The Night Bazaar

getgoin

Walked through the Night Bazaar to do some shopping for a trip and was amazed how empty the place was with merchants and vendors.

The Kalare Night Bazaar is half empty with signs all around advertising space for rent. The Pavilion is more than half empty. The Peak is closed. The Plaza, well what where they thinking? Didn't go into the old night bazaar but I'm willing to bet that the basement and the first floor are almost full of vendors and the other 2 floors empty. The Meridian, well, I'm still waiting for Saks and Harrods.

The word from the vendors everywhere is that rents are too expensive and everyone is moving out, probably working the endless walking street and parking lot flea markets.

The street stalls still seem to be there selling the T-shirts and switch blades, dvds, fake sunglasses.

The surprise was the Anusarn Market. Full of vendors selling trinkets and crafts similar to the Sunday Market, probably the same people. The place was full.

The seafood restaurants seemed to be doing good business and it brought me back to the time when everyone would head to the Anusarn to eat seafood. The negative, they have gotten expensive and have not upgraded or cleaned since who knows. Lennas was still its full of promise and hope and then not delivering, although we did not get the customary overcharge.

There is a new, not improved, string of suedo international restaurants around O'Mailey's that all sell the same items and have hawkers out front calling out, "Burgers, pizza, spaghetti." They remind me of hawkers that can be found in Bangkok kicking open a door or holding open a curtain.

O'Mailey's has upped their game with a bevy of young ladies enticing clients to the door.

In any event, the question remains, are we witnessing the begining of the end for the night bazaar? Is the night bazaar destined to flop around like some dying fish stinking up the place until someone comes through with a giant earth mover and sweeps the rotten sections down into another dying mess, the Ping River?

If you don't go to the night bazaar, have never been then this is probably not a thread that you should post in. It is also not a post that seeks to compare the walking street flea markets with the night bazaar but some constructive comparisons are alright. Please do not just say, "I don't like the night bazaar but I like the walking street." I know it might be difficult for some but if you can't be coherent, constructive or insightful then the Miguel's thread is still open.

Did the big influx of hotels and the unfinished business of a previous government official spell the ultimate demise of a Chiang Mai institution? Will the high rents push out the vendors that bring in the tourists? What about the street stalls? Has the city set it's sights on the demise of the night bazaar by promoting the walking streets and not promoting it? Where can the night bazaar be headed?

When my parents came to visit a few months ago I took them to the Night Bazaar and the Sunday Walking Street. I agree a lot of the booths are closing down within some of the Night Bazaar structures, but I have noticed that the people who are left are much more willing to give you a good deal. The Sunday Walking Street which I used to love, now seems to have expanded too much, and every single time I go, there seems to be more and more people and a pain in the butt to walk around and enjoy. Anyway, believe it or not, my parents the following week did not want to go back to the Sunday Walking Street, but rather the Night Bazaar, where they got some better deals than the Sunday Walking Street.

After being here off and on for 5 years, I usually avoid both, unless I'm going back home and need to stock up on presents, or I have friends or family visiting from out of town.

My best guess is it's just a result of the world economy downturn. Every community forum on tv has similar topics. It will be a few years before it ever returns, and even then it's not likely to return to the heydays about 4 years ago. I saw a similar down turn in 1997, and even then there was a greater exchange rate for your dollar or pound. The present exchange rate hurts the tourists and many people are choosing to stay home rather than travel. The super rich don't shop in night markets.

In any event, the question remains, are we witnessing the begining of the end for the night bazaar? Is the night bazaar destined to flop around like some dying fish stinking up the place until someone comes through with a giant earth mover and sweeps the rotten sections down into another dying mess, the Ping River?

I think you may be asking the wrong people. Presumably this question should be put to a certain beer company which now owns a sizeable portion (majority?) of the Night Bazaar.

If the Anusarn is flourishing presumably that was their motive in buying it - to contain a fairly old style Night Bazaar in one area. Presumably they have some other plan for the outer roadside areas.

I seldom go to NB because you have to park for a fee, and then I bought all my Lanna shirts in Wat Harinpunchai by 2006. My last Ferrari jacket at NB, 500 baht.

