Cheapest Electronics In Asia

cookiesunshinex

From my experience :

Sim Lim Square, Singapore

Wanchai computer mall HongKong Island, and the other similar mall on Kowloon.

Akihabara district in Tokyo (can't remember then prices), but the variety of stuff was mind boggling.

Edited by penelope

From my experience :

Wanchai computer mall HongKong Island, and the other similar mall  on Kowloon.

Akihabara district in Tokyo (can't remember then prices), but the variety of stuff was mind boggling.

Be a bit carefull in Akihabara, indeed some mind boggling stuff, but most of it geared to japanese standards, some times different from the west.

Wanchai is good but carefull on some of the prices.

Sim Lim good.

From my experience :

Wanchai computer mall HongKong Island, and the other similar mall  on Kowloon.

Be a bit carefull in Akihabara, indeed some mind boggling stuff, but most of it geared to japanese standards, some times different from the west.

Yes, you'll generally need a step down transformer to use the applicances in LOS, Aussies, NZL, Singapore etc....

In Hong Kong Sham Shui Po is usually cheaper than Wan Chai Computer Centre, depends what you're after tho'. The Golden Centre is good for all sorts of computer stuff. Mobile phones, electronic tools, etc. can be got for good prices in nearby streets.

If you're into high end digital photography there's a good selection in Mong Kok, a good store at the back of the Golden Centre, there's also some interesting stores in the upstairs plaza behind the Mirimar Hotel (TST).

I don't recommend the Tsim Sa Tsui electronics stores (around Nathan Rd) unless you know precisely what you are after and what you should pay for it - you usually end up getting not quite what you want and paying more for it.

HK has no goods and services tax so don't be fooled into buying at a "duty free" outlet.

FWIW I found it easier to buy stuff in Singapore than BKK. Friendly staff who actually know what they're talking about, and speak English well. Plus many shops which had setups for comparison - a dozen different speaker systems on a switcher, for example so you could compare easily. I even saw one display with a bunch of computers side by side - all identical CPU RAM etc, but different video cards. Never seen anything like that in LOS.

Edited by Merlin

FWIW I found it easier to buy stuff in Singapore than BKK. Friendly staff who actually know what they're talking about, and speak English well. Plus many shops which had setups for comparison - a dozen different speaker systems on a switcher, for example so you could compare easily. I even saw one display with a bunch of computers side by side - all identical CPU RAM etc, but different video cards. Never seen anything like that in LOS.

Agreed, Sim Lim is very good. Just avoid the ground floor "sharks" and head straight up the escalators though.