Joint Names- Important?

My Thai wife is currently here in oz on a six month tourist visa. She has previously been here with me on a three mth visa. We have been married in Australia for four months. Our problem is that i have been slack in starting the Visa app paperwork. We can supply everything except the joint name stuff. We have only 6 days before we go to Thailand.I tried to open a joint bank account, but my bank will not, because she is not a resident. (QCCU). I have been lax, and have not put her name on my bills, power etc. But she has no money/ income. Can anyone tell me if this will be ok for our visa application before I pay the money. Thanks guys.

I had the same problem....and got around it by supplying individual postal correspondence that had one of our names, date and address on it, then they could could see that we were living together etc at the same time.

One thing I was able to do quickly was to make her the beneficiary of my superannuation - I rang them and they sent a letter out immediately stating the change.

I think I also stated in the application (it was for the PR) that we did everything together but maintained separate bank accounts, etc because it was easier that way. Had no queries from Immi.

I had the same problem....and got around it by supplying individual postal correspondence that had one of our names, date and address on it, then they could could see that we were living together etc at the same time.

One thing I was able to do quickly was to make her the beneficiary of my superannuation - I rang them and they sent a letter out immediately stating the change.

I think I also stated in the application (it was for the PR) that we did everything together but maintained separate bank accounts, etc because it was easier that way. Had no queries from Immi.

Aha. Thanks for that. I was about to give up on this trip. She is a beneficiary in my will, and we have mail. I,ll try to get the bank to change account name tomorrow. Good on ya.

You could fill in a statutory declaration that your wife lives with you at (your address in Australia) since (date).

For the visa application,

You will need your marriage certificate ( a certified copy )

A document from both of you stating " the how. when and why" of your "relationship".

Remember you are in a dejure marriage not a defacto one, where the proof is more onerous.

You could fill in a statutory declaration that your wife lives with you at (your address in Australia) since (date).

A document from both of you stating " the how. when and why" of your "relationship".

Remember you are in a dejure marriage not a defacto one, where the proof is more onerous.

Not correct - proof required is the the same with regards to establishing that a spouse relationship is genuine. Whether someone is a spouse by virtue of a de-facto or de-jure relationship, the factors taken into consideration in determining whether the relationship is genuine are fundamentally the same.

My Thai wife is currently here in oz on a six month tourist visa. She has previously been here with me on a three mth visa. We have been married in Australia for four months. Our problem is that i have been slack in starting the Visa app paperwork. We can supply everything except the joint name stuff. We have only 6 days before we go to Thailand.I tried to open a joint bank account, but my bank will not, because she is not a resident. (QCCU). I have been lax, and have not put her name on my bills, power etc. But she has no money/ income. Can anyone tell me if this will be ok for our visa application before I pay the money. Thanks guys.

You dont necessarily need joint accounts etc... you have to show you have an ongoing and genuine relationship. this can be shown by the two 888 stat decs, marriage certificates and your own statements. supported by photos, letters addressed to her at your address, party invitations to the both of you are good as well as they are usually dated.

I was told I couldnt have my wife as a second card holder by my bank for the same reason as you have stated, I got a second card and gave it to her, she used it over the counter in Thailand and they put a stop on it. When she came back, we went to the bank and told them what was said before. This time we were told it was allowed for her to be a second card holder on my account and all she needed was a passport to open it. We did this and everything was good after that.

Not correct - proof required is the the same with regards to establishing that a spouse relationship is genuine. Whether someone is a spouse by virtue of a de-facto or de-jure relationship, the factors taken into consideration in determining whether the relationship is genuine are fundamentally the same.

I would agree with Bridge.....each application is taken on its own merits and the determining factors are basically the same....with a defacto relationship you have to satisfy the 12 month living together requirement which can be a little confusing for some people

I think you will find that a defacto relationship requires a minimum period of 12 months living together cohabiting as man and wife.

With a dejure marriage you have a certificate which is proof of your marriage, you may live apart on a temporary basis, eg your wife may be in Thailand and you may be in Australia

but you need to supply evidence of spouse support. With a dejure marriage that 12 month

period does not apply, although DIAC like to see at least 6 months total relationship period.

But it can be less.

When the application for my wife was processed it was done with the minimum of documentation. No form 888s. Married in Thailand. But I did have detailed copies of IMT

transfers to her bank account every month. With a copy of my will.

My wife received her PR 100 visa at the end of last month. Documentation for this was very

simple. Basically fill in two pro forma statutory declatations on for each party and supply an

Australian Police Certificate along with a pro forma cover notification sheet.

Utilities and bank accounts are in separate names.

The two proforma statutory declarations consisted of six short statements each, I will post these at a later date.

And here is the statements for the statutory declarations for PR 100 visa.

(Attachment)

Item 9 of Statutory Declaration by Applicant.

1. My husband and I live together.

2. My husband looks after all financial affairs as he is the income earner.

3. My husband supports me financially.

4. I am responsible for household duties and the purchasing of household

supplies.

5. Events outside the home are carried out on a joint basis, eg, shopping and

recreation etc.

6. We regard ourselves as a normal married couple.

(Attachment)

Item 9 of Statutory Declaration by Sponsor.

1. My wife and I live together.

2. As husband I look after all financial affairs as I am the income earner.

3. I support my wife financially.

4. My wife has made herself responsible for household duties, she purchases

all household supplies.

5. Events outside the home are carried out on a joint basis, eg, shopping and

recreation etc.

6. We regard ourselves as a normal married couple.

I tried to open a joint bank account, but my bank will not, because she is not a resident. (QCCU).

While my girlfriend was here on her second 3 month tourist visa we went to the Commonwealth Bank & got a joint account very easy.

I realise it is a bit late but you may want to shop around to see what other banks have to offer

This was the documentation supplied to DIAC for a spouse 309/100 visa.

The proscribed forms required by DIAC for both parties, sponsor and applicant.

Copy of marriage registration (Thai)

Copies of Thai and Australian passports

Copy of Thai ID card

Copies of IMT transfers from Australia

Documents showing proof of income in Australia with one showing sponsors TFN.

Copies of telephone accounts showing calls to Thailand.

Copy of sponsors Will.

Document in Thai from applicant (the how when and where)

Document of above translated into English.

Document in English from sponsor (the how when and where)

Packet of about 24 photos, of both parties together with Thai family members.

Document, Thai Police Clearance certificate

Originals of all documents available at interview.

Medical and X-ray results sent directly to DIAC.

Interview was about 30 mins in length with applicant.

Goanna your Wife can open an Australian bank account, you just have to do this within 6 weeks of arriving in Oz. My Wife had been here 2 times before we got around to doing this.

If your wife has spent a total of 12 months in Australia you will also need AFP Check as well.

Good Luck