2nd Hand Mobile Phone

you can find second hand mobile phones in just about any mall but be careful as some have been stolen and you tell this by the fact that the phone can only be used by one carrier. It's also not good to go with used as there is no warrenty whatsoever ( not that you are going to get anything worthwhile in Thailand anyway but) you can get cheap phones here.

I have no problems with buying used fones instead of new ones. The savings can be huge, and if you end up building a rapport with one particular seller, they will look after you well.

There is a huge market for used fones here. They get traded in like a car does in the west. I myself change my fone every few months, when i get bored of it and have never had any problems with any of the ones i have bought, albeit i buy them from the same guy at MBK who always looks after me well.

Dont be afraid of them, just use your head.

Kringle, the fact some phones are locked into one carrier has nothign to do with being stolen and everything to do with the carriers giving the phones away for free with a subscription.

Most of the phone shops here can unlock such locked phones in 5 minutes for a couple hundrede baht anyway.

As EVO said, there's a huge market, enjoy it.

I don't understand anyone's, let alone someone that can't afford it, need to constantly update a phone. OK if you decide that you now need WAP or whatever the latest technology is. But seeing as most people use it for ahhh let me see.... oh yeah, talking to someone else with another phone, I just dont see the point.

I still use my old Nokia 3310 that I've had for years. Funnily enough I can still talk to anybody else with a telephone. :o

I always bought 2nd hand phones as well, until recently. This is a topic that is still new and dear to my heart :o

Over the last 2 weeks, I bought 3 used phones that all had to be returned. Two of these phones were bought at MBK, not including the phone I bought there a year ago that I was trying to replace. They all had the same problem: took hours to recharge, and then would lose power after a couple of hours. And yes, I changed the batteries. To make matters worse, they sold me a "new" battery that was actually used. The sales lady walked over while tearing it out of the package and installing it in the phone for me in a charade of helpfulness that was really a guise to camoflauge the packaging. I swore by Nokia, but who knows what the ###### you end up with when you buy a 2nd hand phone here. They are always tinkering with phones and parts, so that at the end of the day you may be buying the body work of a Nokia and not much else.

After much frustration and missed phone calls, I finally bought a new Motorola for under 2000 baht. It works great and is just as user friendly as a Nokia. It's the Motorola C115, and I bought it at Victory Monument for 1990 baht. Best move I ever made. Goodbye to Junkyard, 2nd hand Nokias and the little thieves who sell them at MBK.