Sirichok - Patcharawat War Of Words On Cash For Police Positions

george

Sirichok-Patcharawat war of words on cash for police positions

BANGKOK: -- Democrat MP Sirichok Sopha on Thursday insisted he had evidence on the cash-for-police positions scandal while national police chief General Patcharawat Wongsuwan countered his 30-year career was unblemished.

"I have never heard about buying positions; I have never accepted bribes in my 30 years in the police service," Patcharawat said.

Sirichok confirmed, however, he could back up his allegation about cash payments in exchange for deputy commander-level positions.

"My purpose is to deter the bribery within the police service and not yet aim at unmasking the culprits," he said in a warning that he might release the evidence if the wrongdoing persists.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-13

Its too bad Thai politicians cannot be controlled/monitored like we are on TV. The mods would not allow a topic with out quoting a source, to continue. If Sinchok or anyone else has or is given evidence it should be given to someone of responsibility and legal proceeding started. This seems to be a common ploy by Thai politicians, " I have info which reflects badly or points toward corruption on others and I will release said info if something does not happen". I figure the little sh.ts have been caught out on some of their own nefarious activities and are trying to save their a... I would imagine that finding that 'someone of responsibility' (my term) would be a impossible mission within the Thai borders.

Its too bad Thai politicians cannot be controlled/monitored like we are on TV. The mods would not allow a topic with out quoting a source, to continue. If Sinchok or anyone else has or is given evidence it should be given to someone of responsibility and legal proceeding started.

Without going public that legal proceeding will stop at the first hurdle - police investigation, if they even accept charges against their superiors.

Sirichok's been clear - he doesn't want culprits to be tried and prosecuted, he just wants to stop the bribery that is going on. A practical and sensible thing to do.

You can't possibly have half the senior police being on trial, justice system is not designed to handle cases of such magnitude. Prevention in this case is better than deterrent.

Yes, the system can work even if half of the individuals are corrupt. I watched a state with 77 counties prosecute and jail 75 out of the 77 county commissioners. Corruption which was accepted as a way of life by the people of that state was seen for what it was and its affect on public utilities. It was a beginning and the word seems to have gotten out as to the consquenses of corruption.

"Sirichok confirmed, however, he could back up his allegation about cash payments in exchange for deputy commander-level positions."

Sounds like blackmail to me!

part of a bigger game I think.

They don't want him back while they are investigating the attempted murder on Sondhi. He came back unexpectedly from China and was immediately told to leave his office and go south. I agree that this is a blackmail attempt to pressure him to bugger off.

Sondhi assassination and police reshuffle are two separate subjects. Most of the officers accused by Sirichoke don't give a rat's ass about Sondhi, or Patcharawat, for that matter. It's about getting best position for the next few years - this is not just annual rotation, it's restructuring of the police force itself, everybody needs a foot in the door.

Strange how most people are aware of the buying into positions system . Yet police chief General Patcharawat Wongsuwan hasn't even heard of it. :)

That is really really funny. Oh my. If her does not know this "simple truth" then perhaps he ought not be in the position he is in. What are the job "qualifications" or description of said positions? LOL oh my what a hilarious place.

Strange how most people are aware of the buying into positions system . Yet police chief General Patcharawat Wongsuwan hasn't even heard of it. :)

some assistance maybe required

could I suggest getting a stack of baht and some police rank badges and then take a photo with some body pointing their finger. :D

... as there are no red light activites in this country -

what happened to this guy, the brothel man - Mr.Chuwit?

He was going to "blow it all"?

the whole copy story...

the disappearance of Somchai - the human rights lawyer...

"Shipping Moo"..

and, and, and how many unresolved but "closed" cases?

County and country are different things. County comissioners are probably the lowest species in the government pyramid. Try purging top one hundred FBI officers instead.

Been there, done that, as the ex major of NYC would say. Not FBI, but he did get some of the slim involved in drugs, payoffs etc put back with the criminal element in several monkey houses. When you live and try to take care of a family in a village/county and you see the legal system can work at that level don't you think those people may just grasp that there is a life line out of this cess pool of corruption? Granted it needs to start from both ends, but IT does need to start and then let the chips fall where they may.