Help Me Understand Thai Toilets.

chrgrims

Whilst slightly off topic, I thought I would tell you my humerous little story about my septic system becoming full the other day :) & I was like OMG what are we going to do? :D

The GF's father attended to the systems immediate need to have the sewerage re-enter the house via the toilet (as not much <deleted> needs to flow to overrun a squat toilet).

The very next morning a little man came walking along the soi yelling out in thai, how he would like to suck septic systems clean. The father then entered into serious negotiations to have our system emptied, securing a price of 600 baht. The sucked the system clean, with the father supervising & hosing the septic down & have that sludge removed as well :D .

Absolutely amazing stuff, I would of paid 6,000 baht to have that baby cleared and there was no way I would of been supervising the work. Its a serious business this crap removal service & there must have been at least 8 thai guys riding ontop of the poo truck as it left the soi. <deleted>? :D:D

The most amazing thing about Thai septic cleaning vacuum trucks is that the driver is always called Terdsak.

And he happily sits on top of the shit cart. :D

Artisi: Thanks for that graphic. I was having problems visualizing just how that system would work, and now it's perfectly clear.

nice graph but wrong design. a septic tank should at least have two separate chambers. three are ven better. that enables the bacteria to break down the solids which slowly dissolve and become liquids. a properly designed septic tank (that applies especially to the volume) does not need to be pumped out in a decade or two. the average thai septic system is nothing but a joke designed by ignorants.

Artisi: Thanks for that graphic. I was having problems visualizing just how that system would work, and now it's perfectly clear.

nice graph but wrong design. a septic tank should at least have two separate chambers. three are ven better. that enables the bacteria to break down the solids which slowly dissolve and become liquids. a properly designed septic tank (that applies especially to the volume) does not need to be pumped out in a decade or two. the average thai septic system is nothing but a joke designed by ignorants.

What was illistrated was a simple primary tank arrangement and I agree that a secondary tank is important both correctly sized with sufficient retention time in conjunction with a properly designed drainage field - and yes the average Thai system is a poor joke.

When I lived in rural US, we had simple septic tanks.

We seriously limited strong chemicals - cleaners, detergents, etc.

Every 6 months, I would flush a cup of dried yeast down the toilet to charge up the septic - seemed to work fine. Maybe more expensive than roadkill, but ...

Your welcome welo

Dont know if yours is constructed the same as mine here in bkk but mine is under the car port and both primary and secondary tanks have openings, Its a plastic cover fixed with 2 screws and a rubber seal,

Depending how strong your stomach is if you come across a road kill...rather a smelly rotting one ...take it with you and drop it in the primary tank, It sounds strange i know but helps to pep the system up and i cant imagine anyone complaining about you packing a dead chicken or soi dog under your arm.

I am living in the province, hence I have the cement ring kind of 'tank' behind the house. The top 10cm of the tank and the cement cover is visible. I didn't dare to move the cover yet - will do that when I am mentally prepared for it...

Every 6 months, I would flush a cup of dried yeast down the toilet to charge up the septic - seemed to work fine. Maybe more expensive than roadkill, but .

This will be my backup plan in case the Thai chicken are good runners :)

welo

I echo the comments above about not using too many/much chemicals when cleaning the bathroom or wc, either random road kill (fresh but not too fresh) and or some road-side deposits from cattle can help get it going nicely. Covering the tanks to prevent rain water diluting the mixture is wise, you should avoid allowing rain water to be directed into these tanks as well.