Thailand Is Deadliest Holiday Destination For Britons

george

I am an American Guy, I have lived in Thailand 5 years, Brittan 6 months, Spain a month and France a month, the British behavior while on holiday is outrageous. I fully understand the Spanish Government arresting them repeatedly, if not in bulk and deporting them, Drunk and fighting every night in the pubs, France too. There were bars in France where I couldn't get a drink until I showed my passport to prove I was not British. Thailand is a little further, we can hope only the somewhat more responsible Britts get that far from home, that they might not still be somewhat special, I have no doubt. Behave yourselves! English speakers around the world suffer the consequences of what U do on Holiday! :)

Funny that as I see most Yanks drunk and fighting in Thailand as they also get <deleted> drunk and "riped off" then drive the wrong side of the road in Thailand.

I have been in Thailand 8 years and you only have to drive around Bangkok or Pattaya to know what you are up against.

My advice is to not rent or drive a motorcycle's but that's up to the Individual.

Most drunken idiots take cheap holiday flights to Spain and there islands and let off steam.

Most Brits that come to Thailand are more sincere and aged. I for one am in that catagory and clearly want a relaxing life without people like you who clearly are full of "Bullshit"

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just take a look at British Farang at Songkran

In Thailand they feel there are no laws meant for them and go beserk

So maybe its not that Thailand is so bad

But that British tourist do not know how to control them selves

so the heading should be

BRITISH TOURIST THE WORST IN THAILAND

True: I had myself a resort during 9 years. I live in Thailand since 17 years.

I can confirm to have had the must troubles with British guests:

1. Disturbing others while drunk

2. Needed first aid after drunk-driving a motorbike !!

It is their attitude: Feeling "superior" to any situation.

The Scandinavian are the top-drinkers during holidays BUT they always are quiet and POLITE. They don't touch a bike.

So there is absolutely nothing to complain about Thailand BUT the behavior of some first time tourists misunderstanding the mentality and culture of the host. Thinking that the Land of "may pen ray" means "I can do what I want".

Pesche

I would agree with most things said here, if 'British' was removed.

Tourists from most countries come to have a ball. Drink, sex, drugs, ride a bike, etc.

In Britain they have more constraints imposed than in many other countries.

Plus their disgusting superiority complex. Can say the same about 'Yankies'.

Altogether, there are decent people and trash. Trash tends to gravitate to cheap places. :)

Agreed.

There was a programme on the TV here last week that clearly shows the British out of control on drink and drugs while abroad. They don't represent the majority of British people and are a disgrace to their country. They should stay in the gutter where they often are after a night on the rip.

Spain, France, Estonia, Latvia, Czech, Ireland has had enough of them

Dublin has refused to take any more stags from the UK.

it was on tv? must be true :)

i've never seen any irish or americans 'out of control on drink and drugs' in thailand :D:D

Clarify...TV....the box/telly/tv.

Irish?? Americans?? No way Jose...nowhere as near as bad as the English abroad. Seen the Millwall v West Ham match last night?? They don't need to go abroad.

The 1 single time we had trouble at a match ...ever....was when we played England. What happened?...those fine representatives caused a full on riot.

As stated..these scumbags are not truly representative of the majority of English people.

Just back yesterday after a spin (3,600 kms...9 days) through Wales...UK...and La belle France on my motorbike with my young squeeze ....and everyone could not have been more pleasant or helpful.

As stated ..keep these scum in the gutter where they belong and leave us to get on and enjoy ourselves.

no, you irish abroad are all perfect. sorry.

i'll try and forget all the things i have seen when i have travelled to the four corners of the globe.

I am not saying the british are perfect and we don't have our a**holes, but the brit bashing from the high horses ridden by other westerners in this thread is ridiculous. If you want to see irish people behaving like idiots abroad try pattaya or koh pha ngan, or closer to home the irish groups drinking in latvia, estonia or the czech republic. Every bit as popular with the locals as we english.

please try to keep your prejudices under control, i for one find it pretty offensive.

Predujices??? run that one past me again?? Show me where I am predujiced.....ah yes. Silly me, I see it now.

Previous post of mine...which you clearly have been blind to.....

Wales...UK...and La belle France on my motorbike with my young squeeze ....and everyone could not have been more pleasant or helpful.

and

They don't represent the majority of British people and are a disgrace to their country

Maybe you will let me know what is predujice abiout facing the truth.

