Shopping Trip To Hong Kong

apetley

Hi, wifey and I are planning a shopping trip to Hong Long in the near future.

She wants to have a look at some clothing, I want to take a look at some electrical gadgets.

Does anyone have any recommendations of the best markets to look at please.

Thanks for reading, Andy.

Hi, wifey and I are planning a shopping trip to Hong Long in the near future.

She wants to have a look at some clothing, I want to take a look at some electrical gadgets.

Does anyone have any recommendations of the best markets to look at please.

Thanks for reading, Andy.

Hongkong has endless amount of shops, so it depends on which locations you're staying in ...

you can have in all in Tsimsy, Mongkok, Causeway Bay, Wanchai or Central ...

The Mongkok nightmarket is a tourist experience, but this is not shopping for quality

Gadgets is too broad again ... TST golden mile carries the latest (grey market) imports,

the prices are higher and certain shops are blacklisted by tourist association

e.g. professional camera shops "Kwong Tai" is in Stanley Street - near antiques area

IMHO I recommend Causeway Bay district and can spend days inside "Times Square"

http://www.timessquare.com.hk/en/

I believe that there are less rip-off incidents on the Island (smaller) than comparing with Mongkok on the peninsular ...

Edited by jerrylee

Hi

agree with jerrylee - HK is pretty much a shopping mecca!

For clothes, it really depends on what kind your wife is looking for. Cheap & cheerful - guess Ladies markets for a browse (it's an experience anyhow!). For mid-range casual, there are chain stores like Giordano, Bossini etc. all over and v. reasonable. For reasonable work clothes, G2000 or Giordano Ladies. There's a large H&M in Central. For upmarket international brands, head over to IFC mall. Harbour City is another mall on the Tsimshatsui side which is huge and has loads of shops. But I usually stick to Causeway Bay if time is limited. As well as Times Square, there's also Sogo which is interesting (and you can usually ask for a discount there too).

For gadgets, do your research beforehand. Things like cameras for example, you really need to know your stuff as there are all sorts of dodgy practises e.g. switching a non-Nikon lens for the Nikon camera you just bought for a 'bargain price'. Also check warranty - international or not. The chains like Broadway (and there's another prolific chain but I've forgotten it's name) are quite reasonable. Somebody actually told me you can try and bargain even in the Mongkok branch of these chains, but I've never tried it.

Mongkok

<b>24 people injured in Hong Kong acid attack; 3rd attack of its kind </b>

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Tuesday, June 9th 2009, 12:52 PM

An unidentified assailant hurled acid in a busy Hong Kong shopping district,

injuring 24 pedestrians including a 4-year old girl, police said Tuesday.

It was the third in a series of acid attacks that have hurt some 100 people.

Police said a bottle of corrosive liquid was thrown on a crowd in the <b>Mong Kok district </b>

on Monday <b>night.</b> None of the victims, aged 4 to 49, were seriously burned .........

"I thought the attack would be stopped, but it <b>happened again,</b>"

one of the victims surnamed Leung was quoted as saying in

Hong Kong's Ming Pao Daily News.<b> "I always go to Mong Kok,

but from now on I'll never go to that area again."</b>

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2...hong_kong_.html

Don't worry when arriving at Hongkong airport just get hold of some free brochers and you can shop till you drop...just bring a lot of money...

Hongkong is the shopping paradise of Asia...cheap and good..happy shopping.. :)

Sorry I disagree, As a past resident in HK for 20 years, I think that the shopping is split into two sectors, the upmarket Malls and shops such as brand names and the second is the rest. Of course bargains can be had, but HK is NOT AS CHEAP as people believe and scams are very common. Majority of Electrical outlets dont show prices, its up to you to haggle for the prices you believe are right, but beware the bait and switch scam which is very prevelant. It is always said to buy only from outlets that show the HKTA logo, after which, if you feel you have been cheated you can take your complaint to the Tourist Association. Bkkmei mentions "Broadway" which I always thought was not up to much but other chains such "Fortress" can be trusted.

If you have the time and dont mind getting a China Visa then take the KCR to Lo Wu and cross into SHenzhen where there is a shopping mall right outside the station. but again remember the "Buyer beware " slogan

Sorry I disagree, As a past resident in HK for 20 years, I think that the shopping is split into two sectors, the upmarket Malls and shops such as brand names and the second is the rest. Of course bargains can be had, but HK is NOT AS CHEAP as people believe and scams are very common. Majority of Electrical outlets dont show prices, its up to you to haggle for the prices you believe are right, but beware the bait and switch scam which is very prevelant. It is always said to buy only from outlets that show the HKTA logo, after which, if you feel you have been cheated you can take your complaint to the Tourist Association. Bkkmei mentions "Broadway" which I always thought was not up to much but other chains such "Fortress" can be trusted.

If you have the time and dont mind getting a China Visa then take the KCR to Lo Wu and cross into SHenzhen where there is a shopping mall right outside the station. but again remember the "Buyer beware " slogan

I quite liked the downscale Stanley market when i was there :)

Bkkmei mentions "Broadway" which I always thought was not up to much but other chains such "Fortress" can be trusted.

Fortress - that's the name I couldn't remember!

Shenzhen though - ugh!

Hi

I am going to Hong Kong this month for the very same reason

Its my 3rd trip for shopping

The Ladies market is a definite must

There are hundreds of shops for everything you want without too much travelling

Take some time to see more of Hong Kong if you can Port Stanley and Lantau Island being two of my favourites

I will stay in Kowloon on Nathan Road its wall to wall shopping stores and 24/7 opening hours - the hotel is double glazed so you think you are in the countryside :) !!

Have fun!!

If you do not want to cry - do not buy anything in shops on so called GoldenMile(beginning of Nathan Rd in TST).

Do not even enter shops there,mere window shopping can be the beginning of "incident".

You can buy everything electronics in Broadway and Fortress shops in MongKok,prices are displayed,you can try to bargain,often - succesfully!They have many items,which are exclusive - nobody else have them.I think Broadway is better.

You will find three their shops in radius of 100mtrs,right next to subway and very near to LadiesMarket.This is safe option for you.

Computer stuff - look for it in MongKok Comp.Cntr;do not go to Wanchai Comp.Cntr - much more expensive(they have even touts from UK

on payrolls!).After you are done - you can proceed to Langham Place for real shopping with your lady.You may also stay in Langham Hotel.

Langham Place in Mongkok is world class shopping mall,worth look - very interesting design.

Trip to Shenzen is very easy,if you want to buy electronics "made in China" - what you see there - is overhelming!

you can get your mini-iphone there for 50$,somebody on this forum paid - 9000B in LOS for the same.(in Robinson!)

There is also night market on Temple Street - very good for souvenirs.One stop from MongKok.