Ptt Oil Spill Off Australian Coast.

asiancup2007

The leakings been stopped. Why the Australian goverment let Thai companies operate in our waters is rediculas. The 'engineer' that probably designed the structure probably graduated from some Thai uni with a degree equivalent to a year 10 school certificate in Australia. They better start cleaning it up and if needed compensating the fishing and other comunities affected.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/oil-leak...91103-hv9e.html

Personally I see your statement as ignorant.

I am Australian also. I have run a number of companies in Thailand, both local and westerner owned. To ask why the Australian government let's Thai companies operate in Australian waters and your assumption the West Atlus rig was exclusively Thai designed is purely idiotic, probably much like the author. Nothing could be further from the truth, so before you ramble rubbish again take a look at the facts, a couple I have provided you here with 2 minutes research.

• The West Atlas platform is a drilling rig.
  • It was built by Keppel FELS in Singapore. The Group, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Keppel Corporation, was established in 2002 and is headquartered in Singapore. Its strategic network of 20 yards serving regions including Asia Pacific, Gulf of Mexico, Brazil, Caspian Sea, Middle East and the North Sea, enables the effective execution of the Group’s Near Market, Near Customer strategy.
  • Seadrill of Norway operate the rig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • The Montara platform was built in 2008, and was installed in mid-2009 by Perth, Australia-based engineering company Clough by Australian engineers!

I run companies because of my skill sets, fluent in Thai, western in nature. I don't know the workforce breakdown on the rig, but I can guarantee you there were numerous Australian's working there, and there Health and Safety Officers and a bunch of engineers and operations staff are Australian.....

Also worth adding that PTTEP bought the Australian company that owned the Montara field in February 2009.

TH

The leakings been stopped. Why the Australian goverment let Thai companies operate in our waters is rediculas. The 'engineer' that probably designed the structure probably graduated from some Thai uni with a degree equivalent to a year 10 school certificate in Australia. They better start cleaning it up and if needed compensating the fishing and other comunities affected.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/oil-leak...91103-hv9e.html

Personally I see your statement as ignorant.

I am Australian also. I have run a number of companies in Thailand, both local and westerner owned. To ask why the Australian government let's Thai companies operate in Australian waters and your assumption the West Atlus rig was exclusively Thai designed is purely idiotic, probably much like the author. Nothing could be further from the truth, so before you ramble rubbish again take a look at the facts, a couple I have provided you here with 2 minutes research.

• The West Atlas platform is a drilling rig.
  • It was built by Keppel FELS in Singapore. The Group, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Keppel Corporation, was established in 2002 and is headquartered in Singapore. Its strategic network of 20 yards serving regions including Asia Pacific, Gulf of Mexico, Brazil, Caspian Sea, Middle East and the North Sea, enables the effective execution of the Group's Near Market, Near Customer strategy.
  • Seadrill of Norway operate the rig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • The Montara platform was built in 2008, and was installed in mid-2009 by Perth, Australia-based engineering company Clough by Australian engineers!

I run companies because of my skill sets, fluent in Thai, western in nature. I don't know the workforce breakdown on the rig, but I can guarantee you there were numerous Australian's working there, and there Health and Safety Officers and a bunch of engineers and operations staff are Australian.....

Thanks jayjayjayjay for pointing out my stupid error. I apoligise for my comment about the engineer, just having a bad morning I think. I've been recently getting fustrated at the lack of quality education over here especially at the university level and managed to find a way to combine 2 fustrations when it obviously wasn't needed. (That being the oil leaking for weeks and weeks and the thai education system.)

Well at least its stopped now and I hope the equiry will reduce the risks of something like this happening again.

Thanks for posting that jay4 I was just priming the big guns getting ready to deliver a full broadside and you've saved me the ordnance.

Some people should stick to things they know about like navel lint.

