bazmlb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice pictures Baz, Thanks for posting them. Where do you get your wood? the bags look a lot larger than the ones I have seen in Hua Hin's Villa.

I get mine at Truevalue, they have the chips and the chunks, I use a couple of chunks and fill around them with the chips, this gets me about 1.5-2 hours smoke.

post-4090-1253094382_thumb.jpg

getting ready to Smoke

Do you like the mesquite for smoking?  While I love it for grilling, I find it burns too hot and fast and doesn't produce a good enough smoke to use it for smoking. I go for hickory, apple, cherry, and alder for smoking.

getting ready to Smoke

Do you like the mesquite for smoking?  While I love it for grilling, I find it burns too hot and fast and doesn't produce a good enough smoke to use it for smoking. I go for hickory, apple, cherry, and alder for smoking.

I like it, I don't burn the Wood, as you can see from the picture the bucket is sealed with heavy duty foil and only a small hole for smoke to come out is made, this way the wood smolders and doesn't burn, you can see the size of the bucket too, about as high as a Biro.

The bucket is positioned over the burner in the firebox and is heated for the wood to smolder.

I find the hickory isnt as nice and makes the meat a lot darker on the outside.

I get 90-120 min of smoke per bucket.

post-4090-1253162466_thumb.jpg

post-4090-1253162486_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm always busy in the fall smoking and curing salmon and wild game. This is a time consuming method of making what we call "salmon candy". I would imagine it could also be used for some Thai species. We cut the salmon into finger size pieces and soak them for 24 hours in a brine consisting of maple syrup, brown sugar, white cranberry juice and apple juice. The brine can be kept in the fridge for a week if you want to do multiple batches. The most time consuming part of the operation is the drying process. After taking the stips of salmon out of the brine they are hung on a steel rack by inserting a piece of wooden tooth pick into the meat. They are hung on the racks in front of a fan for about 12 hours until they are firm, but not hard. The warm (but not hot) smoking process can be done in about 4 hours.

We use commercial wood chips when we haven't cut our own from wild cherry, apple, maple and alder trees. The wood chips go into a cast iron fry pan to slowly smolder.

The strips hanging on the racks...

Salmon_candy_2.jpg

Salmon_candy_1.jpg

If you don't have too much meat you can use a small commercial smoker like this...

Smoker.jpg

Because we smoke a lot at a time we use an old, converted refrigerator.

Empty...

Empty_Smoker.jpg

filled...

Filled_Smoker.jpg

Your title could be construed by some around here in a lewd way... LOL. :)

But, yes, I have a home-built smoker, where I can cold- or hot-smoke meat.

I make my own bacon, ham, smoked sausages, salami, fish, honey-smoked turkey breast, etc.

I have even made some smoked "lop chong dong gu" (chinese mushroom sausage).

And you're right... smoking your own meat products is so much more tasty - particularly with bacon, which is what I make the most. Its kind of like the difference between Thai "choco-coating" and real chocolate. It's an entirely different league.

But curing the meat is very important so as to avoid botulism - which grows and produces toxins rapidly in an anaerobic (oxygen-deprived) environment, like in a smoker.

Your title could be construed by some around here in a lewd way... LOL. :)

But, yes, I have a home-built smoker, where I can cold- or hot-smoke meat.

I make my own bacon, ham, smoked sausages, salami, fish, honey-smoked turkey breast, etc.

I have even made some smoked "lop chong dong gu" (chinese mushroom sausage).

And you're right... smoking your own meat products is so much more tasty - particularly with bacon, which is what I make the most. Its kind of like the difference between Thai "choco-coating" and real chocolate. It's an entirely different league.

But curing the meat is very important so as to avoid botulism - which grows and produces toxins rapidly in an anaerobic (oxygen-deprived) environment, like in a smoker.

