Recent Jet Ski Accident

Heard from a friend that a few days ago on Chaweng beach there was an accident involving those *amn jet skis. He said the rescue/ambulance people were performing CPR on a foreigner who had come off his jet ski and was hit by another following just behind. At the time of the accident I heard 3 ambulance sirens. Why not provide helmets to their customers ?

Heard from a friend that a few days ago on Chaweng beach there was an accident involving those *amn jet skis. He said the rescue/ambulance people were performing CPR on a foreigner who had come off his jet ski and was hit by another following just behind. At the time of the accident I heard 3 ambulance sirens. Why not provide helmets to their customers ?

Don't hire jet skis here. It will almost always lead to an expensive problem.

The real problem with use of any recreation craft on water is one and only,- no basic knowledge of rules and lax enforcement of such rules.

I live here virtually on the beach. Hundreds of boats, fishermen, speedboats, rowing, etc break all the rules. The usual arguments of TIT are not applicable, because the Maritime Laws are universal for all countries and Thailand is no exception.

I have a boat operators licence for powered and/or sailing craft. Being a responsible person I tried to have it officially registered here. I was told it's soooo complicated ( by the relative authority), that I gave up.

What the poor sods didn't realise, is that holding this licence and being a member of ORC Australia, I do not need their boody permission.

On the other hand, their speedboaties with banana in tow are a real menace. No licences, no knowledge of basic rules. All this means one thing - people die and will keep on dying on water in Thailand. And the fact will be always described as 'unfortunate accident'... What a pile of crap!... TIT :)

The real problem with use of any recreation craft on water is one and only,- no basic knowledge of rules and lax enforcement of such rules.

I live here virtually on the beach. Hundreds of boats, fishermen, speedboats, rowing, etc break all the rules. The usual arguments of TIT are not applicable, because the Maritime Laws are universal for all countries and Thailand is no exception.

I have a boat operators licence for powered and/or sailing craft. Being a responsible person I tried to have it officially registered here. I was told it's soooo complicated ( by the relative authority), that I gave up.

What the poor sods didn't realise, is that holding this licence and being a member of ORC Australia, I do not need their boody permission.

On the other hand, their speedboaties with banana in tow are a real menace. No licences, no knowledge of basic rules. All this means one thing - people die and will keep on dying on water in Thailand. And the fact will be always described as 'unfortunate accident'... What a pile of crap!... TIT :)

Do you really think these tourists think of helmets, universal maritime laws, licences and rules the very moment they mount a huge inflatable banana?

Well this seems to be the usual mindset of jet ski riders, set of in a group of two or more go as fast as you can in a straight line then start doing turns with the others in your group all heading in different directions this is when accidents happen.

This could be solved so easily, they could set up a course with bouys that riders must follow in one direction only.

Obviously it will never happen.

No one should hire Jet ski's, the opperators are some of the nastiest people on this island, constantly scamming tourists for damage to jet skis that never happens.

All with the help of the tourist police.

Jet ski operators/tourist police = scum!

Just at a rough guess, I'd say that the percentage of jetskiiers who have a problem is statistically insignificant. Granted, I don't watch the water all day, but in three-and-a-half years I have seen only one mishap, which was detailed somewhere here, in which an operator gave poor instruction to a renter as he came close to another craft, piloted by an operator, and the two hit.

I'm sure bad things happen, but let's not make it out that jetskis are crashing routinely. I don't go to Chaweng much so I don't know if every other Thai operator is a crook, but I sense this can't be the case.

Just at a rough guess, I'd say that the percentage of jetskiiers who have a problem is statistically insignificant. Granted, I don't watch the water all day, but in three-and-a-half years I have seen only one mishap, which was detailed somewhere here, in which an operator gave poor instruction to a renter as he came close to another craft, piloted by an operator, and the two hit.

I'm sure bad things happen, but let's not make it out that jetskis are crashing routinely. I don't go to Chaweng much so I don't know if every other Thai operator is a crook, but I sense this can't be the case.

Jet ski operators = scum! be clever forgett it on yr samui holiday, it will cost u.

yes the jet skis in lamui i h ave had less problems with. though the ones in chaweng have started a fight with me and my family before saying they want 100 baht out of us because we were all 5 minutes late. but my dad timed it on his watch and we we actually esrly. the thing is that the msan started timing from when we paid the money. rather than when we got on the jet bikes. which meant that he was chrging us to put life jackets on and stuff like that. that incondent was about 5 year ago. i just haven't been back.

there again. if u sign that peice of paper and u drive close to another ski likee i see forangs doing when i am out fishing then you are playing with fire. They might over charge you for a scratch but u have to exept that before you go out. or just don't go out and buy your own ski.

