Creating Website(need Help)

stats

Dear all

recently i just sign up for the free web hosting by www.netfirms.com....

they provide me witht the free 25mb disk space,email,and file transfer for 1 year...

The problem now is that i am a newbie in this web creating....I tried using the Frontpages 2003 for my web building but it seems there is a little problem....during the process i manage to creat a test page just to uploade it to the netfirm sever....The page that i created went just fine on the server with a text but the Pictures that i load it doesnt seems to be loading on the sever there is an X sign on the failed pics when i try to look at my pages....FYI the filezilla FTP did transfer my ppictures too....But i doesnt understand why the pic doesnt seems to be working online....

here are the file that i load it 1) index.htm 2)adidas.jpg

what me go wrong???

here are my pages www.footballcrazy.netfirms.com

cheers

tytus

Dear all

recently i just sign up for the free web hosting by www.netfirms.com....

they provide me witht the free 25mb disk space,email,and file transfer for 1 year...

The problem now is that i am a newbie in this web creating....I tried using the Frontpages 2003 for my web building but it seems there is a little problem....during the process i manage to creat a test page just to uploade it to the netfirm sever....The page that i created went just fine on the server with a text but the Pictures that i load it doesnt seems to be loading on the sever there is an X sign on the failed pics when i try to look at my pages....FYI the filezilla FTP did transfer my ppictures too....But i doesnt understand why the pic doesnt seems to be working online....

here are the file that i load it 1) index.htm 2)adidas.jpg

what me go wrong???

here are my pages  www.footballcrazy.netfirms.com

cheers

tytus

The page is looking for an image by the name of "adidas_logo_performance.jpg" (no quotes) on the hosted website location. If there is a different name, including case sensitivity for the file that was uploaded it will not be able to find it. Hope that helps.

I have some trouble as well. I use FrontPage to edit my stuff and Cute FTP to move it to the site. Now when I make a change to my local copy and upload it (say the title or add a picture) the old one still remains. Even though I delete the cache and set Maxthon to check the page for a new everytime. Sometimes I delete the webpage itself, reference it direclty via the web and it still shows up. I use Cute FTP to edit it right off the web to see if it has my changes in the HTML and it does - it simply just does not display it. Any ideas?

Tytus:

When I load your page there are 2 images that do not load correctly.

1. http://www.footballcrazy.netfirms.com/fotes/img1.jpg

2. http://www.footballcrazy.netfirms.com/GIF/aus-a%5B1%5D.gif

I got these right-clicking and choosing properties.

Are these images correct in both file name and location? Have you uploaded these subfolders to Netfirms?

It is common practice to kepp all your images in an "Images" sub-folder.

JJDinsay:

I can only guess that your web-hosting service has some lag associated with site changes (not sure why tho). In my experience these lags can be up to an hour depending on the host - a lot of the free hosting servers seem to take longer than the commercial versions. Do your changes eventually show up or not at all?

Good luck.

GG

put your browser on "refresh page every time "in your cache settings.

are you on a unix host ? then everything is case sensitive.

best to have your isp install frontpage extensions on your site and upload directly with frontpage.

yeah i think web host is laging ....Sometimes the pics are there and sometimes its just not there....Ok another Q...If i am to signup for a payable web hosting in thailand will i get the same problem as this ones???

And also is it nessary to get a sub folder to every pages on my site???

What about if every page has the same content e.g same JPEG and GIF files do i still need a sub folder and copy the same JPEG and GIF to every folder??? OR they can just share it in only 1 folder????

thanx all

No need for a subfolder for each page. Unless the site is huge and needs some additional structure for site management purposes, keep it as simple as possible.

Place all the .html fils in your root directory and all images in a \images subfolder. Many different pages can reference the same image - this is encouraged! No point in duplicating files and gobling up your web-space.

In terms of lagging, a paid-for, Thailand based service should not suffer with the lag.

In your case Tytus it is a question of making sure your images reference a valid file location. Neither of your pics on your site as it was when you first posted were actually on the server.

I have used Netfirms in the past and they do suffer from lag from time to time.

HTH.

GGG