What do you use to cure your meat for smoking? Also I live in a village outside of Lat Yao , about 50 kilometers from Nakhon Sawan. I am looking for someone that sells small portions of fresh milk "either cow or goat milk" I want to start making my own butter and Mexican Queso Fresco and other cheese products. Starting small but depending on my success ,I can increase my purchases in the future.

If any one knows where it is sold, please let me know! Nakhon Sawan ,Lat Yao to Sawan Arom area.

Thanks

What do you use to cure your meat for smoking?

You can get sodium nitrite or nitrate from some of the sausage suppliers.

Failing that, salt petre is available all over Thailand at certain local talats.

It is used to make fermented sausages, most commonly, naem.

My wife used to pick up huge crystals of salt petre here in our small podunk town.

But since I found sodium nitrite, which is less toxic, I've been using that.

• 10 months later...

I just noticed this thread and for those that want some good info try:

[link removed: posting links to other forums is against forum rules]

I realize that more than likely none of you have a Big Green Egg but there are some good recipes and tips on this forum. I was fortunate enugh to ship a medium size egg in with my household goods. I am not quite the avid "egger" as in the forum since I have a high end gas grill also, but the two of them together compliment each other well.

I did a Boston Butt for some pulled pork...9 hours of slow cooking.

Here are some ribs in progreess that I did recently.

Mike

post-11231-070756800 1282701104_thumb.jp

Edited by bazmlb

I've been curing beacon for a while now, still haven't got smoke flavour but I would really love to smoke some of my bacon properly, the only problem is that my yard is quite small and it's full of the wifes plants, has anybody got a recommendation for a small home-made smoker? It'd have to take up no more than 5cm2 floor space :( I'm happy to make it myself too, I've seen some little pertable smokers but they're for sale in the US and I'm not shipping them all the way over here, any advice would be appreciated :)

EDIT: I just googled it and I found this homemade-bbq-smokers It looks the most suitable thing for my little yard, is it possible to find a hot-plate on it's own or should I ask a friend to knock one together for me? Seems a bit risky...

Edited by MaiDong

I've been curing beacon for a while now, still haven't got smoke flavour but I would really love to smoke some of my bacon properly, the only problem is that my yard is quite small and it's full of the wifes plants, has anybody got a recommendation for a small home-made smoker? It'd have to take up no more than 5cm2 floor space :( I'm happy to make it myself too, I've seen some little pertable smokers but they're for sale in the US and I'm not shipping them all the way over here, any advice would be appreciated :)

EDIT: I just googled it and I found this homemade-bbq-smokers It looks the most suitable thing for my little yard, is it possible to find a hot-plate on it's own or should I ask a friend to knock one together for me? Seems a bit risky...

That's an interesting home-made smoker setup.

Not sure that would work in Thailand... maybe... but I've tried using the local clay pots in a similar manor, and they tended to fall apart with heat.

Hotplates are ubiquitous in Thailand, seen them at Lotus and Makro as well as local mom-'n-pop electrical appliance stores.

But why not just use charcoal as the heat source?

That's an interesting home-made smoker setup.

Not sure that would work in Thailand... maybe... but I've tried using the local clay pots in a similar manor, and they tended to fall apart with heat.

Hotplates are ubiquitous in Thailand, seen them at Lotus and Makro as well as local mom-'n-pop electrical appliance stores.

But why not just use charcoal as the heat source?

I'm going to try to find the things I need today, I don't mind if the pots fall apart after each smoking as they're only cheap, I'll obviously hope they don't fall apart though.

I've seen hotplates all over but they actually need to fit into the bottom of the pot, just beneath the skillet, so this means they need to be disconnected from their base and sat in the pot, sounds dodgy doesn't it, especially here :(

I might just do as you suggest and use charcoal to heat...

These are the things I got today, the 2 pots are about 15 inches high, both pots have the same size rim so they fit together nicely, I'll look for some kind of rubber to set onto each rim to keep as much smoke in as possible.

2 pots, skillet(kind-of) & grill cost B390 all in, a friend is cutting some lamyai wood from a neighbours tree and I've got good quality coconut charcoal from foodland for about B50 a pack.