You can park in the Pavilion shopping Plaza for 1 hour if you spend in the establishments there. Just buy some hair clips at 7/11 and get a stamp on your parking ticket and your covered.

I think Panthip has free parking for 1 hour even if you don't buy hair clips!!

A Ferrari jacket for 500 baht!! That's so typical of the Nouveau Riche. They'll spend a fortune on a new Ferrari, just to show off, and then buy a fake jacket in the Night bazaar. Shame on you. :)  All show and no substance. Or as we say in Liverpool 'Fur coat and no knickers'. :D

PS. The smiley is for Glegolo - he's a bit slow (He's nearly 60 and living in Chaiyaphum so you have to make allowances).

Edited by KevinHunt

I seldom go to NB because you have to park for a fee, and then I bought all my Lanna shirts in Wat Harinpunchai by 2006. My last Ferrari jacket at NB, 500 baht.

You can park in the Pavilion shopping Plaza for 1 hour if you spend in the establishments there. Just buy some hair clips at 7/11 and get a stamp on your parking ticket and your covered.

I think Panthip has free parking for 1 hour even if you don't buy hair clips!!

A Ferrari jacket for 500 baht!! That's so typical of the Nouveau Riche. They'll spend a fortune on a new Ferrari, just to show off, and then buy a fake jacket in the Night bazaar. Shame on you. :) All show and no substance. Or as we say in Liverpool 'Fur coat and no knickers'. :D

PS. The smiley is for Glegolo - he's a bit slow (He's nearly 60 and living in Chaiyaphum so you have to make allowances).

who knows, maybe he was looking for a Honda Dream Jacket but it was out of stock :D

I use a Ducati rainsuit bought at the Ducati dealer; and a rainsuit bought in London. No knickers.

No knickers? You must be really hard.

Oops , gone off topic - quick get back on before Getgoin notices.

I think the Night bazaar is great (I would say that wouldn't I?) and so do a lot of my many customers. Walking Street is too busy and you certainly can't park your Ferrari there or anywhere near it for that matter.

Most tourists like it and as IanForbes said there aren't many of them around at the moment. If rents are too high and people move out, maybe(?) eventually the landlords might just get the message. Too many people overlook the fact that the Night Bazaar is more expensive because of higher rents. Easier to assume that they are rip-off merchants, even though a lot of the Night Bazaar traders also sell on walking street.

Edited by KevinHunt

... snip ... Please do not just say, "I don't like the night bazaar but I like the walking street."

Sawasdee Khrup Khun Getgoin,

I don't like the Night Bazaar, but I like the walking street.

The Night Bazaar is a festering pustule exuding schlock (and that's a euphemism).

best, ~o:37;

p.s. if you don't tell me what to say, or not say, I won't tell you what to think, or not think :)

... snip ... Please do not just say, "I don't like the night bazaar but I like the walking street."

Sawasdee Khrup Khun Getgoin,

I don't like the Night Bazaar, but I like the walking street.

The Night Bazaar is a festering pustule exuding schlock (and that's a euphemism).

p.s. if you don't tell me what to say, or not say, I won't tell you what to think, or not think :)

If you are someone pretending to be high or enlightened you could at least pretend to be enlightened.

Edited by getgoin

I've been in the Night Bazaar area a few times in the last month and also see it going downhill. There are spaces for rent all over the Kalare Market and the quality of food in the food court is terrible now. Some of it looks as though it has been sitting out for hours. Whatever that large new structure is called - is that the Pavillion with the Pizza Hut or whatever it is? Well, I was in there when construction was first completed several months ago and again the other night. Nothing has changed - still more than what, 75% unoccupied? I was talking to a girl in the Night Bazaar who told me that the rent is 20,000 Baht per month for the tiny little stall where she works selling Italian ice cream. She said that the rent for the coffee shop with outdoor seating is more than 80,000 Baht per month. Seems the beer company is trying to drive the vendors out of there.

If you don't go to the night bazaar, have never been then this is probably not a thread that you should post in. It is also not a post that seeks to compare the walking street flea markets with the night bazaar but some constructive comparisons are alright. Please do not just say, "I don't like the night bazaar but I like the walking street." I know it might be difficult for some but if you can't be coherent, constructive or insightful then the Miguel's thread is still open.

