Off The Beaten Track

donna

I'd like to know about places off the well beaten tourist trail and am having a hard time of it because most things on the web and in the guidebooks sound pretty touristy. Does anyone know of places to visit in Thailand that are a little quirky, perhaps, or just not overflowing with tourists?

For that matter, if anyone has any ideas of little known places that are really interesting to visit, could you either post here or PM me with the info? I am trying to put a trip together for some friends that will take them to some really out of the way places that will take them all over Thailand.

I would like to send them to Chachoengsao and Prachinburi too, so if anyone has anything to tell me about these places I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I'd be interested in knowing more off beaten track destinations myself Donna. If you know of any yourself then let me know.

There's a nice temple covered in bottles in Narathiwat appropiately named 'Wat Khuat'. There is another temple named 'Wat Lan Kuat' (temple of a million bottles) in Khun Han district of Si Saket. I never managed to find that one though.

There's the communist tunnels not too far away from the Sadao border crossing. These are much better than the ones near Betong (Yala) in my opinion.

Plus the following as posted in another topic:

One of my favourite places in 'Kan' is riding to Pilok on the Burmese border.

When you reach Thong Pha Phum there'll be a turning for Sangkhlaburi and 3PP.

Carry on through Thong Pha Phum and travel past Khao Laem Dam. Staying on that road will take you through some nice scenery. Limestone karsts on one side and Khao Laem reservoir on the right.

Continue passed the resrvoir and the main road and you'll eventually come to a t-junction. There'll be signposts so turn left for Pilok.

You'll then start ascending a mountain on a narrow paved road with spectacular jungle views, especially when you reach top. From there you'll get a nice view of Khao Laem lake depending on weather conditions.

Carry on for about another 15 kms and you'll arrive at Pilok. Carry on through for a few more kms and you'll arrive at a rustic little village named Ban I-Thong. Stay on the road until you reach a checkpoint. You'll be asked for ID that you leave with the guard and then continue on for about 500m.

Park your car at the base of a small hill on top of which the Thai and Burmese flags fly side by side. You are actually in no-mans land. From top of the hill you can see over the village on one side and the Burmese forests on the other. It's said that on a good day you can see the Andaman Sea.

This area is where the Burmese oil enters Thailand and then gets pumped down to Ratchaburi. There was a lot of protesting about it some years ago because the Thai government kept quiet about it. You can also see the pumping stations on both sides of the border.

In a nearby neighbouring village lives an old French woman who's husband died in the wolfram mines and is supposed to be very knowledgable about the area.

The only place I've seen for staying at in this area is Thong Pha Phum NP where they have tree houses.

Another favourite area of mine is Sisawat. Continue on the main road passed the turning for Erawan WFalls and travel alongside Si Nakharin reservoir. Some nice scenery at any time of the year. From Sisawat you can continue along the main road until it becomes a dirt road and starts climbing up a mountain. From the top of here you get a lovely view overlooking the reservoir. One of my favourite views. Continue on down and travel through some Karenni villages and arrive in the Nong Prue area.

The narrow dirt road lasts for 31kms and could be done in a saloon car but you need to be a little adventurous to tackle it.

Go up to Uorn Thani,not full of tourists.Then get a Tuk Tuk to a large village called NONG SAENG .Its about a 500 baht tuk tuk ride.Large village,monastry ,market stalls etc,some kids stare at you and touch your hair,some people never seen farang.

Chachangsao province I've only ridden through. Prachinburi town should be ok for a visitor to see what a typical market is like. Don't forget Khao Yai NP, but go on a weekday when it's very quiet. Maybe getting there via Wang Muang WF and little paved backroads cutting through some villages.