Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JJ managed to get himself splashed all over Ch7 (Thai) news last night. There was a good 10 minute piece on him. From what I could gather he had been "set" up by the sneaky farang tv crews !!! Looks like the wheels are well and truly in motion to "pass the buck"

Don't know if anyone saw it and could shed any more light on it but they were certainly dedicating a fair bit of air time to it.

JJ managed to get himself splashed all over Ch7 (Thai) news last night. There was a good 10 minute piece on him. From what I could gather he had been "set" up by the sneaky farang tv crews !!! Looks like the wheels are well and truly in motion to "pass the buck"

Don't know if anyone saw it and could shed any more light on it but they were certainly dedicating a fair bit of air time to it.

He is a smooth operator. He probably gets tons of female farang backpackers in the sack. :)

Sorry Lancelot if I select some paras from your post...

The Chinese have pull simply because their honorary consul is willing to get his hands dirty and intervene on behalf of his countrymen. Gee, I wonder what would happen if the rest of us called our respective embassies whenever we find ourselves in similar trouble?

I guess there are ppl in the world willing to pay high amounts for this attention JJ now gets FREE worldwide, wonder when the first RAPmusic is made for him, or a daily soap in Thailand :)

The rumor, and that's all it is, is that the Thai side has rescinded filming permits and permissions for further shooting. The theory, which I think is wrong, is that the series has not finished filming.

Yes let's hope it is wrong.

I doubt very much that this is still being filmed, tv shows whether they are reality or not just aren't made like this, editing one show can take a while, also if nothing interesting happened during a particular week then the following Monday's show would be pretty dull and lose ratings.

If you watch the uncut footage on youtube you can see how much power editing has to turn a story into something that it's not, heck even Big Brother in the UK was never really 'live' as there was a 15 min time delay...

This producer will set filming in Thailand back 30 years. All in the name of getting greedy and staging the jetski scene. If it were not for this he likely would have been able to return to Thailand and continue the series. Now he'll have to go somewhere like Mexico. Problem is the Mexicans may not be so accommodating and they like to carry real guns.

So what will be accomplished from this show? Many in the audience will view Thailand as a dangerous and corrupt place filled with overzealous, drunken, sex crazed tourists. Many foreigners will avoid a visit.

Some Thais will see foreign tourists in an increasingly undesirable light and may become more Xenophobic. Any policing of ripoffs will be short lived and actually become more common if the economy does not turn.

As for the producers they will make off with a bundle and never visit Thailand again.

And the foreign film industry will see more barriers with greater monitoring and censorship.

Edited by losworld

This producer will set filming in Thailand back 30 years. All in the name of getting greedy and staging the jetski scene. If it were not for this he likely would have been able to return to Thailand and continue the series. Now he'll have to go somewhere like Mexico. Problem is the Mexicans may not be so accommodating and carry real guns.

It's unfortunate but I see a host of problems and greater monitoring and censorship coming down the pipe for foreign film makers.

I agree with you there.

At least it will make it cost much more to be able to do it.

I also think if local stations will air this show, they will use their creativity and edit it before it's put on.

I can see the foreigners/visitors being stereotyped instead, showing how bad the farang visitors are.

It's a natural twist, as it is much better to show how bad other people than our own people are.

The marines were total pussies, so was their captain.

I wouldnt have been intimidated by those punks. The right course of action would be to call the police, get them to inspect the damage, ask for a damage report etc.

The police would then say.. yes the damage is 50k.. you must pay.. What then ??

The cops are always in on it.. And take 20 - 30% of the payment.

^Apart from jetski incident - everything was the tourist's doing. So as far as I am concerned nothing really bad for Thailand's reputation except for few visiting muppets getting themselves in trouble.

Then you need to watch it again. The girl is handed cannabis, she turns and miraculously there is a police officer. Oh, and this is a serious crime. Drugs are bad! But... if you have 65,000 Baht, you can be on your way. Phagnan, Samui and Phuket are disgustingly corrupt places and certain Thais there are becoming enormously wealthy.

No she 'said' she just had it passed to her.. Then later admitted it was her boyfriends and she had it all along..

In episode 2 the sackless boyfriend fecks off and abandons her to her fate, and leaves her in Thailand while he flys off home.

They usually end up picking up some insecure 19 year old backpacker girl and bleed her dry, until she goes back home and they find another one and end up with several girls sending them money.

Watch out for these guys girls!

Exactly how JJ got his first jetski.. Got some japper chick to buy it for him.

If a report on the shams going on in an area of Thailand is enough to set film making back 30 years then I would say that I really did not believe that some Thai people are so mentally fragile as to let this bother them to that extent.

I just saw part 2. Entertaining and for the most part the tourist came off looking like idiots. Complete and total idiots.

TheWalkingMan

This producer will set filming in Thailand back 30 years. All in the name of getting greedy and staging the jetski scene. If it were not for this he likely would have been able to return to Thailand and continue the series. Now he'll have to go somewhere like Mexico. Problem is the Mexicans may not be so accommodating and they like to carry real guns.

So what will be accomplished from this show? Many in the audience will view Thailand as a dangerous and corrupt place filled with overzealous, drunken, sex crazed tourists. Many foreigners will avoid a visit.

Some Thais will see foreign tourists in an increasingly undesirable light and may become more Xenophobic. Any policing of ripoffs will be short lived and actually become more common if the economy does not turn.