I hate to say this but I think orang37 might be right.....

'p.s. if you don't tell me what to say, or not say, I won't tell you what to think, or not think '

In fact, it's the first thing he's ever said that I've either understood or taken seriously!

And to continue the theme - I really mean that. As in 'really, really'.

Edited by KevinHunt

I use a Ducati rainsuit bought at the Ducati dealer; and a rainsuit bought in London. No knickers.

No knickers? You must be really hard. . . .

It is unwise to assume that others have the same response to stimuli as one does.

Isn't there something in the forum rules against providing information on pirated goods?

( maybe there isn't. :)

I hate to say this but I think orang37 might be right.....

'p.s. if you don't tell me what to say, or not say, I won't tell you what to think, or not think '

In fact, it's the first thing he's ever said that I've either understood or taken seriously!

And to continue the theme - I really mean that. As in 'really, really'.

Really, really, because I didn't want this thread to degrade into the chaotic, off topic nonsense that many simple folk pass off as being wit. Don't get it? Try the Guinness mirror.

I'm not telling anyone what to think or say, just trying to lend a little structure, if that is possible. So if you are getting into an quasi panty pincher that has the vocal chords in a bind, I say let it go just a bit and just spew it out. Doesn't matter to me.

... snip ... I hate to say this but I think orang37 might be right ... snip ... In fact, it's the first thing he's ever said that I've either understood or taken seriously! ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Kevin,

You don't know how much I appreciate the striving I know was necessary for you to overcome your hatred and say this !

And now, I and I, two, must strive : for to be 'understood' risks loss of balance given the possible instabilty of who or what you might be standing on; and given that to be 'taken seriously' is to be taken, that, too, could be a door to either kidnapping or ravishment depending.

As Ur-Orang once said in the Public Level One Melon teachings : "a banana peel is as slippery when wet."

:)

Isn't there something in the forum rules against providing information on pirated goods?

( maybe there isn't. :)

Who said anything about the great Pirate Roberts of Princess Bride? I assumed the Ducati rainsuit with its US$129+tax price-tag was genuine, but there was no autograph of M. Schumacher on the Ferrari jacket. Funny part was that I originally paid 900 or 1000 baht for the same jacket at the Night Bazaar, and she would not give a discount. When I left it in Brownsville, I returned to the NB and 500 was my first offer. No haggling; purchased. I should have started at 350 baht.

About knickers; I thought those were short trousers or pants, not panties.

Yes, knickerbockers. A word game rhymes knickerbocker with liquor locker. According to wiki

"Knickerbocker may refer to:

In clothing:

* Knickerbockers (clothing), men's or boys' baggy knee trousers

* Knickers, panties or women's undergarments

In food:

* The Knickerbocker glory, a British dessert

In people:

* An anglicized Dutch surname (also Knikkerbakker, Knickerbakker, Knickerbacker)

* Harmen Jansen Knickerbocker, A Dutch colonist in the Americas.

* Herman Knickerbocker, a United States Representative.

In literature:

* Diedrich Knickerbocker, pseudonym of Washington Irving

* The Knickerbocker: or, New-York Monthly Magazine

In music:

* The Knickerbockers, a "one hit wonder" American pop/rock music group best remembered for their 1965 hit, "Lies."

In places:

* Knickerbocker Avenue, a shopping strip and street in Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York

* Knickerbocker Avenue (BMT Myrtle Avenue Line), a New York City subway station

* Knickerbocker Village, a housing project in the Lower East Side, Manhattan, New York City

* Knickerbocker Station, a U.S. Post Office in lower Manhattan, New York City

* Six Times Square, also known as the Knickerbocker Hotel, in New York City

* The Knickerbocker Theatre, a former Broadway theatre

* The Knickerbocker Bar and Grill, a New York City jazz club

* The Times Union Center, formerly the Knickerbocker Arena, in Albany, New York

* Knickerbocker Hotel (Los Angeles) in California

* Knickerbocker Hotel (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)

* Knickerbocker, Texas, a community in the western part of the state

* Mr. Knickerbocker (Clemson, SC), a Clemson University clothing and memorabilia store

In sports:

* The Knickerbocker Rules, an early formalization of the rules of American baseball

* New York Knickerbockers, one of the first baseball teams

* New York Knicks (short for "Knickerbockers"), a National Basketball Association team

* The name of other sporting teams founded in the nineteenth century in various sports: baseball, cricket, athletics [1] [2] .

