Canadian Leo Del Pinto Murder - Still Awaiting A Trial?

MaryJane

Family waits for charges in Calgarian's death

Man was shot by off-duty Thai police officer

By Stephane Massinon, Calgary HeraldSeptember 2, 2009 2:02 AM

A Calgary family who lost their son in a Thailand homicide could soon learn whether charges will be laid.

Leo Del Pinto's family has continued fighting for justice for the man, who was shot to death by an off-duty police officer. They have just learned that the evidence in the case is now under review in a Thai court, and a decision on whether charges will be laid could be made in weeks.

Buoyed by the recent guilty verdict in the shooting death of another Calgary-area man in Thailand, the family is confident the Thai justice system will soon indict the officer who shot Leo.

Ernie Del Pinto said the life sentences handed down last week to Dale Henry's wife, her boyfriend and a hired hit man in Henry's murder, bolster his confidence --at least somewhat.

"In another way, I'm disappointed because this happened after my son and I haven't got justice yet. But I understand why because(Leo's shooter) is a public authority; he's a cop. But I really don't care. He did what he did," said Del Pinto.

Leo was shot by an off-duty police officer in January 2008 in the Thai town of Pai.

Sgt. Uthai Dechawiwat was jailed and awaiting trial, but was later freed due to a problem in the investigation.

Adriano Iovinelli, a lawyer who represents the Del Pinto family, said the case is at the pre-trial hearing stage, soon to be referred to Thailand's department of special investigation. From there, it goes to an attorney general for possible prosecution.

"This is a big step that is being taken," said Iovinelli.

He said both the Thai and Canadian embassies have kept him well informed during the lengthy process, and he also remains confident.

Del Pinto said he paid close attention to the recent trial involving Henry, a former Cochrane firefighter, who was shot to death in February 2008. Del Pinto said he identified with Henry's family--his brother travelled to Thailand to monitor the process -- and was glad to see justice served.

"I should get justice in due time for my son," said Del Pinto.

He figures if the accused was a member of the public, not a police officer, justice for Leo would have come sooner.

"This man is lucky he's a cop because if he was like those other people, he would be in prison right now. Because he's a police officer, that's why he's still on the street."

The minute he hears of the indictment, Del Pinto said, he will book a plane ticket to Thailand to watch the trial.

//e-mail removed as per forum rules//

© Copyright © The Calgary Herald

This story needs to come to the forefront again. Let's show support. It means alot!

Edited by Tywais

The media seem to have picked up on this old case. The result of the Dale Henry murder trial has awakened an interest and shown that the Thai legal system can work.

I hope the Embassy too can keep this on the front burner.

Any TV member have any fuller information on progress?

There was a thread last year which generated LOTS of response, it is closed.

The family does have a website http://www.justiceforleo.com

I don't feel that a website will have the regular following and broad audience that this forum has. I do think Thaivisa is the #1 tool in getting the word out to Thai and Canadian officials. Key is for the family to be actively involved in discussion. It does get hard at times...but well worth it.

I hope they jump on board at this very difficult time and keep this alive and in the forefront.

My thoughts are with you all.

Yes, let's see this thread stay alive.

BTW, does anybody remember what happened to the policeman who killed that British couple in Kanchanaburi about 3-4 years ago? I think he was convicted but many long-term residents doubted he would spend much time behind bars. i.e. due to connections, he might still be listed as being incarcerated but in reality he would be out on "permanent day pass". :)

Like many countries who do well from international tourism, the Thai government (of all stripes) proclaims that all perpetrators of serious crimes against tourists will be subject to swift arrest and prosecution. Unfortunately, more often than not, the official response is to find a "fall-guy" and/or let the case slowly fade from the public eye.

The famous saying about the blessings that Thailand enjoys, "fruit on the trees and fish in the rivers and ocean" seems to have given them the disposition to pick only the low-hanging fruit of tourism. They are not willing to do the heavy-lifting.

Yes, let's see this thread stay alive.

BTW, does anybody remember what happened to the policeman who killed that British couple in Kanchanaburi about 3-4 years ago? I think he was convicted but many long-term residents doubted he would spend much time behind bars. i.e. due to connections, he might still be listed as being incarcerated but in reality he would be out on "permanent day pass". :)

Like many countries who do well from international tourism, the Thai government (of all stripes) proclaims that all perpetrators of serious crimes against tourists will be subject to swift arrest and prosecution. Unfortunately, more often than not, the official response is to find a "fall-guy" and/or let the case slowly fade from the public eye.

The famous saying about the blessings that Thailand enjoys, "fruit on the trees and fish in the rivers and ocean" seems to have given them the disposition to pick only the low-hanging fruit of tourism. They are not willing to do the heavy-lifting.

One of my Thai friends here in Kan recently told me that he was still in prison. Hope that it remains that way.

Yes. keep the thread alive. I have been interested in the case in Pai. If the family has determination, like the Henry family, I think there is hope that cop goes down. Without persistance, the system will not do anything.

good luck del pinto family

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...