To compare the Irish to the out of control unrepresentative British lout is not facing reality. The Irish are lambs compared to the behaviour of these thugs this post is about.

I am an American Guy, I have lived in Thailand 5 years, Brittan 6 months, Spain a month and France a month, the British behavior while on holiday is outrageous. I fully understand the Spanish Government arresting them repeatedly, if not in bulk and deporting them, Drunk and fighting every night in the pubs, France too. There were bars in France where I couldn't get a drink until I showed my passport to prove I was not British. Thailand is a little further, we can hope only the somewhat more responsible Britts get that far from home, that they might not still be somewhat special, I have no doubt. Behave yourselves! English speakers around the world suffer the consequences of what U do on Holiday! :)

Agreed.

There was a programme on the TV here last week that clearly shows the British out of control on drink and drugs while abroad. They don't represent the majority of British people and are a disgrace to their country. They should stay in the gutter where they often are after a night on the rip.

Spain, France, Estonia, Latvia, Czech, Ireland has had enough of them

Dublin has refused to take any more stags from the UK.

I saw it on TV. Ergo it is true.

One of those fly on the wall things.

Real live film...maybe spiced up for the punters....and interviews with the police/hospitals/hotyels/bar owners/etc.

So, yep. I have no problem believing it.

I'm English myself but when I'm abroad I generally try to stay away from other British. You can spot them from miles away with their superior attitude. The younger Brits have taken Spain to Thailand where they think it's just one big Spanish type holiday piss up where you can do and say whatever you like. They know nothing about the people or the culture and have no respect for either. I saw the same thing, rather surprisingly, in a bar in China where a load of Brits who were working on a contract somewhere were on the tables dancing and even exposing themselves. I was ashamed. When I was there (in China) we all knew the culture and made it our business to know what was going on and what was approproate. The same applies to Thailand. Before I went the very first time I read about the country and behaved accoordingly.

God I hate the English.

I would be interested to know how many of these accidents, deaths and incarceration are related to alcohol.

Scott, good question. I don't know about in reference to particular nationalities (the relation with alcohol) visiting Thailand or residing here; but I have read some stats on previous studies among the general population. These were supposedly randomized cases where data was documented at the hospital, including blood-alcohol test results. The few studies I have read place showed somewhere between 70-80% alcohol-related (total accidents, fatal and non-fatal).

One study (I forget the title, but wish I had it for referencing you to see) was particularly impressive. It found a 12.6-fold difference in fatality between subjects wearing helmets versus those not wearing helmets. This was a very large study spanning 1 year's time, with around 5,000 accident cases involving motorcycle accidents in Thailand nationwide (I believe it was data from the year 2005). The results were somewhere along the order of the following...

Percentage of deaths due to motorcycle accidents (in which contact to the head occurred) and helmet was worn: % 7

Percentage of deaths due to motorcycle accidents (in which contact to the head occurred) and helmet was not worn: % 88

Most common cause of death among accident subjects (both groups): Subdural Hematoma (Acute) (Acute brain injury)

THANKS FOR THE WARNING

I'VE CHANGED MY TRAVEL PLANS FOR NEXT MONTH

AFGHANISTAN HERE I COME

On your keyboard, to the left of the A key is Caps Lock key, turn that off. Learn to type normally.

Stop being so PEDANTIC, what's the difference if he types CAPITALS OR small case, we are NOT on here for a school lesson from YOU or anyone else, stick to the subject or maybe you enjoy upsetting people.

ATTENTION PLEASE!

It is incomprehensible that The Times - UK published an article in their travel section, based on old facts; the facts of 2007 instead of 2008/2009.

Unfortunately the OP article in this forum is also based upon those old and therefore incorrect facts.

Here is a copy of the original thread* in the Thailand Travel Forum, posted earlier this morning, based upon the real facts as published by the FCO - Foreign & Commonwealth Office's website, as of August 25, 2009:

Britons continue to get into trouble abroad

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/newsroom/latest-n...amp;id=20749754 :

We have released the latest annual British Behaviour Abroad report that reveals Britons are continuing to get into trouble abroad, with key concerns including drink and drug related cases.

