Gprs Internet Connection Performance

Robin

Does anyone have any experience of using AIS GPRS service to get on the Ineternet?? It seems that living in rural Phayao this is tht only chnce I have of getting on line since there is not lnd line to our house. Local Telewiz sshop is not use: nobody there seems to know anything but how to sell me a new mobile phone, but one girls there told my Thai wife that some local people had tried GPRS and did not like it. So does it work?? I have good AIS GSM signal at home and reliable connection and AIS tell me that GPRS is available from my cell.

I have been advised to use a modem and not a new mobile, and I got details of a Solomon modem in Pantip Plaza, but of course nobody could say or show how it worked.

You do not need to buy a modem if your cell phone is GPRS enabled and you have a method of connecting it to your computer. I use Bluetooth which requires either that capability built into your computer or a USB Dongle to connect the phone (which must be Bluetooth capable). Any connection from cell phone to computer should serve your needs though.

I have used GPRS with good success for several months and live in very remote North East part of Thailand.

Good luck to you.

GPRS connections are too slow. DTAC dives approx 32kbps bandwidth and a very high latency.

but something is better than nothing.

agree wih wash if your phone supports GPRS it is *likely* that it supports the modem function. read your phones documentation for options for connecting, bluetooth.....data cable....infra red...

if your phone doesnt support the above function then you would have to buy a gprs modem. you put your sim card into it...connect it to your computer (pcmcia, pci or usb interface).

you have a desktop PC or a laptop?

for notebooks PCMCIA cards are available the product u need is called GPRS air card....costs mayb from 7000 to 13000 baht...

for desktop pcs i guess USB modems are available...not much info regs the same.