Big C's & The Empty Shops Now

I'm sure lots of you have noticed it but i'll say it anyway what a change from a year ago in Big C huh

last year you had camera shops, apple, zen japanese food, thai restaurant, coffee world, etc could go on but now looking at it. I wonder if or even when any descent shop might come along. Don't get me wrong I like Big C and some shops for various reasons including

covered parking when it rains

Siam Commercial Bank & Bangkok Bangkok inside ( in samui usually its parking by the road and then trying not to get hit by vehicles at least here thats not the case

KFC

MK Suki

Shop for groceries to.

Like my starbucks to

1 main thing I like about Big C is that its always less crowded than tesco. But on the other hand all the empty shops look like a giant eye sore. If anything I've seen here on the island empty buildings or shops can last years and rental prices are unrealistic more than anything. Anyone feel like commenting on this subject go ahead. The only thing I miss that I would like to see but I'm a computer geek though is a powerbuy or IT Mall. Anything I need related from hard drives to ram or computer equipment I always have to buy from bangkok.

Having only lived on Samui for about a year now, I find Big C my least favorite place to shop for food items .... Too many veggies prepackaged, bread not as good as Tesco, They do carry the large 500 g boxes of Cornflakes though!

Tesco has better signage in English for most items... (perhaps in Thai language too, since the Thai's use a lot too). Perhaps that is why they are busier? Prices seem about the same, whether Mackro, Big C or Tesco. The Tesco mall seems to be getting over loaded with Cell Phone stores! I think I counted eight the other day...OMG! :D

I was disappointed the Mac Store closed before I moved here.... Being a PC user also, the small computer shop opposite the Maenam Post office is pretty good... PURNCOM PURNKON Ltd, I know both Thai's & "Farangs" who deal with them, their service is good, and reasonably priced.... & he'll bring stuff in from BKK pretty fast! (it was his Tech guy who got my Mac set up to the CAT internet... )

I do have to give Kudo's to the Big C Staff, during a down pour last November I think, they were out moving bikes from the flooded road & diverting motorbike traffic up pallet ramps they made! It was because of that I do shop there more than I would! .... it was the first time I had parked on the street.... but bike had been moved to "higher ground"... :D

Another store I find out-standing for customer service is Sirisin, I used them for electronics & Camera stuff several times now... Always helpful.... :D The "Big Camera" store next to Starbucks has to bring items in from BKK, not good when you need to touchy feel..... Sirisin has a reasonable selection in stock & matched Big Camera's pricelist.

(although their computer tech guy, not so good with English). :)

1 main thing I like about Big C is that its always less crowded than tesco.

Thumbs up from me - it's great! In and out in 20 mins when shopping alone (with g/f in tow it takes an age, I once asked her to make a list to attempt to speed up the process and she added 'some clothes' as an item on the list.)

Boots, Bangkok Bank, Big C it's all I need for essentials.

I like the fact I can park right outside the doors - makes loading up shopping far easier.

There is a very small stall in there that I've grabbed some RAM from (double BKK price) and an urgently needed replacement laptop PSU (at a very reasonable price) though you're better off ordering from one of the Thai online electronics stores or stocking up when in Bangkok. For urgent needs though they have some useful bits.

Those shops outside are terribly located for retail though.. Starbucks has the best plot as it's noticeable from the ring road, but it's still dead in there - the shops further in barely get anyone walking past as parking is closer to the Big C doors than the outdoor shops. Bad planning.

Edited by danw

...i went to BigC last night, but the security man who works by the bikeparking wont give us a card....

oops, new opening hours in BigC. Open from 09:00 - 22:00 (before 09:00 - 23:00)

Tesco Lotus Chaweng open from 06:00 - 23:00 (before 09:00 - 23:00)

Tesco Lotus Nathon open from 06:00 - 22:00

Tesco Lotus Lamai open from 09:00 - 23:00 (starting about october)

Makro Chaweng open from 06:00 - 22:00

Chayaphum

...i went to BigC last night, but the security man who works by the bikeparking wont give us a card....

oops, new opening hours in BigC. Open from 09:00 - 22:00 (before 09:00 - 23:00)

Tesco Lotus Chaweng open from 06:00 - 23:00 (before 09:00 - 23:00)

Tesco Lotus Nathon open from 06:00 - 22:00

Tesco Lotus Lamai open from 09:00 - 23:00 (starting about october)

Makro Chaweng open from 06:00 - 22:00

Chayaphum

Sorry Chayaphum, Tesco Chaweng reverted back 09:00-23.00.Don't know about Nathon.

I also think if plans to downsize Tesco Chaweng & turn it into a Mall, it will only increase traffic in Big C.

Big C for me everytime. They have virtually everything that they have in Tesco's and more variety of others. Covered parking is good and their trolleys generally go in a straight line without too many rattles (unlike Tesco's) but the main winner has to be the space. I'm not saying its a joy to shop in Big C as shopping holds no joy for me at all but it is a far easier and less stressfull experience if you have the room to manouver down the isles not having to avoid abandoned trolleys and isles blocked by zombie like shoppers staring at the same packet of whatever for ages. The staff seem friendlier too.

But Makro you have to buy 20 bags of crisps at a time or 10kg of hamburger at a whack. I don't have my walk-in freezer up and running yet...so shopping there isn't for me.

