Want To Go To Vientiane

I want to fly from Bangkok to Udonthani because I have never been there, do you have any recommendations for Udon and I have to cross the border, is the border from Nong Khai to Vientiana ok and how much do you have to pay to cross the border and I don't have a visa for Laos is that a problem?

The officers at the Nong Khai -Vientiane border are some of the friendliest bunch I've ever seen. :o

Lao visa on arrival is 30 dollars or its THB equivalent. As its name suggests, you can buy it once you get to the border.

That's really strange, abdul... I was there a month ago, and I paid the right amount in Bt, and got to visa without any problems.

However, I recall a Lonely Planet warning about paying the exact amount, as the officials "forget" the change when you get your passport back at the other window.

Or did the official ask exactly1650Bt from you? While it would be a pity, it wouldn't surprise me. Borders are notorious for having their own exchange rates, different from the rest of the world. For instance, the 250Bt border fee at Mae Sai must be paid as 5$ US for the Burmese. :o

The officers at the Nong Khai -Vientiane border are some of the friendliest bunch I've ever seen. :D

Lao visa on arrival is 30 dollars or its THB equivalent. As its name suggests, you can buy it once you get to the border.

I read today,that the Lao visa on arrival is not possible since this month.The roules are changed. :o

That's really strange, abdul... I was there a month ago, and I paid the right amount in Bt, and got to visa without any problems.

However, I recall a Lonely Planet warning about paying the exact amount, as the officials "forget" the change when you get your passport back at the other window.

Or did the official ask exactly1650Bt from you? While it would be a pity, it wouldn't surprise me. Borders are notorious for having their own exchange rates, different from the rest of the world. For instance, the 250Bt border fee at Mae Sai must be paid as 5$ US for the Burmese. :D

The officers at the Nong Khai -Vientiane border are some of the friendliest bunch I've ever seen. :D

I read today,that the Lao visa on arrival is not possible since this month.The roules are changed. :o

I went to Laos last week. On the 1st of March. The visa was indeed $30US but i asked to pay in Baht and it was 1500. As for not issuing visas this month. Then i dont believe this to be true. As i said i was there on the 1st and saw people arriving at the border the next day.

Why fly to Udon when you could go all the way to Vientianne and get your visa on arrival at the airport? Have you been to Vientianne before? If not you ain't missed much. Why not just go direct to Luang Prabang which you can also fly to I think?

Well,in the Lao P.D.R. as in the Pathet Thai the Immigration people make their own rules;if you don't have the 30$ and pay in Baht,they are very happy to help,

at theyr own exchange rate.

I like Vientiane and the Lao people are really friendly,but as long as the visa is expensive and you cannot drive your car in the country,don't visit as often as I would like.

They must really change some things if they want more turists. :o

I also paid 1500baht while my friend had greenbacks and paid $30=1200baht =/-

I guess it depends on which border guy you get, some of them see a quick 300 for themselves.

No use crying, they make the rules and you do have the option of going back across the bridge.