As for the producers they will make off with a bundle and never visit Thailand again.

And the foreign film industry will see more barriers with greater monitoring and censorship.

So once again Thailand stands above all and criticising is not allowed.

Would you also suggest that Michael Moore isn't welcome in the US anymore.

Alright Kev, well if my spelling discredits my argument in your opinion then so be it you must revel in your god like status as an English teach in Thailand LOL. Maybe you could volunteer to be tourist police then you can really ruffle your feathers.

It does seem rather strange that JJ would openly extort money from 8+ marines in front of a TV crew. It is even more strange that he had previously been interviewed on the subject.. and would then CALL the TV producer to get him down there to show him extorting money from the marines! Or perhaps you think the marines did actually damage the jet ski, which is an opinion I can accept.

Theres nothing strange once you understand that they really dont see this as wrong.

Its the attitude of Patong beach, we can do what the fuc_k we like to take money from the tourists.. We have all the power, and the visiting farang has none, no recourse via the police as they will take the Thais side no matter how weak the excuse.

This is the day in day out reality.. Jetskis, gogo touts (500 baht beers !!), bike rentals, tuktukts etc..

So once again Thailand stands above all and criticising is not allowed.

Would you also suggest that Michael Moore isn't welcome in the US anymore.

No absolutely not. I am not against investigative journalism. I favor any approach that exposes the truth among lies and corruption. And yes there are some things that need to be exposed in Thailand. The problem with this presentation is that it uses "untruths" to expose the truth. One thing I always liked about Jerry Springer was he openly admitted his show was a piece of crap and that his methods were not the best. But you watched it knowing this and simply viewed it as entertainment. I can't recall anyone using a Jerry Springer episode as fodder in an argument. Problem here is that many believe or want to believe the jet ski incident is real.

Further the Thais may feel burned in more ways than one. We don't yet know what type of application was made regarding the filming as in what the objective or subject matter was going to be. I hope it was all above board.

No offense to anyone on the board for presenting my argument. I do enjoy the entertainment value on Thai Visa and have read some of the most amusing, entertaining, informative and funny posts anywhere.

People keep mentioning that the producer is getting (or will be getting) rich from this show, can anyone prove this? What kind of figures are we talking about? $10k?

Of course nobody can prove it.

Hard to prove how much the producers of Survivor or Biggest Loser got as well.

But if the series is being sold to other countries, it is fair to believe they will make money, isnt it?

People keep mentioning that the producer is getting (or will be getting) rich from this show, can anyone prove this? What kind of figures are we talking about? $10k?

Are you kidding? Likely hundreds of thousands of dollars in profit if a good viewership.

Are you kidding? Likely hundreds of thousands of dollars in profit if a good viewership.

:):D:D

Of course nobody can prove it.

Hard to prove how much the producers of Survivor or Biggest Loser got as well.

But if the series is being sold to other countries, it is fair to believe they will make money, isnt it?

As the prize money in Survivor is $1M it's fair to assume that they're making a good deal more than that. Having said that, this series is not likely to gain anywhere near the international viewing figures of Survivor, though no doubt the production company will do quite nicely out of it.

Do principals not matter? You don't ignore the indefensible because someone's image will be tarnished. If thai's stop screwing people with their scams then there won't be any footage of people getting screwed by their scams. Thailand needs to wake up to the fact that there are other options for tourists.

Big Trouble in Thailand Episode 2

Part 1

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWmv9o_14rE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWmv9o_14rE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWmv9o_14rE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

part 2

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhuXUdBmej8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhuXUdBmej8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhuXUdBmej8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

part 3

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gamMhnultLs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gamMhnultLs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gamMhnultLs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Um that didnt work any ideas?

Saw episode 2 last night. I didn't think it as entertaining as the first...but then you do have to grab your audience early on.

Lots of fighting and the aftermath. A lady boy in Pattaya had a go at a soldier by smashing a bottle over his head. A military policeman and a tourist police volunteer intervened and had her arrested. Off to the nick smiling and sticking her tongue out.

Couple of mercenaries from Iraq acting the &lt;deleted&gt; in a dance bar and getting pounced on and again a bottle across the back of the neck. This needed medical help. They give their story. A guy in a green shirt appears and gives a totally different version. He is accused of being the bottle man which he flatly denies, however the CCTV playback shows him to be the guy with the bottle!

More on drunken fighting louts off ships and on R & R. God ...what the locals have to put up with. They shouldn't be allowed ashore.

The court appearance of the girl with the smoke.....won't tell you what happened!

Interesting. Remember here on TV the post about the father and son "team" caught scamming the ATM's? The son has been in jail for 18 months now and could face 36 years! He was on from the jail claiming he was on his bike and knew and had nothing to do with the fraud. The street cameras do show him on the bike but waiting for his father, who is now in another jail with no personal contact at all with the son.

All in all just another night out in Thailand.

Um that didnt work any ideas?

Yes ... it's called a Torrent....

Just finished watching part 2 ....

Now I know why I live on Koh Chang.... We have the Girls.. The Beaches .. The Bar's....

Just less drunken mindless violence... We do have some .. and there are always drunken English men involved...

But it's nothing like the Thailand that this show portray's ....

Mind you the police corruption is about the same..

S.J.C