Italian Restaurant Owner Died In Bike Accident On Kpg?

Heaven, has anyone heard about a fatal motorbike accident on 1st or 2nd August in Ban Tai on Koh Phangan?

According to roumors there was an italian farang (restaurant owner in Haad Rin) driving very fast crashing frontal into another motorbike

close to 7/11?

Anyone who knows more?

There is an Italian on Koh Phangan who owns restaurants - Angiud - but he has been posting until today so it's not him, fortunately.

But he must know if something happened; let's wait for his report.

LaoPo

Ok, I didn't want to post because I was sad about the accident. Anyway 6 days ago, about 1.30 am, in Bantai, near the taxi stop place, Andrea, the owner of former Colosseo restaurant of Haad Rin, now L'Arena, was going back home with a motorbike when suddenly a bike coming from a side road cross his way. The crash, due to the speed, was very strong and both Andrea and the two burmese in the other bike were dead after the impact. Tragic was that the wife and a close friend of him were in a car some hundred meters behind him and they just see the accident arriving a few seconds later.

Now the body has been released and is on his way to Italy.

My sincere condolence to the wife Laura and to the italian parents.

Ok, I didn't want to post because I was sad about the accident. Anyway 6 days ago, about 1.30 am, in Bantai, near the taxi stop place, Andrea, the owner of former Colosseo restaurant of Haad Rin, now L'Arena, was going back home with a motorbike when suddenly a bike coming from a side road cross his way. The crash, due to the speed, was very strong and both Andrea and the two burmese in the other bike were dead after the impact. Tragic was that the wife and a close friend of him were in a car some hundred meters behind him and they just see the accident arriving a few seconds later.

Now the body has been released and is on his way to Italy.

My sincere condolence to the wife Laura and to the italian parents.

:D I am so sorry to hear that Angiud!

My condolences to the wife and families involved; one moment you're alive...the next moment it's "your" time.

Life can be so cruel sometimes :D

LaoPo :)

Speed, once again, kills.

Just returning from Koh Phangan and Koh Tao last week I again noticed that there appears to be some ratio between how long you have been there and how fast you drive. The tourists seem to putter along like grannies (read: safe), while the folks who live there rip down the roads at white-knuckle speed (read: unsafe).

It is as if there is some thinking along the lines of, "I have traveled on this road a hundred times; therefore, speed is no longer as dangerous as it once was for me."

I don't know if alcohol was involved in either of the drivers, but any time you hear about someone coming home at 1:30 in the morning you have to wonder.

All I can say is SLOW DOWN. Nothing is very far away from where you are going in Koh Phangan or Koh Tao (or Samui, really), so what's the rush? Particularly in the middle of the night.

Wonder also if either was wearing a helmet.

Just returning from Koh Phangan and Koh Tao last week I again noticed that there appears to be some ratio between how long you have been there and how fast you drive. The tourists seem to putter along like grannies (read: safe), while the folks who live there rip down the roads at white-knuckle speed (read: unsafe).

It is as if there is some thinking along the lines of, "I have traveled on this road a hundred times; therefore, speed is no longer as dangerous as it once was for me."

I don't know if alcohol was involved in either of the drivers, but any time you hear about someone coming home at 1:30 in the morning you have to wonder.

All I can say is SLOW DOWN. Nothing is very far away from where you are going in Koh Phangan or Koh Tao (or Samui, really), so what's the rush? Particularly in the middle of the night.

there's alot of truth in what you say, although regarding this terrible tragedy, i really think too early to speculate.

Brings me back though to the same question When are the police going tp do something to improve the safety of every road user

Since he was a restaurant owner, chances are, Mark, he was coming home after the restaurant closed.

He was going home after the restaurant closed. The wife and the partner following him a few hundred meters behind him with a car.

In the same weeks the english owner of another Haad Rin restaurant had an accident, staying a 20 minutes without pulse, after being rehanimated. A german business owner in Haad Rin actually stays in Surathani hospital after a very bad bike accident.

I can list more..

Sure, like Mark Wolfe says, the speed and the lack of safety gears, plus the complete incompetence of many local people in the drive, plus sometime the alcohol, are the main reasons for these accidents.