- FCO BRITISH BEHAVIOUR ABROAD REPORT -

Top 20 countries where British nationals required the most consular assistance from 01 April 2008 - 31 March 2009

http://www.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/305...d-report-240809 complete statistics 01 April 2008/31 March2009

Some excerpts:

* 812,000 British nationals visited Thailand in 2008 (Source: Tourism Authority of Thailand).

* 54 drug arrests

* 202 total arrest/detention

* 288 total death

* 198 hospitalisation

* 3 rape

* 774 lost/stolen passports

* http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Britons-Cont...le-t292586.html

LaoPo

Many Britons create problems in this country. Many of them have drinking problem like some messages mentioned. They drink all day. I had one Briton used my tenant house and refuse to leave. The tenant ask for help from me. We have to report to the police to force him out of the house. We don't need this kind of people here. He even try to threat me. Finally he left the house. I don't understand why they are always talk about bad things in Thailand but they still want to leave here. Naggy

Thailand is deadliest holiday destination for Britons

British tourists are more likely to be killed in Thailand than any other destination, according to new figures released today.

Motorbike accidents are the main reason why 269 Britons died there last year, according to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).

The figures mean that Thailand has the highest rate of deaths in proportion to the number of British tourists of any country worldwide. In the year to March, an estimated 860,000 British tourists visited Thailand.

This figure also makes Thailand the country where, proportionately, British tourists are most likely to end up in hospital, according to the organisation’s British Behaviour Abroad report, released today.

The majority of 324 reported hospitalisations in Thailand were due to motorbike accidents, says the FCO, and a high proportion are fatal.

The figures for the report are based on incidents reported to British consulates abroad, so actual numbers could be higher.

On the dangers of visiting Thailand, the organisation says: “Many of the hospitalisations in Thailand are the result of motorbike accidents – particularly in the southern islands.

“Thailand has one of the world’s highest road traffic accident rates, almost all of which involve motorbikes.”

The Thai law that states safety helmets must be worn is widely ignored according to the FCO, which contributes to the high number of deaths each year. On average 38 people a day die in motorcycle accidents in Thailand.

The organisation also warns: “You should never hand over your passport as a guarantee against returning a motor scooter or cycle. Unscrupulous owners have been known to hold on to passports against claimed damage to the motor scooter or cycle.”

Further to that, some vehicles are not road worthy. The FCO says that many of the motorcycles and scooters that are available for hire in beach resorts are unregistered and cannot legally be driven on a public road. This could invalidate any travel insurance policy should the driver wish to make a claim.

On the subject of travel insurance, the report found that financial pressures are causing many British holidaymakers to forgo travel insurance in a bid to save money.

Foreign Office Minister, Chris Bryant, said: “Getting comprehensive travel insurance means that whilst an accident may disrupt your holiday, it won’t bankrupt you in extortionate medical or repatriation bills.”

Other trouble hotspots revealed by the report include Spain, where 2,032 Britons were arrested last year. This is higher than any other country, although as a proportion of visitor numbers, the highest number of arrests was in the UAE followed by Thailand.

The majority of arrests are drug-related, with one in seven relating to illegal substances. This is particularly so in Thailand – were a quarter of arrests were due to drugs. The UAE also has a low tolerance of drugs – according to the FCO, many Britons arrested in the UAE are transit passengers, who fall foul of the country’s strict drug laws, which prohibit some prescription drugs that are legal in the UK.

Among the notable cases is that of Tracy Wilkinson, 45, from West Sussex, who was arrested at Dubai airport in 2005 for possession of codeine, which she had been taking for chronic back pain.

Arrests are also due to "bad behaviour". The UAE has a low tolerance of anti-Islamic behaviour and behaviour that is regarded as disrespectful towards UAE officials.

The FCO advises Britons heading to unfamiliar countries to familiarise themselves with local laws and customs before heading abroad.

-- timesonline.co.uk 2009-08-26

800,000+ british tourist each year... thats amazing!

Thats like 1 in 50 people in the UK go to Thailand every year!!

I'm a Brit living in Thailand and I have to say I agree with the comments above. Too many Brits come here and use the country like a playground wherer anything goes.

I have been coming to Thailand for many years and have recently noticed some Thais becoming a little tired of farangs in their country. I don't blame them, I'm tired of some farangs being here and I'm a farang!!

That is so true

http://www.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/305...d-report-240809 complete statistics 01 April 2008/31 March2009

Thanks for that Lao......very good reading.

