Looking For A Military Guide To Kwai And Hellfire Pass

JB1350

2 guys, both military buffs, looking for a tour company/guide who "know their stuff" for a day trip from Bangkok to the above.. Not interested in temples, markets or tailors so although it would be a long day we just want to go to the bridge, the JEATH museum, the cemetery and the pass.

An alternative would be to just get a driver and do it ourselves.

First time on this forum and many thanks to Fourb2 on Tripadvisor for recommending this site.

It is quite easy to do this on your own I did last year , Two days is probably better than 1, there are plenty of travel agents in Kanchanuburri if you need one.

When you get to hel_l Fire Pass you can hire a cd player with headphones it is a guide while your walking down the pass explaining different points.

Buses go past the pass regularly .

Anyway don't be to worried about getting about on your own its quite easy.

I found it very easy to do independently...if you rented a car. But I imagine any good hotel there could easily arrange transportation for you.

I am trying to recall, but it seemed to me that it was a loop to the pass, so even if a small landslide covered one area, wouldn't the other path be open. HOWEVER, it's been a while, so my recollection could be wrong.

Ex Aussie Army Warrant Oficer Bill Slape is the current custodian of Hellfire Pass museum and loves to have a yak so if you PM me I will give you his number. Failing that, posts above are correct, Kanchanaburi is easy to get to and there are plenty of tours taking people to Hellfire. There are two ways into the pass, one path slightly to the right of the museum takes you to the start of the pass. The other, less used path, further to the right of the museum takes you to the end of the pass and the start of the path to Hintock. I doubt that the slide was in the pass itself which probably means that the way to Hintock is blocked. Either way the trip is worth the trouble, the place never fails to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Ex Aussie Army Warrant Oficer Bill Slape is the current custodian of Hellfire Pass museum and loves to have a yak so if you PM me I will give you his number. Failing that, posts above are correct, Kanchanaburi is easy to get to and there are plenty of tours taking people to Hellfire. There are two ways into the pass, one path slightly to the right of the museum takes you to the start of the pass. The other, less used path, further to the right of the museum takes you to the end of the pass and the start of the path to Hintock. I doubt that the slide was in the pass itself which probably means that the way to Hintock is blocked. Either way the trip is worth the trouble, the place never fails to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Two days would be better as you would have to rush around to fit it all in.

In Kan there are two cemeteries, the large one on the main road in town and the smaller one on the river, its called Chung Kai. Its the site of the main hospital camp and contains mainly British and about 300 Dutch forces graves. The museum and Bridge are worth a visit and by the bridge is a cafe with lots of black & white photo's of the period.

Hellfire pass has a good museum and mini cinema inside where you can view films of the railway construction etc.

If you are going to walk down to the pass and a few Kilometre's of the old railway, I would recommend good walking shoe's, plenty of water and wide brim hat/umbrella. If you run into Bill, he will advise you!.

About 70 km's out of Kan on the road to Hellfire pass there is the River Kwai Village Hotel, down by the river in the hotel grounds used to be a small museum, its the site of one of the river camps. That was back in 2006 when I went there so it should be still there. The visitors book contained messages from ex-British POW's who worked the railway there- good stuff.

post-44176-1250759476_thumb.jpg

post-44176-1250759286_thumb.jpg

post-44176-1250759444_thumb.jpg