I was treating the remarks with the contempt they deserved, by just ignoring them...my response... "damnant quodnon intelligunt" ....(They condemn what they do not understand)....it may also shock the author of these comments that PTTEP is partially owned by TOTAL and British Gas !!!...... :)

Well said Freddy its nice to see someone admit they made a mistake graciously and apologise. Good for you :)

Cheers Freddie, second yabaaaa's comments. I've had my moments of frustration with Thai workers, believe me it would be volumes, not pages. However, I do have great engineers working for me at the moment, maybe not of top management level, but I certainly know that on the job training has yielded some superstars. Part of our world is to enter their world, with fluent Thai you enter a new dimension and discover some unknown talents, language is not everyone's skill set.

At the same time, both bureaucratic and education systems here would likely suffer a red hot bashing any given day, not to say the least immigration!!

Been searching hi and lo --- What was the ignition source for the fire? The facility had been shut down for 10 weeks and should have been 'cold' and unmanned. How far is 'West Triton' sitting from the well head? If I was a real skeptic I could suggest it was deliberately torched to burn off the spillage thus minimizing pollution.

EDIT: And not by the greenies but the operators and in cohersion with their insurers.

Edited by bdenner

[*] The Montara platform was built in 2008, and was installed in mid-2009 by Perth, Australia-based engineering company Clough by Australian engineers!

Now there is a scary thought....having see their handy work before.... :)

If I was still in the contracting game I'd take offense at that statement. I found Clough to be very professional and a pleasure to work for.

To what 'handy work' do you refer.

Been searching hi and lo --- What was the ignition source for the fire? The facility had been shut down for 10 weeks and should have been 'cold' and unmanned. How far is 'West Triton' sitting from the well head? If I was a real skeptic I could suggest it was deliberately torched to burn off the spillage thus minimizing pollution.

EDIT: And not by the greenies but the operators and in cohersion with their insurers.

The West Triton is not on fire. It was brought into to try and cutoff the well after the leak started back in August (which it has apparently succeed in doing today). The leak started when Seadrill's jack up rig, the West Atlas was drilling through the Montara platform when a well on the platform blew out. Seadrill denies they caused it.

Both the West Atlas and the platform look to be pretty badly damaged. It has been confirmed the cantilevered part of the West Atlas has fallen collapsed onto the platform. Though the jacket on the platform may still be usable. the topsides look to fried. The rig wil be towed back to Batam and will probably be back in service in a year or so. At a rate of some $225k a day, it can make some real money these days.

I doubt they set it on purpose, that would be very hard to get away with, to say nothing of being somewhat self defeating to destroy rigs worth many hundreds of millions of dollars. I suspect there was a spark when they were trying to plug the leak, and they have admitted it probably started due ot operations going on at the time.

Most of this will be covered by the CAR policy, but I suspect there may be more damages then the cap on that.

TH

Inferno: the fire on the Montara wellhead platform, to the left, and the West Atlas, right, rages out of control

Edited by thaihome

The West Triton is not on fire. ---------
Where did I say it was the rescue rig on fire. WAKE UP. I just asked where it was parked in relation to the carnage! The only physical contact between to two should be at the 2500 metre level where the plug was to be placed, your not saying something down there sent a hot spot to the surface to ignite the fire? Edited by bdenner

Some people should stick to things they know about like navel lint.

Point taken, I know pretty much nothing about the oil industry. Don't know much about navel lint either I'm ashamed to say :D

Lesson learnt.

Well you, unlike many others, are man enough to admit it and come back and admit so. My hat is off to you mate.

The thing is, nobody can just turn up to any country and say "'scuse me mate can I drill for oil ahht there in yer sea bit?". Any exploration and production platforms have to be certified and registered with the likes of Lloyds or DNV before they are even allowed out of harbour. The crews have to be internationally certified, as much for the operator's sake (as they are sinking - pun intended- millions into any such venture) as the nation's environmental concerns.

Unfortunately accidents happen, just think of Piper Alpha. :)

God rest their souls.