Application For Leave To Remain In Uk

My Thai wife [official Amphur job] and I will be spending a holiday in UK next year. I have no plans at present to resettle in UK but accept the possibility that I may one day. This could happen for a variety of reasons, and I am 67.

Is there any advantage in applying early. How long would permission stay valid if given. Anyone jumped through this hoop?

One can ask for a settlement visa to be post dated for a maximum of three months, so cannpt apply any earlier than that. If she were to apply for a settlemnt visa, and not use it, it would lapse, so the money would be wasted.

While in the UK for your holiday it may be worth your wife taking the Life in the UK test. That way, if you do decide at some point in the future to apply for settlement in the UK instead of getting a 2 year settlement visa, at the end of which she would apply for indefinite leave to remain, she will be granted indefinite leave to enter; provided you have been living together for at least 4 years.

See here for more on this.

One can ask for a settlement visa to be post dated for a maximum of three months, so cannpt apply any earlier than that. If she were to apply for a settlemnt visa, and not use it, it would lapse, so the money would be wasted.

While in the UK for your holiday it may be worth your wife taking the Life in the UK test. That way, if you do decide at some point in the future to apply for settlement in the UK instead of getting a 2 year settlement visa, at the end of which she would apply for indefinite leave to remain, she will be granted indefinite leave to enter; provided you have been living together for at least 4 years.

Thank you good advice

Is the candidate allowed to work during the initial two year period or is that a privilege reserved for after ILR is granted?