In organizations:

* The Knickerbocker Greys, an afterschool program in Manhattan, New York City"

... snip ... I hate to say this but I think orang37 might be right ... snip ... In fact, it's the first thing he's ever said that I've either understood or taken seriously! ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Kevin,

You don't know how much I appreciate the striving I know was necessary for you to overcome your hatred and say this !

And now, I and I, two, must strive : for to be 'understood' risks loss of balance given the possible instabilty of who or what you might be standing on; and given that to be 'taken seriously' is to be taken, that, too, could be a door to either kidnapping or ravishment depending.

As Ur-Orang once said in the Public Level One Melon teachings : "a banana peel is as slippery when wet."

:)

He's off again (did I hear someone say 'Off his bloody head'). Does anyone else here have any idea what any of that means? 

And there I was trying to be nice... Nutty as a fruit cake, if you ask me.

Back on topic - The problem with the night bazaar , like everwhere else here, is that there has been no planning. People keep knocking up fancy air-con malls without appreciating the fact that the tourists want the lived-in night bazaar look, of old. The extension to The Pavilion is as good as empty, Panthip is about half full on the upper floors and the new Mall opposite D2 was empty when I last looked. Then there is the new mall opposite Panthip - just the same. The only places where people go in are the ground-level small stall places. 

The Night Bazaar should be pedestrianised in the evenings - from 6pm, say, but the TukTuk drivers oppose it because they can't hussle the tourists. I know the locals don't like the night bazaar, but tourists do. The lack of trade stems from the lower number of tourists combined with the increasing number of outlets - same as the hotels.

Edited by KevinHunt

quote ... O'Mailey's has upped their game with a bevy of young ladies enticing clients to the door

thats interesting but if rose is still the cashier they wont get customers going back twice.

i havnt been there for years coz of her sour attitude

dave2

When all of the Night Bazaar area was tatty, the stalls blended in and looked sort of rustic. Now with the new buildings the stalls look like rubbish or building waste that has been put out for collection. I would say the kerbside component of the night bazaar is definitely on its last legs. The products are just as per Sukhumvit and nothing exceptional in terms of quality, price, etc. The only thing going for it is it more user friendly for the old or less durable, and in inclement weather it is easier to escape from.

The two walking streets are cooler on warm evenings and have better atmosphere, products, etc. But by jingo, its a long hike against a press of bodies when you finally need to escape - or it starts raining. The walking streets perform a useful function but it's hard for the stallholders to make a living from one or two nights/week (esp. when it is rained out like tonight).

Chiang Mai is going to wind up with malls as the only real shopping option unless the city council gets its act together and designates planned shopping areas for both top end and budget shoppers.

Top end: Designate one or two strips for landscaping, improved footpaths (ie. that you can push a pram or wheelchair along), awnings, co-ordinated colour schemes, lanna fascades, etc. Thapae Rd between the temple (opp. Lost Horizons) and Thapae Gate would lend itself to one of these. The sad reality is that they can't even organise to pull out those derelict green cement things that look like rubbish bins but were meant to be lights.

Budget shoppers: Something central, large and undercover, but well ventilated and comfortable ... with efforts to ensure that rents are kept reasonable and preference given to stalls selling local product, art, etc

Orang37: "Realise your real eyes" ... Guru Adrian

Edited by chiangmaibruce

quote ... O'Mailey's has upped their game with a bevy of young ladies enticing clients to the door

thats interesting but if rose is still the cashier they wont get customers going back twice.

i havnt been there for years coz of her sour attitude

dave2

You're safe to go back to O'Malley's as Rose now works at The Red Lion. 