Seems like we get a higher quality tourist here in Ireland.... 3.6 million as against .8 m for Thailand and a fraction of the trouble. Long may it continue.

See? Confirms my previous posts that the rubbish getting drunk/boozed/sexed up/drugged abroad do NOT represent the true British tourist....so anyone banging on about me being prejudice, have a read.

O boy.....FCO figures.....

As a proportion of the number of visitors, Britons were most likely to be arrested for drug offences in Thailand,

As a proportion of the number of visitors, Britons were most likely to be hospitalised in Thailand,

As a proportion of visitors British deaths are most likely to occur in Thailand

As a proportion of the number of visitors, Britons were most likely to be arrested in the United Arab Emirates, followed by Thailand

Edited by harleyclarkey

Kohn Ferang its good to see you are very well travelled, and also where in Briton did you live? Since you are an American you will know that the United Kindom of Great Brition is made up of 4 countrys,England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Do you even know what country out of the UK it is notorious for causing the trouble? So dont go spouting your mouth off about other countrys you know nothing about, I am from the UK and know full well which country it is that causes trouble abroad and its only a minority that does it. The yanks are not exactly perfect are they.

8 pages of Brit bashing, most of it by the Brits themselves. The cheeky sados.

I wonder how many pages would be spent on slagging of Americans, an Arab nation or any other countiries for that matter.

I must say one thing about us brits, we don't mind taking the piss out of ourselves.

Well done chaps.

There is nothing better than learning from each other, Farangs in LOS. It is evident of the voices (with exceptions of course), some with emotions and rationale to solidify. This opens up the awareness so the place is good for everyone.

LET go of any hard feelings for it is a small price to pay to be more cautious.

Cheers!

A lot of negative comments here regarding British behaviour, as though that is solely responsible for the high incidence of tragic motorcylcle deaths in Thailand.

Well, I have lived in Thailand since 1997, and although I have seen drunken and dangerous driving I would like to suggest some additional reasons for these serious motorcycle injuries:

1). Motorcycle rentals in Thailand are unlicensed and unregulated. Most do not even operate from an office but from the pavement and pay a monthly "rent" to the police.

2). Motorcycle rentals in Thailand buy used and often crashed motorcycles from overseas in a stripped-down state. They imported as "spare parts" - to reduce inport duty - and re-assembed on arrival. They cannot be registered without payment of the correct dutes, thus they are not legally registered. You may see a registration sticker on the bike, but this was "paid for" and is not authentic. You may pay for insurance, but there will never be a pay-back in case of accident due to this lack of registration.

3). Many of these re-assembled bikes have bent-frames, or are just not assembled correctly. Thus they do not handle properly, and in wet weather or high-speed manoevure they handle unpredictably resulting in loss of control. Additionally, after an accident in Thailand they are not repaired correctly, but simply touched-up and re-rented.

4). You may or may not be licensed to ride a motorcycle in your home country, or you may be licensed to ride a bike up to a 250cc bike. Motorcyle rentals in Thailand are supposed to check and require a correct license, but many times you will be able to rent a bike of any size without showing any license.

5). Motorcycle helments are required in Thailand - but for the driver only. Thus although some riders may wear a helmet, the pillion passenger is usually not. It is common to see three or more on a bike, with only the driver wearing a helmet.

6). Although helmets are required, it is not considered necessary to require the strap to be fastened. Thus in an accident the helmet goes flying and offers zero protection.

7). Helments are avilable for around 500 Baht, or less than £10. They are made of plastic, and are not rated by any crash protection agency. The offer minimal protection and are worse than nothing in many cases as they offer a false sense of security. Good quality helmets are not available.

I offer these facts in the hope that readers will have a fuller undestanding of this issue. I in no way condone excessive regulation and the "nanny-state" that England has become, people should be responsible for their own actions. However, I also do not condone weak and corrupt regulation that fail to offer basic protection to the people from thier own stupidity.

Shall we talk about jet-skis now?

Kohn Ferang its good to see you are very well travelled, and also where in Briton did you live? Since you are an American you will know that the United Kindom of Great Brition is made up of 4 countrys,England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Do you even know what country out of the UK it is notorious for causing the trouble? So dont go spouting your mouth off about other countrys you know nothing about, I am from the UK and know full well which country it is that causes trouble abroad and its only a minority that does it. The yanks are not exactly perfect are they.

