Free Hotels Etc

brianw

I have just read this weeks edition Pattaya Mail re.. Bringing tourism back to pattaya. in the article it stated that on the 1st aug. there will be a pattaya grand sale and a all city grand sale can anyone give me a link to these sales so that I can start planning my next visit

Media Blitz offering free rooms backfires. this weeks Pattaya Mail it states second phase starts 1st Aug

I was offered a free room with obligatory breakfast for two at Bt1300! plus tax and service charge on normal room price. What a joke!

I have said this before on other threads

There are free rooms on offer - if you are organising a trip for (say) a dozen people for a fortnight - then you will probably be able to get a couple of rooms free on top of that dozen. So you either use themyourself, or book another couple of tourists and keep their fees.

Same thing goes for airlines, trains, what-have-you.

So just get a dozen of your mates to pay you for the trip, rather than an agency, and I'm sure you'll get your free room.

And, by God, you will have earned it by the time the trip is over! And you won't have any mates left - those that went will be angry about not having everything as good as back home, those that didn't go will be angry because you didn't take them.

You'll never win - but you will get your free room.

yeah they initially made an awful big deal out of that free room thing but it's been aawwffuulllllyy quiet lately about that? yes,

i'll also defer to britmaveric here because that just seems like good common sense. free-rooms-for-thais-only

The 'free room' is probably just an error in translation and as some have indicated, "buy 1 get 1 free" or "book a minimum of xx days and get x days free" or "book sat/sun and get mon free" is probably more the case. These will be probably sold through travel agencies as part of packages and not generally available to walk-in customers, be they Thai or just farang cheap charlies.

Look at it this way, apart from Vegas, have you ever encountered BULK marketing of totally free rooms elsewhere on the planet?

I don't see where it's "Thai only". I am sure you won't find farangs being knocked back and the Thai next to him checking getting it free. I guess the paranoid members subscribing to the notion of the 'xenophobic Thai' will be sorely disappointed in that regard.

googling "pattaya free room" does provide some results, mostly vastly overpriced buy 3 nights get one free deal but

at the many thousands of baht mentioned, doesn't look like much of a deal to me. actually in truth there have been

many other promotions for domestic tourists (read thais only) surprising nanlaew doesn't know that after 30 years here.

^ As I reckoned, it's not a 100% free deal, how surprising.

Well.... since I haven't bothered to learn the lingo and never had the need of a 'free' room for Thai relatives and friends, I guess all these promotions never popped up on my radar. I will try and get out more, OK?

From Pattaya at night dot com

Pattaya City Hall launched 17 million Baht 'Scam'

Pattaya's 17 million Baht advertising campaign incited a backlash with angry tourists.

Pattaya - Be our Guest On August 8, 2009 officials from Pattaya City Hall called an emergency damage-control meeting with local tourist-oriented businesses.

Many angry visitors, mostly local Thai tourists, are calling the 'Pattaya Be Our Guest' promotion a scam and are complaining that no discounts or freebies were actually available.

In fact the fine print of the promotion had not been properly explained and is hard to understand for most people.

The advertising campaign gives the impression that Pattaya is offering free rooms and a lot of other discounts.

But Pattaya Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome rejected criticism that the 'Pattaya Be Our Guest' media blitz was a waste of money and a scam.

'It was never our intention to give any free rooms to all Pattaya tourists', Pattaya Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome said during the meeting,

'They were only intended to be granted as gifts for the winners of TV and radio show games'.

The 17 million Baht campaign was launched by Pattaya Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome, his brother Wittaya Khunplome (the Mayor of Chonburi's Provincial Administration Organization), GMM Live and GMM Media. The four were also the organizers of the Pattaya International Music Festival earlier this year. Somchai Kunplome, also known as Kamnan Poh and the father of the two Kunplome brothers, is currently hiding himself in Cambodia. Thailand's Police is hunting him for corruption and a few other offences. According to the pollice, he is also implicated in a murder. During many years Somchai Kunplome was the mayor of Saen Suk, was involved in the expansion of Bang Saen and had (or probably even has) very good connections to other communities in Chonburi, including Banglamung, Naklua, Jomtien and Pattaya.

:):D

As the prosecution started to ramble on a bit in the third paragraph, the defence leapt to their feet and called, 'Irrelevant!'

'Sustained' said the judge.

The opening paragraph and middle statement does not surprise me much.

What's Thai for, "There's no such thing as a free lunch" ?