Drought

jayenram

I remember many years ago in the UK (and probably still applies) that if it hadn't rained for, say, 10 days (however unlikely), there was a country wide ban on using hose pipes. Given that we haven't had rain in this area for some 6 months, am I being selfish (or even illegal) in using a hose pipe to water my garden? The water originates from a bore hole on my land so I guess I'm just returning the pumped water back into the ground.

A couple of my neighbours ran out of water even though they share the same well with me - the pipe attached to their pump was shorter than mine, so they got no water while me and the other neighbours were OK.

When that happened I did stop watering the plants quite so much, especially as the water flow out of my own taps was getting very slow. But then it rained about a week ago and after one or two more days, the water flow improved considerably - I guess it takes that long for the water to work itself into the ground, maybe flowing underground from the nearby high ground.