180,000 Baht To The United States

My wife's immigrant visa was recently approved and we are moving to the United States on September 9th. I just sold my Car and motorbike for 180,000 Baht and I'm wondering what's the best way to get the money back to the States. I've never transferred money from Thailand to the U.S, or vise versa before. Is it best to Wire the money from my wife's Bangkok Bank account to my Chase Bank Account in the U.S.? Or is it just as easy to bring the money into a Thai Bank and convert the Baht to Dollars and bring the Cash. It's well under the $10,000 limit, and I have no worries about carrying $5,000 (in hundreds on me). Just wondering which way will save me the most money.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

65craig

call up a few banks and ask about their exchange rates for that day.

pick your best rate for that day and exchange your baht into usd.

just exchange it the day before your departure.

split up and carry half with yourself and the other half carried by your wife,

just in case you fall in love with the charming flight attendant, your wife would still have her half.... lol

have a safe journey.

For a fee of only several hunbdred Baht, you can buy a USD cashier's check by a U.S. bank at Bank of Ayuthaya, for example. I did that a few times. It takes a few days, but the check will be from an American bank. (In my case, I needed a Hong Kong bank and they used HSBC).

Paypal's forex rates stink. But there are TCs, if you want those. You can fill them out completely, sign them twice and deposit them.

Chris