Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations

Donnyboy

I love the fact that a food show has a rating for adult language :D

Definitely not your average food show :)

He is great!

I did some trainee ship at "Les Halles" (many!) years before he became famous;

definitely not in the same game than the pathetic "hel_l's Kitchen" dummy :D

Thanks for the post! I'm a big fan of Anthony Bourdain. His show is hilarious. I love the episode that he went to China and somewhere in South America where he took some peyote to trip on purpose. Awesome!

Thanks for the post! I'm a big fan of Anthony Bourdain. His show is hilarious. I love the episode that he went to China and somewhere in South America where he took some peyote to trip on purpose. Awesome!

I think the same South America episode he was on a boat going up river and commented on it being his Kurtz moment as Col Kurtz in the movie Apocalypse Now

I think the same South America episode he was on a boat going up river and commented on it being his Kurtz moment as Col Kurtz in the movie Apocalypse Now

The original Mr. Kurtz, to which I think Bourdain was referring, was the fictional character in Joseph Conrad's classic novel Heart of Darkness on which the movie Apocalypse Now was based.

Edited by Groongthep

The original Mr. Kurtz, to which I think Bourdain was referring, was the fictional character in Joseph Conrad's classic novel Heart of Darkness on which the movie Apocalypse Now was based.

Tony Bourdain is a HUGE fan of Apocalypse Now!. He has referenced it in many episodes. The scene you are reffereing to was his boat trip into the Malaysian jungle after getting an Ebon tattoo to meet up with the last of the Malay headhunters.

Also on his trip to The Philippines inspired by one of his fans, during the interview of the fan from Cebu he derides him for never having seen Apocalypse Now!, mainly because it was filmed in The Philippines.

Just glad he avoided the clusterfcuk of tourist traps in Bangkok and Pattaya and that it didn't turn into a repeat of the Lebanon episode since the Red Shirts were being jackasses.

I think this is one of the 3 episodes where he went with a viewer to visit. He originally intended to just do one, but this guy appears to be one of the 3 finalists. The Philippines was the 3rd. The winner was a woman in Saudi Arabia. That was an interesting episode as well since I've never seen a food show in Saudi Arabia. The shows that have gone there are the touristy, flashy shows.

His shows to Europe are kinda boring. I usually only get half way through on those before changing the channel.