BigC was a mistake from the get-go. Tesco had already established itself as the place to shop (with mini mall) and the prices are so similar as to be the same (although some goods are more expensive at BigC).

I honestly wonder if BigC even breaks even.

If they wanted some business, they should clear out the entire ground floor of shops and what-not (save the ATMs) and put in an ICE SKATING RINK!!!

How cool would that be (pun intended)? Beat the Thailand heat and woo your rent-a-girl at the ice rink. After, play skee ball and video games, sit and clock the babes over pitchers of cold beer (real American-size pitchers) and pizza. You could even have curling competitions...

Investors?

But Makro you have to buy 20 bags of crisps at a time or 10kg of hamburger at a whack. I don't have my walk-in freezer up and running yet...so shopping there isn't for me.

Well Mark, you can buy single packets of crisp or packs of 8 burgers.Not everything is bulk, but admittedly it tends to favor wholesale atmosphere type shopping.Big C has that better presentation, with the right soft lighting, even my wife looks better next to all the vegetables. :)

Well Mark, you can buy single packets of crisp or packs of 8 burgers.Not everything is bulk, but admittedly it tends to favor wholesale atmosphere type shopping.Big C has that better presentation, with the right soft lighting, even my wife looks better next to all the vegetables. :)

As a matter of interest Rooo what are the burgers like?

Well Mark, you can buy single packets of crisp or packs of 8 burgers.Not everything is bulk, but admittedly it tends to favor wholesale atmosphere type shopping.Big C has that better presentation, with the right soft lighting, even my wife looks better next to all the vegetables. :D

Ok, not wonderful, big Joe's are better.When I have time , make my own, now we are talking. :)

Well Mark, you can buy single packets of crisp or packs of 8 burgers.Not everything is bulk, but admittedly it tends to favor wholesale atmosphere type shopping.Big C has that better presentation, with the right soft lighting, even my wife looks better next to all the vegetables. :D

Ok, not wonderful, big Joe's are better.When I have time , make my own, now we are talking. :)

Big Joe is indeed a good benchmark but better stop this now otherwise this will move swiftly onto a "best Samui burger" debate!!

One big mistake for Big C from the start was to have all virtually all the same shops downstairs as in Tesco already. KFC, MK etc etc. Had they gone for completely different shops eg sizzler, Hachiban (mmm), it would have helped them a lot.

Personally I always shop Big C, Tesco far too crowded and too much walking for me.

I really can't see why Big C is such a flop with the Thais. Is it more expensive?

...yes, and Tesco is more crowded and loud and fun, movies, restaurants, book shop, ice cream...Lotus is more than shopping for them and others. An exciting afternoon, a highlight of the day/week, an entertaining experience.

...but not for me.

Big C simple did not get it. They tried to copy Tesco on a small scale, but they have to make it at least at the same level to be successful business wise.

BTW - the department store at Bophut seems to be a classic bust...?

and the Carefore, someone mentioned months ago, between Nathon and Lamai...what was that? The Isuzu service station?

Edited by Birdman

One of the best reasons for visiting BigC is the tasty food at S&P restaurant.

Hmmm... maybe this sign has something to do with shoppers staying away from BigC:

(Oops - cannot upload pic due to the Royal Thai Police deeming it inappropriate, "or contain any information which is deemed to violate national security.") :)

I'm sure lots of you have noticed it but i'll say it anyway what a change from a year ago in Big C huh

last year you had camera shops, apple, zen japanese food, thai restaurant, coffee world, etc could go on but now looking at it. I wonder if or even when any descent shop might come along. Don't get me wrong I like Big C and some shops for various reasons including

covered parking when it rains

Siam Commercial Bank & Bangkok Bangkok inside ( in samui usually its parking by the road and then trying not to get hit by vehicles at least here thats not the case

KFC

MK Suki

Shop for groceries to.

Like my starbucks to

1 main thing I like about Big C is that its always less crowded than tesco. But on the other hand all the empty shops look like a giant eye sore. If anything I've seen here on the island empty buildings or shops can last years and rental prices are unrealistic more than anything. Anyone feel like commenting on this subject go ahead. The only thing I miss that I would like to see but I'm a computer geek though is a powerbuy or IT Mall. Anything I need related from hard drives to ram or computer equipment I always have to buy from bangkok.

i agree i go to bigc because have no customer which means no ques. which mean lesss stress but i have to wait for llong time to order my sandwiches in s n p

which mean lesss stress but i have to wait for llong time to order my sandwiches in s n p

BigC, are you the guy that keeps ordering those crazy customized jelly bean sandwiches? Your order keeps backing up my sandwich order... :)

Personally I always shop Big C, Tesco far too crowded and too much walking for me.

Too much walking? :)

I park up near Fuji, which means a long walk, don't like parking at front as been hassled by taxi drivers before and also there's often no spaces there or you get blocked in by dodgy looking locals (probobally off duty taxi drivers).

One big mistake for Big C from the start was to have all virtually all the same shops downstairs as in Tesco already. KFC, MK etc etc. Had they gone for completely different shops eg sizzler, Hachiban (mmm), it would have helped them a lot.

I really can't see why Big C is such a flop with the Thais. Is it more expensive?

no i just reckon that there is more to do in tescos such as karaoki, bowling and cinema. and home pro with personally i think should be called home ameter by the standard of service.