Top Posters In This Topic

My (very personal) ranking:

1-Isuzu MU7

2-Ford Everest

3-Toyota Fortuner

4-Mitsubishi Pajero

5-Honda CRV

6-Ford Escape

......I'm just about with you on this one, though the competition makes this a tight contest.

Overall - Isuzu MU-7 Wins:

Eng longevity!! - chain driven

Widely available support

Best(?) Interior/3rd row seat comfort

10 Sprkr + Subwoofer

Ford Everest:

18" wheels

4 wheel Disc brakes

More seat configuration options (The best!)

Mitsubishi Pajero:

Styling (The best!)

3.2 - 200 HP engine (Track record?)

Toyota Fortuner:

Full-time 4x4 (C'mon, we're in LOS....not the Alps!)

Belt driven

Edited by thailoht

Not that I think any of them represent any milestones in motoring history, I would choose completely the inverse to the above,

I presume when you say "belt driven and chain driven" you are referring to the cam drive - really not an issue these days.......the Isuzu engines get incredibly rattly/noisy after a short time, the Mitsu engine has been in several models over the past 2 decades, the track record is fine, the styling of all of them is ugly to butt ugly.

the toyota's "full time" 4wd drive is not just for the alps and on Thailand's appallingly variable roads is an important safety feature - as well as traction it also has ground clearance and entry and exit angles that are much better than the Everest or Isuzu.

As for handling and performance it is generally regarded a the Toyota is the best too - although I would guess the Mitsu is as good if not better in some respects.

Does the Mitsu not have a 4wd system that transfers power to the wheels that need it???? that would put it way ahead of the others......

the quality, both body and mechanical of theToyota is better, and the resale values and sale-ability are much higher too.

quite frankly I wonder how Ford and Isuzu mange to sell any vehicles at all such is the difference between them and the Toyota and Mitsu.

Edited by Sherlocke

Not that I think any of them represent any milestones in motoring history, I would choose completely the inverse to the above,

I presume when you say "belt driven and chain driven" you are referring to the cam drive - really not an issue these days.......the Isuzu engines get incredibly rattly/noisy after a short time, the Mitsu engine has been in several models over the past 2 decades, the track record is fine, the styling of all of them is ugly to butt ugly.

the toyota's "full time" 4wd drive is not just for the alps and on Thailand's appallingly variable roads is an important safety feature - as well as traction it also has ground clearance and entry and exit angles that are much better than the Everest or Isuzu.

As for handling and performance it is generally regarded a the Toyota is the best too - although I would guess the Mitsu is as good if not better in some respects.

Does the Mitsu not have a 4wd system that transfers power to the wheels that need it???? that would put it way ahead of the others......

the quality, both body and mechanical of theToyota is better, and the resale values and sale-ability are much higher too.

quite frankly I wonder how Ford and Isuzu mange to sell any vehicles at all such is the difference between them and the Toyota and Mitsu.

I know someone will say I am a Toyota fan again, but Fortuner with fulltime 4wd, traction control/stabilityprogram handles better than any of the other LOS made SUVs on frame. It is also best offroad with short wheelbase (2,75) short rearend, and larger wheels. And the tractioncontrol is great offroad too.

I presume when you say "belt driven and chain driven" you are referring to the cam drive - really not an issue these days.......the Isuzu engines get incredibly rattly/noisy after a short time,

.....Maybe so, for now, but what about further down the road when it's 12 years old with 325,000 kilometers? I look for the longevity characteristics.

The Mitsu engine has been in several models over the past 2 decades, the track record is fine, the styling of all of them is ugly to butt ugly.

....Not!! I thought the same, too, until I saw the 2009 model in one2one(dot)com! Check it out. I have owned 3 Mitsu cars (gas engines) and each was an excellent performer....I have not been previously aware of their 3.2 diesel.

The Toyota's "full time" 4wd drive is not just for the alps and on Thailand's appallingly variable roads is an important safety feature - as well as traction it also has ground clearance and entry and exit angles that are much better than the Everest or Isuzu.

