Snow Leopard (mac) Release

tcris52

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be put off by the slow shipping time quoted by the Thailand apple store. Everything i have ordered from Mac Pro's, macbooks accessories etc. has always arrived days earlier than it quotes when u order by DHL.

that is good to know. if it can ship in 24 hours, i might have my hands on it by friday. if not, i'll assume monday will be the day. thanks for the input.

fwiw, spend 2000baht at the Apple Shop and get free shipping.

I decided to finally install it... only to find that my install DVD is bad! ARgh... need to get a replacement... I don't know why they don't just offer this as a download from the iTunes store.

your Snow Leopard install DVD is bad? i have heard of this issue with other users. can i ask where you got your copy?

I found the beta version a little buggy but that was to be expected. The retail version that I downloaded is great, however. Not massive but you can see a clear increase in the speed of some operations. My favorite add-ons have already come out with compatible versions so I'm quite happy with the upgrade.

I decided to finally install it... only to find that my install DVD is bad! ARgh... need to get a replacement... I don't know why they don't just offer this as a download from the iTunes store.

your Snow Leopard install DVD is bad? i have heard of this issue with other users. can i ask where you got your copy?

Chiang Mai Apple dealership, iStudio. On Sirimangkala road. I have heard from others with the same issue too... I just went there and got a replacement, sales girl did not seem in the least surprised... I am checking the new disk as I am typing this, lets see...

Anybody installed SL who has a CAT CDMA CCU 680? I want to know if this still works after... thx...

It works, but you have to remove the device from system preferences and re-add it.

Do you have one? Did you uninstall the software that came with it, and re-install it? Or does SL not need special drivers at all? I am going to test this ASAP I am just going to install the whole system on an external hard drive that I cloned my system disk to. Then I can check if everything works and if it does, make another clone to be on the safe side, and install on the main drive....

Chiang Mai Apple dealership, iStudio. On Sirimangkala road. I have heard from others with the same issue too... I just went there and got a replacement, sales girl did not seem in the least surprised... I am checking the new disk as I am typing this, lets see...

That's where I got mine and had to return it. Here is the funny part. When myself and others returned the disk then they just re shrink wrapped them and put them back on the shelf. If you have a notebook then a terrrific idea to take it to the shop and install it there.

Chok Di !!

That's where I got mine and had to return it. Here is the funny part. When myself and others returned the disk then they just re shrink wrapped them and put them back on the shelf. If you have a notebook then a terrrific idea to take it to the shop and install it there.

Chok Di !!

Maybe I got your old one... LOL

In a way it doesn't surprise me, given the level of service at this particular Apple dealer. What they don't know is... Apple dealers all over the world used to be like this, garbage service with an attitude. That's why Apple opened their own retail shops, and thats why these kill the independent dealers very quickly. It's going to happen in Thailand too, though I guess Chiang Mai is "safe" for years to come...

Installed. Ccu 680 still needs the crappy connection software, but it works.

Cisco VPN built in works also, but not over CDMA.

Most astounding: snow leopard recovered 20GB on my disk. Before, I had 88 GB available. After, 108!

That smaller footprint is indeed a plus. One other thing you could do is download and run a program called "Monolingual". I use it to remove all languages except for English and Thai. Whatever you do, keep the English as a base. It can save you Gigs of space by removing unused languages and architectures.

its definitely a smaller footprint but part of the change is that Apple changed the way they measure diskspace. Before they used base 2 and now changed to base 10 measure.

Because digital information consists of 1’s and 0’s (two possible settings), digital architecture revolves around powers of 2. Long ago, when nomenclature was setup for measuring data the term kilobyte was adopted to represent 2 to the 10th power bytes (base 2, aka real math). The problem here is that 2^10= 1024 and when laymen hear the root “kilo” they think 1000 which is 24 byes less (base 10, aka fake math). So, if you have a 500,000,000 byte drive, base 10 math would call that a 500GB drive, but base 2 math would call that 476.8GB

its definitely a smaller footprint but part of the change is that Apple changed the way they measure diskspace. Before they used base 2 and now changed to base 10 measure.

LOL - I can't believe I didn't catch this! You are right, my drive now shows up as a 319.73 GB hard disk, whereas before it was 298 or so.

88GB I had available before SL are 94.5 billion bytes, e.g. 94.5 GB in the new nomenclature. Now I have 108, so it's still over 10GB saved.

The new nomenclature of course makes a lot more sense than the previous one. Typical Apple to blaze a trail and be the first to implement such a change. I am sure Windows will soon follow, whereas Linux will probably "keep it real" for a long time to come... :) The reality is, no-one cares about base 2 and even as a computer scientist I can't really think of a good reason to measure disk space in base 2 units, e.g. powers of 1024...

Edited by nikster

Installed. Ccu 680 still needs the crappy connection software, but it works.

