Renovation Tips

G'day,

I am thinking of buying an older townhouse and "modernizing" the interior. Some of the things I am looking at doing and would like to listen to some advice:

1) Rebuilding the stairs - the steps are too narrow. Is this even possible?

2) Shower heads. Is it possible to install the head leaving all the pipes hidden? Would be possible in a new place, just not sure about a remodeled one.

3) Grounding and three pronged sockets. They are all two pronged now. I have heard stories about contractors just installing the sockets but do nothing for the grounds.

4) Hot water system. Ideally, we want to run it around the house, but the home pro guy was saying for an old place, all the pipes will be exposed which would be ugly. We would have to get a couple of smaller heaters, one each for the baths, and one for the kitchen.

5) How do you go about hiring the contractors? Do you go out to a design company?

Thanks

Matt

Depends on how modern you want the final results to be. Recent interior concept - expose and paint in bright colours all services pipes and conduits. Then removal of tiles and chasing of walls are not required.

I prefer more conservative interiors... :)

Recent interior concept - expose and paint in bright colours all services pipes and conduits.

Hmm ... I did notice that at Sizzler recently. I must say they did a good job at it, but everything is high up, so less of any eye-sore. I am also more conservative than that :)

G'day,

I am thinking of buying an older townhouse and "modernizing" the interior. Some of the things I am looking at doing and would like to listen to some advice:

1) Rebuilding the stairs - the steps are too narrow. Is this even possible?

2) Shower heads. Is it possible to install the head leaving all the pipes hidden? Would be possible in a new place, just not sure about a remodeled one.

3) Grounding and three pronged sockets. They are all two pronged now. I have heard stories about contractors just installing the sockets but do nothing for the grounds.

4) Hot water system. Ideally, we want to run it around the house, but the home pro guy was saying for an old place, all the pipes will be exposed which would be ugly. We would have to get a couple of smaller heaters, one each for the baths, and one for the kitchen.

5) How do you go about hiring the contractors? Do you go out to a design company?

Thanks

Matt

I was actually trying to answer each one of your questions but found it a bit difficult as I have no idea how everything looks like, or even have seen a floorplan and how things will effect the structure and support of the townhouse.

I guess any local contractor can help you out. Just make it very clear what you want (take some pictures of things you like or google them up) and than get some quotations from a couple of different contractors and choose the one you like the most.

The only one I can actually answer is your question about the hot water: I think you'll end up buying a cuope of water heaters (one for each spot where you need the hot water). Most hotels and big properties in Thailand use the boiler system, the water heaters are sufficient but are not too nice to look at.

The only one I can actually answer is your question about the hot water: I think you'll end up buying a cuope of water heaters (one for each spot where you need the hot water). Most hotels and big properties in Thailand use the boiler system, the water heaters are sufficient but are not too nice to look at.

And because they do not look nice, mistakes have been made to place them above the suspended ceiling, when they should be exposed and with built-in earth leakage protection.

And because they do not look nice, mistakes have been made to place them above the suspended ceiling, when they should be exposed and with built-in earth leakage protection.

I have seen a house where they've mad a box around it to "hide" it, seemed a lot of trouble and still not too nice. This same owner covered up the outdoor outlets of the airconditioning units with a wooden box, now that's a nice idea if you don't like the look of it.

We have been running around and getting different contractors to tell us if they can do certain things and their estimates.

What surprises me was that all of them know nothing about grounding! I am not an electrician, but I am sure the third prong needs to be plugged in and "go somewhere". They all keep saying that the 2 prong socket is already grounded at the trip box or something. This is coming even from the guy from SmartHome, an ultra modern design office, and their office has the 3 prong plugs. I wonder if it's just a shell with the ground that leads to nowhere.

Also, our steps on the stairs are 24 cm. We wanted broader ones but most say it's already broad, the standard is 20! I consider 24 to be small even for my size 7 feet.

• 1 month later...
Hi, did you find anyone to renovate your place?

Good job ?

Thanks.

It's been only a month since we began; there is another month or so to go. So far, it is looking good. The contractor does know what we want, and the supervisor is there the whole time. The team is "big" too, unlike some others we have seen around here. Also, they don't seem to disappear to other sites like the other teams too.

The electrical guys came in about a week ago and looking at the wiring, I must say I am quite impressed. No sloppy tape up jobs etc so far.

We got several quotes and we can't find any quotes that will come to what people have been saying in this forum, i.e. 150 THB a day for labor. Even the old timer "changs" charges quite a bit. Looking at the way things turn out so far, I think we paid more for a great team and that is important too I guess.

Matt