I don't know what problem you had, but all of the O'Malley's customers that see her at Red Lion now are happy to see her, and she is very good with the tourists. Only this evening a trio of Aussie old boys were enjoying a joke with her and were pleased to see her arrive in the evening. They've been in my place twice a day for 5 or 6 days and are enjoying the banter with Rose and one of the guys that work for me. I have two members of staff that are excellent with the tourists, one of them is the new guy that joined recently and the other is Rose. Maybe she was unhappy for some reason whilst she was at O'Malley's but since she has been with me she is very good. BTW, Rose worked with me in the old days at Haus Munchen so I've known her for about 15 years or more. 

I think maybe Rose had too many responsibilities at O'Malley's or maybe personal problems but I can't fault her since her return - a very popular member of my staff.

I remember a very personal attack on Rose in the old O'Malleys-Red Lion thread. I wasn't a member of Thai Visa and she wasn't working for me then so I didn't respond but I do recall that not only was the comment OTT it showed a great lack of respect to someone that was in no position to reply. I hope that anyone responding to this thread will bear in mind that forum rules don't allow personal attacks, and I would think that it applies to everyone not just fellow members. I know Rose was very upset about the remarks.

Observations are fine I'm sure, but out and out rudeness shows a lack of class, as far as I'm concerned - espescially when said behind the anonimity of a forum. If you haven't got something nice to say about somebody .....

Walked through the Night Bazaar to do some shopping for a trip and was amazed how empty the place was with merchants and vendors.

The Kalare Night Bazaar is half empty with signs all around advertising space for rent. The Pavilion is more than half empty. The Peak is closed. The Plaza, well what where they thinking? Didn't go into the old night bazaar but I'm willing to bet that the basement and the first floor are almost full of vendors and the other 2 floors empty. The Meridian, well, I'm still waiting for Saks and Harrods.

The word from the vendors everywhere is that rents are too expensive and everyone is moving out, probably working the endless walking street and parking lot flea markets.

The street stalls still seem to be there selling the T-shirts and switch blades, dvds, fake sunglasses.

The surprise was the Anusarn Market. Full of vendors selling trinkets and crafts similar to the Sunday Market, probably the same people. The place was full.

The seafood restaurants seemed to be doing good business and it brought me back to the time when everyone would head to the Anusarn to eat seafood. The negative, they have gotten expensive and have not upgraded or cleaned since who knows. Lennas was still its full of promise and hope and then not delivering, although we did not get the customary overcharge.

There is a new, not improved, string of suedo international restaurants around O'Mailey's that all sell the same items and have hawkers out front calling out, "Burgers, pizza, spaghetti." They remind me of hawkers that can be found in Bangkok kicking open a door or holding open a curtain.

O'Mailey's has upped their game with a bevy of young ladies enticing clients to the door.

Did the big influx of hotels and the unfinished business of a previous government official spell the ultimate demise of a Chiang Mai institution? Will the high rents push out the vendors that bring in the tourists? What about the street stalls? Has the city set it's sights on the demise of the night bazaar by promoting the walking streets and not promoting it? Where can the night bazaar be headed?

"O'Mailey's has upped their game with a bevy of young ladies enticing clients to the door"

Rose cannot be one of them else the place will be empty :)

Always found Rose to be most welcoming even as I was banging on the shutters at OMs at 2-00am in the morning enquiring as tae their opening hours......always got a last pint. :D

Also on last visit she was the first to say hello as I walked into the RL and must admit she did indeed look pretty happy....so........................pint of Heinee Krup.. :)

I've been in the Night Bazaar area a few times in the last month and also see it going downhill. There are spaces for rent all over the Kalare Market and the quality of food in the food court is terrible now. Some of it looks as though it has been sitting out for hours. Whatever that large new structure is called - is that the Pavillion with the Pizza Hut or whatever it is? Well, I was in there when construction was first completed several months ago and again the other night. Nothing has changed - still more than what, 75% unoccupied? I was talking to a girl in the Night Bazaar who told me that the rent is 20,000 Baht per month for the tiny little stall where she works selling Italian ice cream. She said that the rent for the coffee shop with outdoor seating is more than 80,000 Baht per month. Seems the beer company is trying to drive the vendors out of there.

Cyclic..it will return to being just a car park once more...the butterfly is short lived..better off being a grub.