• 2 weeks later...
This could be solved so easily, they could set up a course with bouys that riders must follow in one direction only.

Obviously it will never happen.

No one should hire Jet ski's, the opperators are some of the nastiest people on this island, constantly scamming tourists for damage to jet skis that never happens.

All with the help of the tourist police.

Jet ski operators/tourist police = scum!

I hope the police are taking note of what is happening on Phuket at the moment with some of these crooks .

Edited by churchill

Jet ski operators = scum! be clever forgett it on yr samui holiday, it will cost u.

I agree and mafia and dangerous...particularly the "captain" (that is on all the posters advertising jet skies (hard to figure out what the thinking is there other than "face"time...no one renting jet skies does so from an ad...particularly with that confidence inspiration's face on the ad!)...Mark, no offense, you seem pretty smart, but here you are simply ignorant ... "police records" :) ...lost some credibility on this one Mark

To Mark's defence - Perhaps the Jet ski"s in Lamai are not run in the same criminal way as in Chaweng ? Mark ?

Unlikely, seems everywhere in Thailand Jet ski's are run by mafia, reason being I suppose is being the beach you are not supposed to make business there, so naturally it will involve paying off the authorities, be it BIB, Tessaban, etc etc.

However I do know a farang operates jet skis in Lamai, an Ausi fellow whom i've met and he seems a nice chap, not a mafia type, you never know tho..................

I know a Thai girl who bought some jet ski's and tried to rent out on Chaweng beach, she didn't last more than 1 month before she was threatened and had to shut up shop. She was from Bangkok, defo not the mafia type.......

Just wondering what would happen if a resort wanted to rent out their own jet ski's........ Do you think they would get hassle?

Edited by womble

To Mark's defence - Perhaps the Jet ski"s in Lamai are not run in the same criminal way as in Chaweng ? Mark ?

Unlikely, seems everywhere in Thailand Jet ski's are run by mafia, reason being I suppose is being the beach you are not supposed to make business there, so naturally it will involve paying off the authorities, be it BIB, Tessaban, etc etc.

However I do know a farang operates jet skis in Lamai, an Ausi fellow whom i've met and he seems a nice chap, not a mafia type, you never know tho..................

I know a Thai girl who bought some jet ski's and tried to rent out on Chaweng beach, she didn't last more than 1 month before she was threatened and had to shut up shop. She was from Bangkok, defo not the mafia type.......

Just wondering what would happen if a resort wanted to rent out their own jet ski's........ Do you think they would get hassle?

there was also an aussie guy a few years back that did the same on Chaweng Beach and tried to build a hotel there too (pretty well known guy too in Oz) but he was "disappeared"...don't think anyone has yet figured out who disappeared him, but said "Captain" is among the those mentioned (the aussie guy did "lose" all his jetskies and a couple of powerboats to the captain not too long after he started operating them..then the "hotel" site to other nafarious characters (Thais and Turks)... :)

there was also an aussie guy a few years back that did the same on Chaweng Beach and tried to build a hotel there too (pretty well known guy too in Oz) but he was "disappeared"...don't think anyone has yet figured out who disappeared him, but said "Captain" is among the those mentioned (the aussie guy did "lose" all his jetskies and a couple of powerboats to the captain not too long after he started operating them..then the "hotel" site to other nafarious characters (Thais and Turks)... :)

That hotel you mentioned, was it located south chaweng passed McDonalds on the left hand side beach front? I've often wondered what happened to this resort. I met a lady once from Australia that said she was the owner!! Not seen her in years

That hotel you mentioned, was it located south chaweng passed McDonalds on the left hand side beach front? I've often wondered what happened to this resort. I met a lady once from Australia that said she was the owner!! Not seen her in years

not sure where mcdonalds is...it used to be called "Ali's" (kinda a crappy "hotel" on the beach there (about across from Sound Bar) or so I think. Its now a construction site but the construction stopped a few years or ago (only maybe 25% done)....they tore down the old "Ali's" and started building with the Aussie's money...don't think he had a wife...but who knows, PLENTY of VERY bad characters involved there.

Womble, you contradict yourself in your own post:

Okay, so the jet skiis are run by mafia...then you say:

However I do know a farang operates jet skis in Lamai, an Ausi fellow whom i've met and he seems a nice chap, not a mafia type, you never know tho.........

So the foreigner is not mafia, although all jet skii operators are mafia...

My comment on police reports was tongue in cheek; come on, you must have seen that....