Very Negative Advice Given To Travellers From The Uk

churchill

Travel Summary

•We advise against all but essential travel to, or through, the far southern provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla. There continue to be frequent attacks, including bombings and shootings, due to the insurgency in these areas. See the Terrorism section of this advice for more details.

•We advise against all travel to the Preah Vihear (Khaoi Pra Viharn in Thai) temple area. Fighting broke out on 15 October 2008 between Thai and Cambodian troops along the disputed border area near the temple. On 2 April 2009, further hostilities were reported at Veal Antri, near to Preah Vihear. Although talks continue between the two countries, tensions remain high. You should remain alert to the local situation when travelling in other border regions, and at land crossings between the two countries.

•There have been a significant number of confirmed human cases of the A (H1N1) - Swine Influenza virus in Thailand, including a number of deaths, and increased surveillance and control measures are in place. All travellers arriving at airports on international flights will be thermally scanned and will be required to complete a questionnaire about their recent medical history. Passengers with a temperature of over 38°C or who exhibit influenza symptoms will be referred for further diagnosis, and any passenger with suspected H1N1 will be quarantined. The World Health Organisation (WHO) Pandemic Threat Alert Phase has been raised to Level 6. The WHO website at: http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/en/index.html has further details. You should monitor local media reports for any developments and advice. There is a dedicated Swine Flu page on the FCO website: http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-li...rseas/swine-flu. Guidance on Pandemic Flu can be obtained on the UK Department of Health website at www.dh.gov.uk.

•Civil unrest occurred in Bangkok and the seaside resort of Pattaya in the period 11-14 April. There were violent clashes between red-shirted protestors, ordinary Thai citizens and the security forces, leading to two deaths and 130 injuries. Although law and order has been restored, the situation remains volatile and unpredictable. A further outbreak of violence cannot be ruled out. British citizens are, therefore, advised to avoid any large political gatherings in Bangkok as they could turn violent. On Monday 17 August 2009, large protests are expected in the Sanam Luang area. For further information, please see the Political Situation section of this advice.

•The political situation in Thailand remains uncertain. Throughout Thailand, British citizens should exercise great caution and avoid demonstrations or large gatherings of people that might turn violent.

•There is a high threat from terrorism in Thailand. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. There were a number of bomb explosions in Bangkok in 2007. See the Terrorism section of this advice for more details.

•Penalties for possession, distribution or manufacture of drugs are severe and can include the death penalty.

•Outbreaks of Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) in Thailand have resulted in a small number of human fatalities. The last fatality was in August 2006. See the Health (Avian Influenza) section of this advice and Avian and Pandemic Influenza for more details.

•Around 812,000 British nationals visited Thailand in 2008 (Source: Tourism Authority of Thailand). The majority of consular cases occur in Bangkok, Pattaya and Koh Samui.

•We recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling. You should check any exclusions, and that your policy covers you for all the activities you want to undertake. See the General (Insurance) section of this advice and Travel Insurance for more details.

Safety and security

Terrorism/Security

There is a high threat from terrorism throughout Thailand. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. You should exercise caution at all times.

We advise against all but essential travel to, or through, the far southern provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla, where there is continuing violence due to insurgency and civil unrest. On 15 March 2008, there were two bomb attacks at the CS Pattani Hotel in Pattani. Two people were killed and 15 others injured. On 21 June 2008, insurgents killed four people on the Sungai Kolok - Yala train.

Since January 2004, there have been almost daily attacks in the far south. These include arson, bombings and shootings. Targets have included civilians and members of the security forces, government offices, tourist hotels, discotheques and bars, shops, marketplaces, supermarkets, schools, transport infrastructure and trains. Over 3,000 people have been killed and several thousand more injured. No British nationals have been killed in these attacks, but some other foreign nationals have been killed and injured. There is a state of emergency in the provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat. Martial law remains in place in these provinces. Security authorities can detain suspects without charge, censor the media, conduct searches and seize documents. Martial law is also in place in the Chana and Thepha districts of Songkhla province.

If you are considering travel to, or through, the far southern provinces of Thailand, you should seriously reflect on whether or not your journey is absolutely necessary. If you do decide to go ahead with your trip you are advised to regularly review your own and your family's security arrangements.

On 31 December 2006, a series of bomb explosions in Bangkok killed three people and injured at least 36 others, including six foreigners. Since then there have been a number of attacks in Bangkok, with motives which remain unclear. Most have been small and caused no casualties.

