Health Insurance After 65

I've read on another forum that it is "impossible" or too expensive to get health insurance in Thailand over 65. Is this correct?

If it is, what do all the old expats do?

If I'm married to a Thai lady, am I covered by Thai public health, and is it any good?

Thanks for any help.

PS, I'll be covered under travel insurance for my first year, as at present, but if I move over permanently, that will probably not be an option.

I've read on another forum that it is "impossible" or too expensive to get health insurance in Thailand over 65. Is this correct?

If I'm married to a Thai lady, am I covered by Thai public health, and is it any good?

Thanks for any help.

PS, I'll be covered under travel insurance for my first year, as at present, but if I move over permanently, that will probably not be an option.

Why don't you apply for a quote online from Thai Visa insurance.

If it's any help BUPA will only cover you until you 70 years of age unless you have joined before your 60th birthday. I am in that catergory and I am now in my final year with them at 70 years of age, price for this year was 77.000 Baht. Uk Bupa = about 200.000 baht for the same age but beter cover.

LMG insurance will give continous life cover with reasonably rates.

Look online for a qoutes.

Cheers

1. If you have any, and I mean any, preexisting conditions you can forget about any kind of meaningful coverage. There are insurance companies out there that advertise coverage for those over 65, but it comes with a price.

2. Old expats either have coverage from somewhere (retired military) or are self insured; i.e. pay cash at the front door of the hospital.

3. Marriage alone does not entitle you to coverage under the Thai public healthcare system.

tbl - are you sure you are fully covered under your travel policy ?

I am not doubting what you say but most policies only have 30 days cover. I have arranged 50 days cover in any one visit.

A couple of points here - first the cost of insurance depends on the coverage but as an example a person of 66 (right up to 70 !) need only pay 11,170 Baht per year ..............

Travel Insurance - as the name suggests this is for traveling/holidays. The insurance company is within their rights to withhold payment if they find you are 'living' in a foreign country (yes they can find out very easily and they will check for large claims) sorry.

Thanks for any help.

My husband is 67, I'm 56. We have coverage with IAG here and their service is very good, but they are quite expensive. Also as someone mentioned, any pre-existing conditions will be excluded. I think my husband was 64 when we first applied, so I'm not sure they'd accept you over 65 but you can check it out.

http://www.nzihealthcare.com/

Contact Nick Kennewell Nick.Kennewell [at] iag.co.th

"If you have any, and I mean any, preexisting conditions you can forget about any kind of meaningful coverage. There are insurance companies out there that advertise coverage for those over 65, but it comes with a price."

One well known local Insurance representative told me that any insurance coverage that you're able to get after age 60 will come at a very high premium cost, as well as a very high deductible amount.

He said that after age 60, almost everything that you might need coverage for is considered "pre-existing", which is exempt from coverage-- so you're really only covered in case of some unpredictable event, such as an accident.

"If you have any, and I mean any, preexisting conditions you can forget about any kind of meaningful coverage. There are insurance companies out there that advertise coverage for those over 65, but it comes with a price."

One well known local Insurance representative told me that any insurance coverage that you're able to get after age 60 will come at a very high premium cost, as well as a very high deductible amount.

He said that after age 60, almost everything that you might need coverage for is considered "pre-existing", which is exempt from coverage-- so you're really only covered in case of some unpredictable event, such as an accident.

That may well be true of the company he represents but a Broker will show there are several companies who do not impose these stipulations.

"That may well be true of the company he represents but a Broker will show there are several companies who do not impose these stipulations."

Would you be willing to elaborate in some detail here in a public Forum, whatever options are available to Expats 65 or over?

Some general information on Coverage details, Maximum payout limits, Premiums, Deductible levels, etc.?

"That may well be true of the company he represents but a Broker will show there are several companies who do not impose these stipulations."

Would you be willing to elaborate in some detail here in a public Forum, whatever options are available to Expats 65 or over?

Some general information on Coverage details, Maximum payout limits, Premiums, Deductible levels, etc.?

Many of the local & expat health insurance companies put a 60 or 65 age limit & only cover you to 70.

LMG is an exception (local) - they will cover you for life, with the usual pre-existing-condition exclusions, but will require a full medical - paid by you.

Another channel is to search for 'Ajarn Tony' or 'Ask Tony'. He is a local broker - very helpful - & will provide you with choices, after he knows your age etc.

according to some thai posts on lmg auto insurance--its policy on auto insurance appeared to take advantage of the insured, in the posted case, lmg wanted the insured to pay 8000 baht for the deductable....????

so read the fine print on lmg insurance policy, before signing up, alright?

check the post yourself--at google, type in LMG INSURANCE....

this po has no prio info on lmg, except from reference on this forum.

Thanks for any help.

Why don't you apply for a quote online from Thai Visa insurance.

If it's any help BUPA will only cover you until you 70 years of age unless you have joined before your 60th birthday. I am in that catergory and I am now in my final year with them at 70 years of age, price for this year was 77.000 Baht. Uk Bupa = about 200.000 baht for the same age but beter cover.

LMG insurance will give continous life cover with reasonably rates.

Look online for a qoutes.

Cheers

Thanks. I did try to get a quote from Thai Visa on line, but they kept sending me details for TRAVEL insurance, despite me phoning them. In the end I gave up.

tbl - are you sure you are fully covered under your travel policy ?

I am not doubting what you say but most policies only have 30 days cover. I have arranged 50 days cover in any one visit.

Yes, one year ( from Flight Centre in New Zealand ).

A couple of points here - first the cost of insurance depends on the coverage but as an example a person of 66 (right up to 70 !) need only pay 11,170 Baht per year ..............

Travel Insurance - as the name suggests this is for traveling/holidays. The insurance company is within their rights to withhold payment if they find you are 'living' in a foreign country (yes they can find out very easily and they will check for large claims) sorry.

That interesting compared to what other people are claiming they are paying. ie Denboy for instance. What is the deductable and maximum cover?

still waiting. :)

Southern cross in NZ will cover you until your 80 years old living over seas, It's called working over seas insurance and available to all Kiwi's, $1500.00 NZ per year if your 65

Thanks minefield.

Given the cost of all the various options, looks like I'll be bringing the beloved back to my own country where hospital care is free.

Southern cross in NZ will cover you until your 80 years old living over seas, It's called working over seas insurance and available to all Kiwi's, $1500.00 NZ per year if your 65

Thanks minefield.

Given the cost of all the various options, looks like I'll be bringing the beloved back to my own country where hospital care is free.

I hope that you don't come from the UK, because we are given to understand that the rule is now that if you live abroad you are NOT entitled to the free National Health service until you have spent 9 months back in the uk. So much for paying taxes and national insurances all your blxxdy life.

Thanks minefield.

I hope that you don't come from the UK, because we are given to understand that the rule is now that if you live abroad you are NOT entitled to the free National Health service until you have spent 9 months back in the uk. So much for paying taxes and national insurances all your blxxdy life.

Agreed that it's rubbish. However, as I'll be moving back as soon as I can get her a visa, shouldn't be a problem.

PS, I won't be living in the UK, but it's probably same rules in my country.