Handicraft Shopping Around Chiang Mai

shakun

Dear all,

can anyone residing in Chiang Mai suggest what the best place around Chiang Mai is to buy handicraft? I have been travelling to Chiang Mai thrice already, so I know the Night Market and during my visit last year I was not impressed by what was on offer. It was better the years before. I went to Baan Tawai and similarly found that it was very "touristy" and not as good as when I visited first. Would Borsang/Samkhaeng be better? I would be in interested in wood carved items (e.g. flowers made of light wood, place mats made of textile/bamboo, candles etc.).

Thanks in advance,

shakun

Yes, that stuff they have a lot in Bo Sang. I was there today, taking a guest shopping. Don't take the obvious tourist traps, but there are many regular small shops where prices are very reasonable; you do need to ask for a discount but if you don't look like a total tourist you'll readily get a wholesale price or something very close to it, depending on how much you buy.

It is what it is though, I'd say the same about Ban Tawai and you already indicated you don't appreciate that place. And it's very much the mass produced junk, but at reasonable prices compared to the ridiculous farce that is the Night Bazar.

For more original, creative stuff, the Sunday Walking Street is best. But sometimes you just need a bunch of silk cushions, quilts, napkins, tablecloths, or some wooden lamps or whatever crap people put in their houses, on their floors, beds, tables or walls, and then Bo Sang is a good bet.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Dear all,

can anyone residing in Chiang Mai suggest what the best place around Chiang Mai is to buy handicraft? I have been travelling to Chiang Mai thrice already, so I know the Night Market and during my visit last year I was not impressed by what was on offer. It was better the years before. I went to Baan Tawai and similarly found that it was very "touristy" and not as good as when I visited first. Would Borsang/Samkhaeng be better? I would be in interested in wood carved items (e.g. flowers made of light wood, place mats made of textile/bamboo, candles etc.).

Thanks in advance,

shakun

Samkamphaeng has a 'walking street' from about 4.00pm on Saturdays provided it isn't raining. Locally made handicrafts. Rather like the Sunday walking street in CM but smaller. You might get 10% discount, but the people selling are the ones who made the things, so it's not like the night Bazaar.