There was a small explosion in a Tesco Lotus supermarket in Nakon Ratchasima in the early hours of 4 September 2008, causing limited damage to the store. No-one was injured. The motive for the attack remains unclear.

On 13 and 29 November 2008, bombs were thrown at protestors demonstrating as part of a long-running commercial dispute on the Rama IV Road close to the Queen Sirikit Convention Centre. The explosion resulted in 30 people injured, five seriously. On 18 March 2 security guards were shot dead at the same location by unidentified gunmen. The police suspect the violence is related to a business conflict.

Elsewhere in the region, Westerners were killed and injured following terrorist attacks in Indonesia; in Bali (October 2002 and October 2005) and Jakarta (August 2003 and September 2004). The extremist group Jamaah Islamiyah is thought to be responsible for these bombings. The Thai authorities have arrested a number of terrorist suspects, most notably a senior leader of Jemaah Islamiyah.

continued http://ow.ly/kgY8

That all reads very scary and to think i actually chose to live here :)

Does is? It all seems very 'everyday stuff' - maybe I've been in LOS too long, but if you went back 10, 20 or 30 years would it be any different here? Wouldn't it have been equal or worse for most of that time in Cambodia / Laos / Indonesia / Philippines / Vietnam / Malaysia even & China... S.E.Asia isn't Basingstoke or Bracknell.

I agree with jasreeve17,the UK government site,lists historic problems ,it is also as factual about about ,Indonesia ,Brazil & Argentina,and Egypt in particualr gets heavy blows :http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/egypt

Similar warnings are on Australia, Canada and USA foreign affairs/state department websites. Been like this for over a year.

Most tourists do not read the warnings, let alone heed the advice. The publishing of these warnings serves to protect the respective governments from recriminations when their respective citizens get into trouble.

I recall reading the foreign office website warnings re Thailand 10 years ago and it was just as scary.

The main two dangers here (which aren't listed) are road accidents and romantic attachments with people of dubious occupation.

Does is? It all seems very 'everyday stuff' - maybe I've been in LOS too long, but if you went back 10, 20 or 30 years would it be any different here? Wouldn't it have been equal or worse for most of that time in Cambodia / Laos / Indonesia / Philippines / Vietnam / Malaysia even & China... S.E.Asia isn't Basingstoke or Bracknell.

In the early 90s armed bandits were still hijacking buses up in the north of Thailand. I was never involved but a friend was and he said they were very polite but it was scary as they had weapons.

Still, back then foreigners were actually avoided as targets of crime as the police used to chase anyone who targeted a foreigner much more actively and severely as they didn't want Thailand's image damaged abroad.

How times have changed

The irony didn't come out in my post then?

Bombs here what about back in the days of the IRA shootings. bombings on mainland Uk and now other terrorists and all the other violence that happens everyday in the UK...

I know which i prefer no matter what the government says.

I wonder if the Thai government issues warnings about the UK??

here's one

atm cloning all over UK

That all reads very scary and to think i actually chose to live here :D

Bombs here what about back in the days of the IRA shootings. bombings on mainland Uk and now other terrorists and all the other violence that happens everyday in the UK...

here's one

atm cloning all over UK

Are you really comparing the uk to thailand ? bizzare, :)

here's one

atm cloning all over UK

Sorry Sanook2me I'm feeling a bit tired today and missed the nuance; I spent all my money for the week (on Guiness) and the missus refuses to feed me... :D

Philippines is a bit worrying. I've always fancied 10 days there to have a look, but maybe I'll stay home (can't believe I said that) in Bangkok instead.

Basingstoke can get pretty scary sometimes!

That all reads very scary and to think i actually chose to live here :D

Basingstoke can get pretty scary sometimes!

:)

I went there by mistake once, and was scared that I wouldn't be able to find my way out...

I just want to know - how come such a "peaceful religion" causes so much hate and violence all over the world?

Another question - who exactly is behind these terrorists in southern Thailand? Is it the Malaysian government? Some Middle Eastern government? The UK or US? Anyone have any idea?

here's one

atm cloning all over UK

Another - Risk getting the sh*t kicked out of you by mindless, drunken yobs on a weekend. They often do that for 'fun'. :D

Another - Risk getting the sh*t kicked out of you by mindless, drunken yobs on a weekend. They often do that for 'fun'. :)

I've heard this about the UK, more than a few times. It's enough to put me off ever visiting the place. Where are the police? Where is the law? Unbelieveable.