I consider myself to be a SUV man through-and-through, owning at least one ever since 1993 (and I'm still driving that 1st Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0). Here in LOS, I had settled on the Isuzu MU-7 after ruling out the Fortuner, CR-V and Captiva, but the additional features of the other SUV's brought out in these forums have shown me how close the SUV field really is. If the 2010 MU-7 model has 4 wheel disc brakes, I'll buy that, otherwise, it is the 2009 Activo Platinum model for me....does it come in Burnt Colorado Metallic Flake Red? :)

Maybe it's a matter of personal taste and driving circumstances but I prefer to be able to choose when to engage the 4x4 mode. When on those perfectly good highway/city roads and when it's not raining, I prefer to use RWD(2 wheel drive) mode which increases the fuel economy and is less stressful on the tires.

But when driving on those appallingly variable roads then by all means kick in the 4x4 mode.

I fault the Isuzu MU-7 for having rear drum brakes instead of 4 wheel ABS discs and 16" wheels instead of 18" (or >) sized wheels. I don't care about leaf springs vs coils....

My main interest is in longevity, I buy new and plan to keep it until it dies. :D Also, the Isuzu diesel eng track record speaks for itself - chain vs belt is an additional advantage to longevity. It's audio system rivals that of the BMW, IMHO, and it's interior space and comfort is class leading!(?) Though I do like the Everest seat option configurations - it has less power, less overall service support throughout LOS and isn't quite up to style exterior/interior as the MU-7.

The 2009 Pajero would be my choice, hands down, for exterior styling, with Captiva a close 2nd followed by the Fortuner.

The Fortuner has everything else that the MU-7 doesn't have but it's interior appointments don't stand up to those in the MU-7 and its being belt driven are it's main negatives, IMHO, plus its full time 4x4 mode meaning full time less fuel economy, too.

I recently arranged a test drive of the ford everest and the Isuzu MU7. In my opinion the Ford was much better built, and has a smoother and quieter ride. The Ford handled better off road. The interior of the Everest is more comfortable while the MU7 has a better sound system. I tested the 2.5L diesel ford against the 3.0 L MU7. The MU7 had slightly more power but I am assuming that the 3.0 L ford will have better performance as well. I am waiting for my new everest to arrive!

Just bought the FORD Everest, all options possible including DVD player for rear passengers, GPS etc... just under 1.2 Mio. but I got the automatic, I don't want to bother with gears.

Quite happy with it, delivery in gold color out of stock, another color 6 weeks.

Flemmie,

What is your opinion of the GPS built into the Everest? I recently bought a garmin and love it but am wondering how the built in GPS in the ford compares.

post-42643-1253664702_thumb.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero

So yes agree the new one is ugly'....the styling of all of them is ugly to butt ugly.' Looks like a Triton that took to many pills...

Why did they not keep it as the NEW G-Wagon ?

Then there is the 'OUTLANDER' this looks the same but a lot better ?

post-42643-1253665858_thumb.jpg

THe above Pajero is a different vehicle.

THat f/t 4wd uses more fuel is largely a myth aa is tyre wear - in fact with traction control it can make the drive more efficient and even out tyre wear.

as for but ugly - I won'tgo into a long explanation of proportion and semiotics but YES - butt ugly - I think the Mitsu is slightly less ugly than the Fortuner. THe end result is you have to decide which of the ugly sisters you want to ride! - No Cinderellas here unless the Navara SUV arrives.

THe above Pajero is a different vehicle.

THat f/t 4wd uses more fuel is largely a myth aa is tyre wear - in fact with traction control it can make the drive more efficient and even out tyre wear.

as for but ugly - I won'tgo into a long explanation of proportion and semiotics but YES - butt ugly - I think the Mitsu is slightly less ugly than the Fortuner. THe end result is you have to decide which of the ugly sisters you want to ride! - No Cinderellas here unless the Navara SUV arrives.

In 2005 and 2006 I had Fortuner 4x4 V 3,0D4d auto and Vigo G same spec at the same time.

Both covered 40k km, and Fortuner with its fulltime4wd needs 10% more fuel.

Vigo wears out tyres more quickly, cause rear tyres drift too easy with leafspring and limited slip diff.

Is that with or without the air---who did that test??

although I don't believe the 4WD is permanent is it? they just call it F/T??

True, Fortuner also needs more fuel to cool larger cabin/more glass with the rear aircon. But most of the extra fuel is for the fulltime4wd. Fortuner is also marginally slower due to the 4x4-friction and increased weight over Vigo.

Fortuner 4x4 is absolutely full time, can not be disconnected and no viscoclutch. Just like Range Rover. Great system, great traction on and off road and who cares about marginal increase in fuel cost. My Range Rover needed double the fuel of Fortuner. My Dodge Durango 5,9 too.

