Do You Ever Shop At Duty Free?

simon43

Am I the only tight-fisted guy who never shops in any duty free shop, Swampy or otherwise?

Regardless of the recent King Power fiasco, I cannot understand why anyone would get the urge to buy the overpriced, top-brand items that you can buy at a cheaper price in any decent high street shopping center.

Of course, airport rental fees are no doubt so high that only the top brand names can afford to rent space in the terminals. And so they have to mark up the product prices to reap a return on their investment.

IMHO, they should kick out all the top brand shops from Swampy and set aside an area for a 'real' Thai market, with food stalls selling tasty Thai snacks, complete with the soi dogs, monks and ladyboys.... let everyone get a feel of the real Thailand.... :)

Simon

Am I the only tight-fisted guy who never shops in any duty free shop, Swampy or otherwise?

Regardless of the recent King Power fiasco, I cannot understand why anyone would get the urge to buy the overpriced, top-brand items that you can buy at a cheaper price in any decent high street shopping center.

Of course, airport rental fees are no doubt so high that only the top brand names can afford to rent space in the terminals. And so they have to mark up the product prices to reap a return on their investment.

IMHO, they should kick out all the top brand shops from Swampy and set aside an area for a 'real' Thai market, with food stalls selling tasty Thai snacks, complete with the soi dogs, monks and ladyboys.... let everyone get a feel of the real Thailand.... :)

Simon

i hardly shop there i found one can find stuff cheaper in markets than duty free and than there is VAT refund too

• 2 weeks later...

I don't,except for the bottle of something.A few years ago,I bought a couple of Thai cookery books for my mother in Bangkok.At Don Muang,with time to kill,I

looked around the book shop there-I think it was Asia Books,where I had bought the books downtown.The prices at the airport were almost double of what I had paid

downtown.Unless you're buying something heavily taxed,I don't think it's worth it.In Thailand,anyway.

Never a duty free shopper. I am an avid online shopper and have found I can buy Perfume etc online cheaper than any store in Thailand, I also buy my reading glasses, certain medications not available here and have had a stress free shop. I was concerned about delivery here but it has been excellent shopping experience also I dislike being followed around a store or bargaining here every time I HAVE to a shop here it's 'beam me up scotty' preparation.

All the products I online shop are the real deal, designer glasses at half the prices here as are contact lenses, australian wine etc. I think the days of Duty Free shopping are just about obsolete.

Never a duty free shopper. I am an avid online shopper and have found I can buy Perfume etc online cheaper than any store in Thailand, I also buy my reading glasses, certain medications not available here and have had a stress free shop. I was concerned about delivery here but it has been excellent shopping experience also I dislike being followed around a store or bargaining here every time I HAVE to a shop here it's 'beam me up Scotty' preparation.

All the products I online shop are the real deal, designer glasses at half the prices here as are contact lenses, Australian wine etc. I think the days of Duty Free shopping are just about obsolete.

Never a duty free shopper. I am an avid online shopper and have found I can buy Perfume etc online cheaper than any store in Thailand, I also buy my reading glasses, certain medications not available here and have had a stress free shop. I was concerned about delivery here but it has been excellent shopping experience also I dislike being followed around a store or bargaining here every time I HAVE to a shop here it's 'beam me up Scotty' preparation.

All the products I online shop are the real deal, designer glasses at half the prices here as are contact lenses, Australian wine etc. I think the days of Duty Free shopping are just about obsolete.

Its very strange isn't it, we are talking about duty free in this way. If they lowered their prices they would get more revenue.

And it has never changed, for as long as I have been going to Thailand.

Edited by spongeman