Foreign Business Rep.

My wife would sometime like to move back to Bangkok. I have previously lived there so the move would not bother me. Just recently I was offered an opportunity to be a rep. for an American skin care company for Thailand and much of Asia. Basically, I would be soliciting orders from Dept. Stores and various retailers.

The question I have would I need a work permit for Bangkok? Also, in order to receive a work permit would the company have to be registered in Thailand and then in return that company hire me?

What about soliciting orders from the internet? I could be based in Bangkok and then contact various stores and then send them samples? Would a work permit be needed for this? The reason I ask is I remember when I previously lived in Bangkok I met a resident farang who did all of his work through the internet and he did not have a work permit.

Also, since this is an American co. do I need to be looking at the Treaty of Amity?

Any time saving advice or a point in the right direction would be appreciated?

Thank You

My wife would sometime like to move back to Bangkok.  I have previously lived there so the move would not bother me.  Just recently I was offered an opportunity to be a rep. for an American skin care company for Thailand and much of Asia.  Basically, I would be soliciting orders from Dept. Stores and various retailers. 

The question I have would I need a work permit for Bangkok?  Also, in order to receive a work permit would the company have to be registered in Thailand and then in return that company hire me?

What about soliciting orders from the internet?  I could be based in Bangkok and then contact various stores and then send them samples?  Would a work permit be needed for this?  The reason I ask is I remember when I previously lived in Bangkok I met a resident farang who did all of his work through the internet and he did not have a work permit.

Also, since this is an American co. do I need to be looking at the Treaty of Amity?

Any time saving advice or a point in the right direction would be appreciated?

Thank You

Thousand of businessmen/women, both Western and Japanese, Chinese etc. are working all over Bangkok and Asia, buying and selling and nobody has a workpermit...I did it myself in the past and didn't even think about a workpermit.

But if you're living in BKK it might be a little different. If you have no office and work 'from home' so to speak, I don't think it will be a big issue, but maybe other members will feel different.

Abbout a Treaty of Amity I have no advice since I'm not familiar with this.

Good Luck

LaoPo

You cannot import skin care products into Thailand without a clearance certificate from Thai FDA. To get that certificate, you need to have company.

You can work on Internet from here as long as you are not selling to Thai customers/retaillers. If you are, then they want receipts for payment - to recover 7% VAT. You cannot give tax receipt without a company that has tax registration.

If you think you can sell directly to large stores, you need to learn a lot more. You need to contract with a FMCG distributor to distribute products nationally. There are three main national FMCG distribution companies in Thailand. They do not accept very many products - there is only so much shelf space at 7-Eleven, Boots, or Watsons - or Carrefour, Tesco, Big C.

It sounds to me like you have no idea about distribution channels in Thailand.

For a fee, my company can perform a feasibility study for you. We can also process Thai FDA clearance.

But - frankly -unless you have substantial prior experience in FMCG and sale of skin care products, it is INSANE to come to a country where you do mot speak the local language, do not intimately know the retail sector, and are trying to introduce a new, imported product. You are better off buying lottery tickets.

Thailand is not a place for amateurs to come and try to learn the ropes of a new business - within a brutally competitive market sector such as skin care products.

But - in the process of failing in that initial effort, you might learn things that help you uncover a totally different opportunity, in which you can succeed - if you have deep enough pockets to be able to sustain yourself, if the initial effort goes belly up.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.bangkokstaff.com

www.thaitradedata.com

www.thaistartup.com

You cannot import skin care products into Thailand without a clearance certificate from Thai FDA. To get that certificate, you need to have company.

You can work on Internet from here as long as you are not selling to Thai customers/retaillers. If you are, then they want receipts for payment - to recover 7% VAT. You cannot give tax receipt without a company that has tax registration.

If you think you can sell directly to large stores, you need to learn a lot more. You need to contract with a FMCG distributor to distribute products nationally. There are three main national FMCG distribution companies in Thailand. They do not accept very many products - there is only so much shelf space at 7-Eleven, Boots, or Watsons - or Carrefour, Tesco, Big C.

It sounds to me like you have no idea about distribution channels in Thailand.

For a fee, my company can perform a feasibility study for you. We can also process Thai FDA clearance.

But - frankly -unless you have substantial prior experience in FMCG and sale of skin care products, it is INSANE to come to a country where you do mot speak the local language, do not intimately know the retail sector, and are trying to introduce a new, imported product. You are better off buying lottery tickets.

Thailand is not a place for amateurs to come and try to learn the ropes of a new business - within a brutally competitive market sector such as skin care products.

But - in the process of failing in that initial effort, you might learn things that help you uncover a totally different opportunity, in which you can succeed - if you have deep enough pockets to be able to sustain yourself, if the initial effort goes belly up.

Thanks for the reply. I previously lived in Thailand for 3 years so I know something about the retail sector and basically know how a lot of things operate in Thailand. The answers about getting Thai FDA approval and FMCG distribution channels was the kind of information I was looking for.

I have some more questions but I will send you an email.

Thank You