Cisco VPN built in works also, but not over CDMA.

Most astounding: snow leopard recovered 20GB on my disk. Before, I had 88 GB available. After, 108!

That smaller footprint is indeed a plus. One other thing you could do is download and run a program called "Monolingual". I use it to remove all languages except for English and Thai. Whatever you do, keep the English as a base. It can save you Gigs of space by removing unused languages and architectures.

There's another for the Mac called xSlimmer. Many programs include packages for the PowerPC and the Intel. It removes the one you don't need, languages you don't need, and the pieces of applications you don't need for your system. It backs it up just in case.

If you're using CAT CDMA - it looks like the Novatel MC 727 is natively supported by Snow Leopard. When the disk mounts, just eject it, and SL should recognize the WWAN card and install it.

The same is unfortunately not true for the CCU-680 - that still needs drivers :D

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2880/64/

Thanks for that info, I am using a MC727, and going to up date to SL soon, when I use the MC727 on my PC , I get a small on screen

Desktop box showing just what signal strength I am getting ...

DSC05424-1.jpg

any Ideas on how to get this signal box onto my Mac Desktop ?

Thanks

TL :)

How do you install SL?

Just stick the disc in and follow orders?

I hear it dumps a lot of powerpc stuff. Does it dump it and the regular Leopard stuff itself?

If I dumped it could I still network my Macbook to an iBook?

I guess that's three questions.....

cheers John

How do you install SL?

Just stick the disc in and follow orders?

I hear it dumps a lot of powerpc stuff. Does it dump it and the regular Leopard stuff itself?

If I dumped it could I still network my Macbook to an iBook?

I guess that's three questions.....

cheers John

Yes, stick it in and follow orders.

Not sure what you mean about dumping. Yes it removes PPC code which you don't need on an Intel system anyway. It doesn't work on PPC machines.

You can still network macs with older macs, yes...

Thanks for that info, I am using a MC727, and going to up date to SL soon, when I use the MC727 on my PC , I get a small on screen

Once again, the link: http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2880/64/

Look at the pictures - it seems to include a signal strength indicator right in the menu bar, similar to the one for WiFi. The popdown menu has a signal strength number too.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, the link: http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2880/64/

Look at the pictures - it seems to include a signal strength indicator right in the menu bar, similar to the one for WiFi. The popdown menu has a signal strength number too.

Thanks, for that , I will have a look after ive installed SL

Thanks

TL

Well ive just got my copy of Snow Leopard, and I am trying to pre-empt any problems I may have with my CAT MC727 USB modem,

just to be on the safe side, Ive recorded and printed out all the current settings in System Preferences ( networks ) that show the MC727 set up

but one setting I can't see is the password, as shown below. This password was entered by the CAT engineer who originally set up

the MC727 on my iMac , Does any one know if some where within OS X, this password would be stored and I could see what it is,

Picturede442.jpg

Thanks

TL

Well ive just got my copy of Snow Leopard, and I am trying to pre-empt any problems I may have with my CAT MC727 USB modem,

just to be on the safe side, Ive recorded and printed out all the current settings in System Preferences ( networks ) that show the MC727 set up

but one setting I can't see is the password, as shown below. This password was entered by the CAT engineer who originally set up

the MC727 on my iMac , Does any one know if some where within OS X, this password would be stored and I could see what it is,

Picturede442.jpg

Thanks

TL

I suppose there is a chance it could be located in your keychain. If so you can click the "i" for info at the bottom of the keychain access page. Then mark the box for password. It should then ask for your administrative password for the computer. If all goes well the password you are looking for should show up in the previously blank space. Hope that makes sense.

Picturede442.jpg

Thanks

TL

I suppose there is a chance it could be located in your keychain. If so you can click the "i" for info at the bottom of the keychain access page. Then mark the box for password. It should then ask for your administrative password for the computer. If all goes well the password you are looking for should show up in the previously blank space. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for that its appreciated , yes the password was there. I learn some thing new all the time.

Thanks

Picturede442.jpg

Thanks

TL

Thanks for that its appreciated , yes the password was there. I learn some thing new all the time.

Thanks

The Password is CDMACAT, to save anyone else figuring out how to get into the keychain... At least that what I taped on the Imac when, I installed the MC 727. I find that signal strength window a pain on the PC. It tells me on the top of the Mac window, it is running... and it automatically connects when I turn on the Mac, I like that! :D

Thanks

TL

Thanks

The Password is CDMACAT, to save anyone else figuring out how to get into the keychain... At least that what I taped on the Imac when, I installed the MC 727. I find that signal strength window a pain on the PC. It tells me on the top of the Mac window, it is running... and it automatically connects when I turn on the Mac, I like that! :D

My experience is that the login details are not used at all. I guess they authenticate by checking the serial number of the USB-modem, in my case a Novatel MC727.

I can type anything in my login details and it still connects. :D