Renting A Car In Surathani

seville

Hi seville, planning on a little holiday jaunt around the south? have fun :)

Budget has an office at the surat airport

Arrival Hall Surat Thani Airport

73 Moo 3 Huatoey,

Poonpin,

Suratthani 84130

Phone:

+66 (0) 7744 1166

Fax:

+66 (0) 7744 1167

The OP may save some money by using ThaiVisa's own online car rental booking service as I have found the online prices they come up with are cheaper than the online prices dealing direct with the same local Thai rental companies. This is the case for BKK and UTH so try it and see.

BUDGET is indeed a great company, I used them many times in Thailand. And will do the same again exactly in SURAT next month....

PLUS their rental rates can be ridiculously cheap. Next week, at the DISCOVERY THAILAND TRAVEL FAIR (Sept. 3rd-6th, Queen Sirikit Center, BKK) you will most probably (at least it was ALWAYS like that during the travel fairs in the past few years) purchase their pre-paid Vouchers again. Economy car - usually a brandnew Honda Jazz or Toyota Vios - for just 699 Baht a day incl. insurance.

I always buy my vouchers on those occasions and will do the same again next week.

those vouchers are valid for 1 year. all other big car-rental-chains (Avis, National, Hertz) have similar deals. But Budget has the biggest network in the kingdom.....

I would think that in order for the insurance to cover you, you have to be legal to drive in Thailand. I would suggest contacting Budget and asking them if an IDP is required or if, as a tourist on a tourist visa, you can use your home country's license. I believe, but am not 100% sure on this, that if you have a non-immigrant visa you must have either an IDP or Thai Drivers license in order to be a legal driver in Thailand.

According to the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull website, you must have both an IDP and your home country's driving licence:

An International Driving Licence is required for most foreign persons wishing to drive in Thailand and must be accompanied by the Driving Licence issued to them in their country of nationality or residence. A foreigner is allowed to drive in Thailand for up to 6 months on an International Driving Licence after which they must obtain a Thai Driving Licence. The holder of a UK driving licence can apply for an International Driving Licence IDP 1949 through the “AA” and you can download an application form from their website www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html. A Thai Driving Licence can be obtained at the Thailand Transportation Department in Bangkok only if you possess a valid International Driving Licence which has been issued in the country of your nationality

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads/Cr%...%20Thailand.doc

Edited by thailandlover

• 1 month later...

PLease Please Please never rent a car in Suratthani or any other typical thai style town in Thailand. the only one i would ever rent a car from is the car rentals at the airport as teh other blogger said. I say this because i have heard so many nightmare stories about lots of shops around Surat town centre advertising cars for rent, with hire prices, no insurance and lots of hidden nasty extras. if i remember correcly there are 2 car rentals at the airport and they are both cheaper than renting from teh car for rent sharks in Surat! hope this helps x