released a tel number

for details / enquieries etc . Call centre: 0848460777.

Sorry for all concerned but also more bad news for tourism in Thailand and Samui in particular.

This could have been far worse.

I hope this is of use to some one.

Edited by thairoaming

I would suspect Pilot Error has some blame in this - along with the obvious cause - severe wind sheer... I am former Air Traffic Controller ... That storm cell went thru Lamai just before the attempted landing - was a ripper - wind gusts must have been around 25~30kts at the time from the SWest... Pilots land based on the actual weather at the time - you can't tell me the Pilot did not see that storm cell approaching - thats what they always look for - he would've known where it was, by just looking out the window - they are highly visible and from that height.

The Pilot should of had 'missed approach - go around' in the back of his mind given the actual conditions. But, the airlines are under a lot of pressure these days in regards costs and missed approaches do cost money. They definitely try to get 'in' as quickly as possible. I feel it was probably a similar story to the crashes at Phuket and Suratthani. Pilots pushed the 'envelope' too far and were just reluctant to do a missed approach procedure (which aren't the nicest for passengers on board).

I've had one of the worst landings of my life at Samui from Utapao - actual wind fairly calm. But have suspected many times due to the rough landings on flights from Utapao (and probably Krabi) that they use these flights for pilot training. So that could possibly be a factor as well.

Perhaps we should wait for the investigation to be completed before making allegations......I am sure a former ATC would understand that

A bit reminiscent of the crash at Surat Thani on 12 December 1998. For which incidentelly the investigation has not yet been released. "we don't want to hurt peoples feelings" was the statement by the Thai chairman at the time :)

One comment in 1999 and I quote "But as a fellow THAI pilot pointed out, the aircrew is under considerable pressure from management to land aircraft and save all the costs of an aborted flight. ''Flying back to Bangkok meant you cost the airline too much extra. This could have weighed on the man at the crucial moment," he said" end of quote.

And to be so far off his approach (today at Samui) to hit the control tower (although there is still some confusion between the tower and the fire truck building) suggests something a bit odd. I haven't been to Samui but I would be surprised if the control tower was built on the side of the runway.

Aircraft accidents can and do happen BUT it is a fact of life that they happen either here in the realm or involving Thai planes way more than what might be described as in 1st world countries. It's not just Thailand. Not one of Indonesia's 51 airlines was permitted to land anywhere in the EU for a spell not so long back.

Why is is some major airlines have never had an accident (resulting in a fatality) since the commencement of the jet age and you could would need to have a computer to record the crashes and resulting fatalities in this region.

It's not rocket science after all.

Edited by john b good

Brits survive Thailand plane crash

11:53am Tuesday 4th August 2009

© Press Association 2009 »

Two British tourists were among those who survived a plane crash in Thailand in which the pilot was killed and a number of passengers were injured.

The pair were travelling with tour operator Gold Medal, which is part of the Thomas Cook holiday group.

"The two are safe and well," said a Thomas Cook spokeswoman.

The Bangkok Airways ATR72 aircraft was travelling from the resort of Krabi in southern Thailand when it skidded off the runway in wet weather and crashed into a disused control tower at the airport on the island holiday destination of Koh Samui.

It is thought that some 20-25 of the 68 passengers were Israelis and that a number of those who were injured suffered broken legs.

Koh Samui, which boasts beautiful beaches as well as coconut plantations and waterfalls, is a popular spot for UK long-haul package travellers as well as backpackers.

Among UK companies which include the island in their brochures are Hayes & Jarvis and Kuoni.

Neither company had any clients on the crashed plane.

A Kuoni spokeswoman said: "We have 84 people on Koh Samui at the moment. The airport has been closed and, if our clients have to stay longer than planned in their hotels, then we have reps on hand to assist them."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/uk_nation..._crash/?ref=rss

Interesting, but in response to your last statement, the deceased captain had just under 20 years experience with the airline and I find it hard to believe he would have entrusted the aircraft to a more junior officer in the interest of pilot training.

I do however agree that the airlines may be "pushing the envelope" as you say, to meet targets. It's incredibly sad that passengers and the families of victims need to suffer such traumas under these circumstances, if this is indeed the case. Is the cost of life so cheap? If aborting a landing may save lives, surely that must be the call to be made, irrespective of the effect it may have on the passengers and any costs incurred to the airline.

gburns:

Do these investigations consistently bring to light what actually happened? People have cited the Surat crash as an investigation that appears to have been masked somewhat preventing the identification of the true cause of the accident.

Edited by ManInSurat

Announced for blood "Group B" help the patient Bangkok Air Express

ผู้สื่อข่าวรายงานความคืบหน้าเหตุเครื่องบินโดยสาร Journalists reporting on the progress a passenger aircraft. บางกอกแอร์เวย์สเที่ยวบิน PG 266 ลื่นไถลออกนอกรันเวย์ Bangkok Airways flight PG 266 skid out Ranewis. ขณะร่อนลงที่สนามบินเกาะสมุย While the screening at the airport Samui จ.สุราษฎร์ธานีว่า Surat Thani. แพทย์ระดมกำลังช่วยเหลือผู้บาดเจ็บอบ่างเต็มที่ Medical help is raising the casualty colugo full. โดยส่วนใหญ่เป็นชาวต่างชาติ Most are foreigners. ขณะนี้ต้องการเลือดกรุ๊ปบีโดยด่วน Now urgently need blood B. มีการออกประกาศทางวิทยุและสถานีโทรทัศน์ท้องถิ่นเพื่อให้ไปบริจาคที่เกาะสมุยแล้ว Has announced the local television and radio stations to donate to the Koh Samui.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y...history_state0=

Update re blood donations;

Update:

Bangkok Hospital is not able to cope with the influx of injured passengers so to lighten the load there, all blood donations – B or otherwise – have to be done at Nathon hospital. There’s just not enough doctors and nurses and medical staff to help facilitate donating blood at Bangkok Hospital.

I appreciate that Nathon is quite far away but your help would be greatly appreciated.