I hate to be pedantic, but there is no such thing as the "United Kingdom of Great Britain".

Great Britain has 3 countries, not 4. "The united Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland" does consist of four countries however.

British behavior.....I wonder if there is some kind of trend here concerning Brits. hmmmm

Nope - has been the norm - nationality irrelevant - in each of the 25-plus countries that I have lived and libated in....

Brits are no worse/better than any other, IMO.

rgdz,

Brewsta

Edited by Brewsta

800,000+ british tourist each year... thats amazing!

The 800,000 figure is probably quite a bit lower due to the British visa runners, people who go on holiday 2 or more times per year and tourists who cross neighbouring countries and enter Thailand 2 or more times.

The border/entry authorities quote every entrance as 1 extra tourist.... :)

LaoPo

I would be interested to know how many of these accidents, deaths and incarceration are related to alcohol.

I agree that stupid drunks cause big problems for everyone but the bar owners also have a responsibility not to sell alcohol to drunks. Instead they sell them far more cheap booze then they should and then complain of their drunken behaviour.

There is nothing better than learning from each other, Farangs in LOS. It is evident of the voices (with exceptions of course), some with emotions and rationale to solidify. This opens up the awareness so the place is good for everyone.

LET go of any hard feelings for it is a small price to pay to be more cautious.

Cheers!

Right on man

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Let's get back on topic, one person has already been sent off for over the top defamatory comments. This isn't a Brit bashing thread, it's about holiday safety.

I have to agreee the fact is that no matter what country you are from drinking and motorcycles don't mix.

Behavior young and dumb comes to mind and some of us never grow out of it. Again doesn't matter what country you come from.

Can't speak of anywhere else helmet laws are enforced six days a week in Udon. Doesn't matter if your a tourist or a Thai you get a ticket and pay a fine. What amazes me this has went on fot the seven years I have been here. They are justy as busy a the first day I came here.

I don't care how experiencerd you are as a rider. It takes time to learn to ride here. We lost a guy this year off the ride list. Rode beyond the road conditions and his abilities. Most rider have done that at omne time or another. But, Thailand traffic is very unforgiving.

Personally I'm American bashing other countries is not something I beleive in, if a guy is wrong what does it matter where is from, he is still wrong. This is my first real exposure to the international community overall it's been good.

Keep the shiney side up.

Edited by ray23

Hi my friends! I'm just about to part with the remainder of our money owing on our holiday (£5000)!! Is it worth us as BRITS coming? I get the feeling we're not very welcome. We've been twice before and loved Thailand, would we be better off just keeping it that way?

A lot of negative comments here regarding British behaviour, as though that is solely responsible for the high incidence of tragic motorcylcle deaths in Thailand.

Well, I have lived in Thailand since 1997, and although I have seen drunken and dangerous driving I would like to suggest some additional reasons for these serious motorcycle injuries:

1). Motorcycle rentals in Thailand are unlicensed and unregulated. Most do not even operate from an office but from the pavement and pay a monthly "rent" to the police.

2). Motorcycle rentals in Thailand buy used and often crashed motorcycles from overseas in a stripped-down state. They imported as "spare parts" - to reduce inport duty - and re-assembed on arrival. They cannot be registered without payment of the correct dutes, thus they are not legally registered. You may see a registration sticker on the bike, but this was "paid for" and is not authentic. You may pay for insurance, but there will never be a pay-back in case of accident due to this lack of registration.

3). Many of these re-assembled bikes have bent-frames, or are just not assembled correctly. Thus they do not handle properly, and in wet weather or high-speed manoevure they handle unpredictably resulting in loss of control. Additionally, after an accident in Thailand they are not repaired correctly, but simply touched-up and re-rented.

4). You may or may not be licensed to ride a motorcycle in your home country, or you may be licensed to ride a bike up to a 250cc bike. Motorcyle rentals in Thailand are supposed to check and require a correct license, but many times you will be able to rent a bike of any size without showing any license.

5). Motorcycle helments are required in Thailand - but for the driver only. Thus although some riders may wear a helmet, the pillion passenger is usually not. It is common to see three or more on a bike, with only the driver wearing a helmet.

6). Although helmets are required, it is not considered necessary to require the strap to be fastened. Thus in an accident the helmet goes flying and offers zero protection.