The charcoal will go in the base of the pot which still has the hole in the bottom so the charcoal won't starve of oxygen, the skillet sits about 6 inches above the base of the pot, the soaked lamyai wood will sit on this.

I was thinking of hanging my meat from hooks using the top pot hole as I think the grill will be too close to the middle of the unit(AND it is oblong, not round, although I could just cut it to size).

ChefHeat or anybody else with any ideas or opinions, what do you think? Will this be good enough?

post-78826-007322200 1282818026_thumb.jp

post-78826-092146200 1282818037_thumb.jp

post-78826-095482500 1282818043_thumb.jp

post-78826-096502600 1282818052_thumb.jp

post-78826-023236700 1282818060_thumb.jp

Yeah, I'm interested too.

I wonder if there's a business anywhere in Pattaya where they smoke your meat for you?

Whilst I haven't seen anywhere that does authentic wood smoked cooking in Pattaya, you could try soi 6?

What type of meat are you looking to smoke??

and what amount do you want smoked??

I am Mr Moo Pattaya dot. net and we do smoked meats , hams , cheeses .

let me know or stop by in next week as i leave soon and others will not be able to smoke for you.

I wonder if there's a business anywhere in Pattaya where they smoke your meat for you?

Whilst I haven't seen anywhere that does authentic wood smoked cooking in Pattaya, you could try soi 6?

let me know or stop by in next week as i leave soon and others will not be able to smoke for you.

MrMoo,

I am interested in your smoking service as well!

How much do you charge per kg please???

Gerd

Mr Moo, I know it'd be taking away your business to give away too many of your secrets but have you got any little gems of advice for a newbie smoker like myself, having seen my kit on the previous page of this thread?

Thanks in advance!

Mr Moo, I know it'd be taking away your business to give away too many of your secrets but have you got any little gems of advice for a newbie smoker like myself, having seen my kit on the previous page of this thread?

Thanks in advance!

Here's my rub and finishing sauce for ribs.

Rib Rub:

1 cup Granulated brown sugar

2 tsp white sugar

¼ tsp cayenne pepper

1 tbsp chili powder

1 tsp black pepper

2 tsp granulated garlic

1 tsp granulated onion

½ tsp nutmeg

½ tsp cinnamon

1 tsp Country Time Lemonade mix

Finishing Sauce

One small to medium Onion, chopped

1 ½ cups Ketchup

1 ½ cup Water

¼ cup Vinegar

½ tsp Salt

1 tsp Paprika

½ tsp Black Pepper

1 tsp Chili Powder

¼ cup Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp yellow mustard

I use these with pork ribs that have had the membrane removed and the breastbone removed as pictured below, you knwo they have been cooked properly when you pick the bone up and the meat falls off!

If you can maintain the temp between 220 and 250 c whilst cooking you will end up with a good product, which is why I recommend to beginners not to use charcoal and use gas instead, there is too much temperature variation with wood which gives inconsistent results.

You may hear about the smoke ring, The smoke ring is important for aesthetic reasons, but as far as flavor is concerned, it

contributes none. The smoke ring is just a chemical reaction between nitrogen dioxide and the

amino acids in the meat which produce a pink color. Nitrogen dioxide is produced when wood is

burned at temperatures exceeding 600 deg F. Note this is in the firebox and not your cooking

chamber. The smoke ring really has nothing to do with smoke at all. The smoke will impart it’s

flavor to the surface of the meat independent of the smoke ring reaction. Interestingly enough,

gas grills do produce nitrogen dioxide. Some sawdust burning smokers that combust at lower

temperatures do not produce nitrogen dioxide. Of course, ovens do not produce smoke rings, but

what kind of person would cook barbecue in an oven anyway!? Note that most people do not know

these facts and they think the smoke ring is caused by smoke and they do take that as a sign

of properly smoked meats - especially brisket.