True, Fortuner also needs more fuel to cool larger cabin/more glass with the rear aircon. But most of the extra fuel is for the fulltime4wd. Fortuner is also marginally slower due to the 4x4-friction and increased weight over Vigo.

Fortuner 4x4 is absolutely full time, can not be disconnected and no viscoclutch. Just like Range Rover. Great system, great traction on and off road and who cares about marginal increase in fuel cost. My Range Rover needed double the fuel of Fortuner. My Dodge Durango 5,9 too.

i'd like to examine the conditions and findings of that test......

i'd like to examine the conditions and findings of that test......

As I said, I was the owner of these 2 trucks. I check every tank of fuel against km covered. Average for 40k km was 10% more for Fortuner. Driving around Phuket, the jungle in Surat Tani or high speed (140-160km/h) highway.

Fortuner also has less range due to smaller (65litre) fueltank, but still enough for +450 km highway at high speed

I recently arranged a test drive of the ford Everest and the Isuzu MU7. In my opinion the Ford was much better built, and has a smoother and quieter ride. The Ford handled better off road. The interior of the Everest is more comfortable while the MU7 has a better sound system. I tested the 2.5L diesel ford against the 3.0 L MU7. The MU7 had slightly more power but I am assuming that the 3.0 L ford will have better performance as well. I am waiting for my new Everest to arrive!

....I miss-typed earlier: The Everest has rear drum brakes, too! :) The Everest has that Ford-famous 'Power Assisted Ball & Nut' steering system that produces what I term as a soft, "floaty-like" ride. I prefer Rack and Pinion. Still, I'm going to test drive a 3.0L, too, and compare its ride and interior comfort first hand. In the meantime, I'll be renting a Fortuner diesel for 25 days - only because I can't find any MU-7s to rent.

Flemmie,

What is your opinion of the GPS built into the Everest? I recently bought a Garmin and love it but am wondering how the built in GPS in the ford compares.

That's a good question, I was wondering the same thing (but about the GPS built into the MU-7) because I just bought a Garmin, too. Which model do you have, do you know how to install maps?

I recently arranged a test drive of the ford Everest and the Isuzu MU7. In my opinion the Ford was much better built, and has a smoother and quieter ride. The Ford handled better off road. The interior of the Everest is more comfortable while the MU7 has a better sound system. I tested the 2.5L diesel ford against the 3.0 L MU7. The MU7 had slightly more power but I am assuming that the 3.0 L ford will have better performance as well. I am waiting for my new Everest to arrive!

....I miss-typed earlier: The Everest has rear drum brakes, too! :) The Everest has that Ford-famous 'Power Assisted Ball & Nut' steering system that produces what I term as a soft, "floaty-like" ride. I prefer Rack and Pinion. Still, I'm going to test drive a 3.0L, too, and compare its ride and interior comfort first hand. In the meantime, I'll be renting a Fortuner diesel for 25 days - only because I can't find any MU-7s to rent.

Flemmie,

What is your opinion of the GPS built into the Everest? I recently bought a Garmin and love it but am wondering how the built in GPS in the ford compares.

That's a good question, I was wondering the same thing (but about the GPS built into the MU-7) because I just bought a Garmin, too. Which model do you have, do you know how to install maps?

I have the Nuvi255W, which I am amazed I drove in Thailand for so long without. This is the coolest thing since sliced bread. I'll PM you about installing maps.

I have the Nuvi255W, which I am amazed I drove in Thailand for so long without. This is the coolest thing since sliced bread. I'll PM you about installing maps.

......I appreciate it! I'm looking forward to getting the hang of this Nuvi (GPS) to use in the rental Fortuner. Will you post pics and your initial assessments of your Everest when you pick it up? What model and color is it?

Edited by thailoht

I recently arranged a test drive of the ford everest and the Isuzu MU7. In my opinion the Ford was much better built, and has a smoother and quieter ride. The Ford handled better off road. The interior of the Everest is more comfortable while the MU7 has a better sound system. I tested the 2.5L diesel ford against the 3.0 L MU7. The MU7 had slightly more power but I am assuming that the 3.0 L ford will have better performance as well. I am waiting for my new everest to arrive!

.....Does anyone know if the Everest is a spin-off of Ford's (USA model) Explorer?