7). Helments are avilable for around 500 Baht, or less than £10. They are made of plastic, and are not rated by any crash protection agency. The offer minimal protection and are worse than nothing in many cases as they offer a false sense of security. Good quality helmets are not available.

I offer these facts in the hope that readers will have a fuller undestanding of this issue. I in no way condone excessive regulation and the "nanny-state" that England has become, people should be responsible for their own actions. However, I also do not condone weak and corrupt regulation that fail to offer basic protection to the people from thier own stupidity.

Shall we talk about jet-skis now?

totally agree SF....

PLUS, of note, my mates wife (Thai)was fined for no 'lid' as a passenger here in Chiang Mai (Muang) a coupla days ago - usual pre-payday sweep each month to supplement the BIB's income until salary clears......

hmmmm.....should check if other passengers are required to wear....thanx.

rgdz,

Brewsta

I'm a Brit living in Thailand and I have to say I agree with the comments above. Too many Brits come here and use the country like a playground wherer anything goes.

I have been coming to Thailand for many years and have recently noticed some Thais becoming a little tired of farangs in their country. I don't blame them, I'm tired of some farangs being here and I'm a farang!!

Agreed, I also am British living here in Thailand and on some occasions I have pretended not to speak English so as not to get in a conversation with people who were behaving in a manner which was completely inappropriate. I am talking 2 guys shaved heads, shorts, sleeveless shirts and flip flops, The Sun newspaper tucked under one sweaty armpit, on a bus at the airport going to the aircraft (on the way to Thailand) preaching loudly to some young students about the merits of Pattaya. These people are an embarrassment to the Country and the human race. One of them was also loudly trying persuade the other to share a taxi with him when they arrive, so as not waste his "short time money". Lucky I don't speak English!

What does that have to do with Thailand coming top of the list for being dangerous ?

I think the earlier comments were more apt - how many of the those motorcycle accidents were due to drunk driving ? How many were due to holiday makers learning to drive motorbikes ? How many of the arrests were due to drug use and drunken behaviour ? Those statistics might very well answer why Thailand features top of the list both on safety and arrests.

I for one will continue to think Thailand is very safe - but then I dont ride motorbikes drunk and loose my cool when i'm drunk. I also ride defensively. That said, I have no doubt other nations would report similar statistics for their visitors to Thailand.

Living here in Phuket, I see every nationality is let down by the few - I can see no reason why this thread should become a Brit bashing nor Thai bashing thread as so many seem determined to make it. Lets talk about jumping on the bandwagon instead !

You guys should remember the pedigree of the lumpen prolitariat Brit

He comes from a peasant stock of bellicose bullying thugs. Thats how we conquered half the world

you cant make a silk purse from a sow's ear, let alone a civilised human being from the average piece of brit cannon fodder

they are too stupid even for the british army and its desperate need for recruits for afghanistan

YET they are breeding like mongrel street dogs aka CHAVS. Its a depressing sight believe me. The police reality progs on uk tv show just how disfunctional brit society has become under Browns PC britain

So think yourself lucky if you are able live quietly in LOS, you just dont know how bad it can get elsewhere.

I am really impreesed with your comments . As for conquerers of 1/2 of the word....well I have no comments because it never happened but I'm sure that whatever parts of the word you conquered you've got the reward now. Good or not you get to keep them probabeby because you deserve it?.

I have suspected this about Thailand for years. I spent the last 4 years working in various locations around Iraq and living in Thailand for all of my off time. In those 4 years I have had 3 friends and 1 acquaintance (all in Thailand) die from things that are seldom fatal in the west. 1 friend died of a botched hernia operation causing internal infections, 1 died of a strep throat that migrated to his blood stream causing sepsis and 1 died of a heart attack because few Thais know CPR (like his wife) and ambulance service is spotty at best. The other acquaintance died of head injuries from a motorbike accident. In those same 4 years not a single one of the literally hundreds of people I worked with in Iraq died. 38-people a day in Thailand! I'd bet more Brits have died vacationing in Thailand than have died serving in the army in Afghanistan and Iraq! Yet what do Thais do to protect themselves? They sure don't like wearing helmets, and those that do often wear improper almost worthless ones. No, Thais wear surgical masks to prevent Swine flu! I actually saw two Thai guys racing down the main street in my town on a Honda Wave wearing surgical masks and no helmets. Still, when I come home there, I feel safe but the numbers speak for themselves. It's more dangerous than Iraq!