So producing a good smoke ring is important.

post-4090-058511000 1282913769_thumb.jpg

post-4090-086366000 1282913783_thumb.jpg

post-4090-046555700 1282915417_thumb.png

Thanks in advance!

Rib Rub:

2 tsp white sugar

¼ tsp cayenne pepper

1 tbsp chili powder

1 tsp black pepper

2 tsp granulated garlic

1 tsp granulated onion

½ tsp nutmeg

½ tsp cinnamon

Finishing Sauce

1 ½ cups Ketchup

1 ½ cup Water

¼ cup Vinegar

½ tsp Salt

1 tsp Paprika

½ tsp Black Pepper

1 tsp Chili Powder

1 tsp yellow mustard

I use these with pork ribs that have had the membrane removed and the breastbone removed as pictured below, you knwo they have been cooked properly when you pick the bone up and the meat falls off!

If you can maintain the temp between 220 and 250 c whilst cooking you will end up with a good product, which is why I recommend to beginners not to use charcoal and use gas instead, there is too much temperature variation with wood which gives inconsistent results.

You may hear about the smoke ring, The smoke ring is important for aesthetic reasons, but as far as flavor is concerned, it

contributes none. The smoke ring is just a chemical reaction between nitrogen dioxide and the

amino acids in the meat which produce a pink color. Nitrogen dioxide is produced when wood is

burned at temperatures exceeding 600 deg F. Note this is in the firebox and not your cooking

chamber. The smoke ring really has nothing to do with smoke at all. The smoke will impart it’s

flavor to the surface of the meat independent of the smoke ring reaction. Interestingly enough,

gas grills do produce nitrogen dioxide. Some sawdust burning smokers that combust at lower

temperatures do not produce nitrogen dioxide. Of course, ovens do not produce smoke rings, but

what kind of person would cook barbecue in an oven anyway!? Note that most people do not know

these facts and they think the smoke ring is caused by smoke and they do take that as a sign

Sounds nice and looks delicious!

I'm currently experimenting bacon only, it's what I miss the most, I love ribs but bacon is my favourite :) I know the missus would prefer your ribs though!

I was going to use an electric hotplate inside the bottom pot of my contraption but I wasn't sure how to put it in there without risking my life so I'll have to dive in at the deep end and use charcoal for now :(

After our meeting last week i would have to charge you a lot ....ha ha

i do a little smoking for friends and thought i could help if amounts are small and i can put in with other items i am doing....

what do you charge ????

MrMoo,

I am interested in your smoking service as well!

How much do you charge per kg please???

Gerd

I must say i am a bit more than impressed by everyone's input

I must say every smoker is different so times and such will vary by the equipment used.

wood is also an issue as some will get bitter tasting with over smoking and others richer , the best advice i can give anyone is keep smoking and document your work so you can adjust and advance as time and batches go by , the recipe posted looks good and i can bet tastes great .

I have to run but when i return Monday i will check and reply again.

and gerd the cost you you is now 2+ beers you owe me

Thanks in advance!

Rib Rub:

2 tsp white sugar

¼ tsp cayenne pepper

1 tbsp chili powder

1 tsp black pepper

2 tsp granulated garlic

1 tsp granulated onion

½ tsp nutmeg

½ tsp cinnamon

Finishing Sauce

1 ½ cups Ketchup

1 ½ cup Water

¼ cup Vinegar

½ tsp Salt

1 tsp Paprika

½ tsp Black Pepper

1 tsp Chili Powder

1 tsp yellow mustard

chamber. The smoke ring really has nothing to do with smoke at all. The smoke will impart it's

Sounds nice and looks delicious!

I'm currently experimenting bacon only, it's what I miss the most, I love ribs but bacon is my favourite :) I know the missus would prefer your ribs though!

I was going to use an electric hotplate inside the bottom pot of my contraption but I wasn't sure how to put it in there without risking my life so I'll have to dive in at the deep end and use charcoal for now :(