Sometimes just the fate.

You know what Mark you are very right. When I was living in Phangan I would drive to and from had Rin twice a day...and like most people...once I became familiar withthe road, my speed crept up. I often would only realise how fast I had been going when I checked my watch after the journey. It is only now when I go back to visit and i drive the road that it seems less familiar to me, and I relaiuse again how dangerous it is.

The most dangerous time of the month was always around full moon. Mainly because the taxis drive so fast and take up most of the road, often forcing bikes off the road. And of course you have the first timers giving it a go too (though often they are the only ones wearing helmets!). And of course over-cocky locals.

My thoughts go out to the families of all involved. I can imagine the loss of those two Burmese lads will be a blow to their families not just emotionally but financially. Most Burmese workers are supporting huge families at home and are the lucky ones who have made it here to work. Without their incomes life is going to be pretty tough.

i'd say quite the opposite. its frequently the tourist who have little bike experience and no experience on the crappy sandy roads we have that are flying around at high speed. if you've lived on KPN for a while and are still intact, its probably because you know how to ride safe.

i'd say quite the opposite. its frequently the tourist who have little bike experience and no experience on the crappy sandy roads we have that are flying around at high speed. if you've lived on KPN for a while and are still intact, its probably because you know how to ride safe.

I agree that the tourists who often have never ridden a bike anywhere much less here are a big source of danger...but the locals and non-local workers are WAY worse.

And just because he was a restaurant owner does NOT mean he was not drunk...in fact, in my experience, he probably had a few to worse...

sad loss for all :D ...but let's not act like it did not happen, deny the truth and reasons, etc as usual! for once!!! ??? :) KPNG and Samui ARE incredibly dangerous places...that will never change just acting like it is not the case

I think its very unfair to point the blame on anyone involved in this accident, none of us saw it first hand. I would like to express my sympathy to all family and friends involved, the Burmese are people too after all.

Of course they're people but it's VERY likely that the were not actual legal people..

I think its very unfair to point the blame on anyone involved in this accident, none of us saw it first hand. I would like to express my sympathy to all family and friends involved, the Burmese are people too after all.

Of course they're people but it's VERY likely that the were not actual legal people..

And, Mr. Singh, what has THAT to do with 3 dead people ? :)

Is an -eventual- illegal not a human being ?

LaoPo

And, Mr. Singh, what has THAT to do with 3 dead people ? :)

Is an -eventual- illegal not a human being ?

LaoPo

I think the crux there is that since these people may have been illegals, they should not have been here in the first place. And, using that theory, wouldn't have been involved in an accident, thus saving lives.

It's an interesting thought experiment, but really doesn't go very far since a person could speculate on "what ifs" until the cows come home.

And by the way, no one is pointing a finger of blame at anyone.

The main point is bike are dangerous, i will never drive at home on 2 weels, what happen if somebody open the car door without checking the rear mirror?

I always go slow but if people crash on you very fast it won't help.

the solution is simple, no bike :)

I will spend more and rent a small suzuki.....and don't tell me that that "car" will not survive a collision with a big toyota SUV, i know, but at least with bikes i'll have a belt and 4 weels...

That stretch of road always makes me nervous. I've ridden bikes for 30 yrs and raced professionally at one point, but the hills, blind corners, trucks, crazy drivers of all nationalities - local and foreign etc makes me go reaaaaaaalllllllly slow. There are so many places for something bad to happen. I was coming back to Haad Rin one time through Baan Kai and where the road goes through that S bend, where all the shop houses are close together a minivan full of tourists was passing a truck who was trying to pass a motorbike. I had no where to go but onto someones front porch. A very close call.

RIP to Andrea.

RIP to Andrea and the two other persons involved in this tragedy.

Condolences to Laura, family and friends.

Andrea was always a great host either on duty, at his restaurant or even better, privately, at his wonderful house.

Now, regarding that road, it's a speed track since it has been renovated and asphalted several years ago.

Maybe the old -dirt one- was a nightmare most of the time, but at least we were driving on it with much more apprehension.