Firefox

francois

hi'

news :

update your Firefox from 1.0 to 1.01 by : tools/options/advanced/check for update

and you'll get the latest version which is 1.01 :D

no restart needed :o

francois

w00hoo! Thanks for the info!

cv

> no restart needed

Note that this is incorrect!! First of all you cannot use Firefox while it downloads the update (the complete installation, so several MB), then it makes you shut down Firefox including anything that you had open in the browser including half-typed replies and emails. (Of course Windows itself doesn't have to restart but really I can't remember any recent software that really forced you to do this these days.. some drivers and system tools only really)

So I would almost suggest to do this only when you have time (esp. if on dial-up) and preferably to just download the latest version separately.. it's NOT a quick patch-update or something!

Anyway, some good came out of this too: because of having to wait for the download to complete I was forced to use Internet Explorer again for an odd 20 mintutes or so.. JESUS!!!! What a slow dog of a program that is!!!! How did I ever live with that for all these years... So... I'll call this a positive as it definitely makes you re-appreciate Firefox!!! :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

And for those too lazy these are the security fixes:

Fixed in Firefox 1.0.1

MFSA 2005-29 Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) homograph spoofing

MFSA 2005-28 Unsafe /tmp/plugtmp directory exploitable to erase user's files

MFSA 2005-27 Plugins can be used to load privileged content

MFSA 2005-26 Cross-site scripting by dropping java script: link on tab

MFSA 2005-25 Image drag and drop executable spoofing

MFSA 2005-24 HTTP auth prompt tab spoofing

MFSA 2005-23 Download dialog source spoofing

MFSA 2005-22 Download dialog spoofing using Content-Disposition header

MFSA 2005-21 Overwrite arbitrary files downloading .lnk twice

MFSA 2005-20 XSLT can include stylesheets from arbitrary hosts

MFSA 2005-19 Autocomplete data leak

MFSA 2005-18 Memory overwrite in string library

MFSA 2005-17 Install source spoofing with user:pass@host

MFSA 2005-16 Spoofing download and security dialogs with overlapping windows

MFSA 2005-15 Heap overflow possible in UTF8 to Unicode conversion

MFSA 2005-14 SSL "secure site" indicator spoofing

MFSA 2005-13 Window Injection Spoofing

You can use Firefox while it is downloading, but obviously the download uses a large percentage of your bandwidth.

Once downloaded you must exit Firefox and install the new version. Best to exit anything else you may have running, but I left my dial-up connection running.

There IS a warning about installing the new version into the same folder as the old one, see my previous post above, so what I did was to rename the old "Program files/Mozilla Firefox" folder to "Program files/was Mozilla Firefox". Then I installed the new version, which, I am happy to report, did pick up all the extensions I had previously installed.

(Except that I had to uninstall and reinstall the Spellbound spell-checker. It still didn't work until I rebooted the PC. :D Still better than IE though :o )

hi'

I don't know how you do this but, on one machine I just finish to setup, I checked the connection(wifi) and some of the software I just installed, firefox included,

configured it, and then in the advanced tab/software update, I made a click on "check now", and the update window told me, there is an update available ...

so I took it, when the download finished, I was asked to close firefox in order to install the new version, and a few seconds later, I had the new and latest version installed and working fine+ :D

went today again to check al this after reading about your problems to get it and again an update for "tabbrowser" up to version 1.22 and some more extensions ...

this was for one machine, when I saw this I went on my working machine and did the same and it all worked the same, fine thanks :D

so, I really don't understand what happened to you all :D

and no, cdnvic it is not a dream :o not at all ... :D

as I updated some of my customers's machine already too :D

(I had to forbid them using M$ IE.. tired of M$ problems due to this system-hole)

francois

Edited by francois

hi'..... it all worked the same, fine thanks :D

so, I really don't understand what happened to you all :D.....

francois

:D:D:D Some people just have a "magic touch" when it comes to computers :D , others don't :o . At work back in the UK people would come to me complaining that something wasn't working on their PC, so I would make them show me what was wrong - I stood over them while they tried to reproduce the problem and..... MAGIC! No problem! Of course, they always swore that they did exactly the same thing before.... :D

Francois,

Are you sure you are not downloading updates for your plug-ins ??

Certain plug-ins must be updated for v1.01

hi'

I did so after the download of the firefox update :o

and I got two updates, one main ext, the tabbrowser one as I said :D

francois