Trade & Recycle Topic

mallmagician

I am saving up for our wedding ceremony, and I am very much in need of a few things at the moment, and Im watching my pennies (satang). I thought that if someone has them lying around, that I could maybe ask for them without paying. A gift to a stranger. :-

(1) An office chair

(2) A desk.

Thats it! Anyone have either of these things they can give me?

Phil

I am saving up for our wedding ceremony, and I am very much in need of a few things at the moment, and Im watching my pennies (satang). I thought that if someone has them lying around, that I could maybe ask for them without paying. A gift to a stranger. :-

(1) An office chair

(2) A desk.

Thats it! Anyone have either of these things they can give me?

Phil

Is it wise to get married under the circumstances? I know they say that two can live as cheaply as one but I'm not so sure if that is true. 'Love' won't pay the rent, you know. If your parents didn't tell you already, it's not a wise way to start out. Maybe you should try to save up a little bit first. If she really loves you, she'll wait. 'It's always better to start out on the right foot'. That's what my Mum told me, anyway.

Far be it for me to get in the way of young lovers starting out in life, but it's worth a thought, if it's not too late. 

After all, you've got your whole lives ahead of you, and you only marry once (unless you're American, of course), so it might be worth waiting a little bit and doing it right, if you see what I mean.

Edited by KevinHunt

I like the concept though.. " Just ask! "

I'm struggling with payments for insurance and my kids education at the moment, and I really need a car stereo, doesn't matter how old as long as it works.. This purchase gets deferred by the purchasing department (the Mrs.) for every single month since Songkran now.. :) I keep telling her "what good is car insurance if you can't even listen to music" but she will not listen to reason and thinks insurance is a must-have.

So if anyone is thinking of buying a new car audio thingy, I'm game for the old one!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I personally have a few things lying around at home that could find a home if someone needs them. I know that things like chairs and desks often just get thrown out when new ones are bought.

Im not being miserly - I was simply asking if anyone had any of those things that were going spare.

In England we have something called Freecycle, which is worth a read about if you care to look on the net. Its basically a collective of people who offer things they are going to throw out, in case someone needs them, before throwing them away in the local Tip. It is in this spirit that I asked the question, but I guess the spirit of my post is lost on some people.

To buy a table and chair would cost a couple of thousand baht, which is not to be sniffed at. Better to save it if someone has stuff going spare.

Anyway, my request still stands. If anyone has either of these things that are surplus to requirements, then I have a home for them if they are going spare.

Sure, it doesn't hurt to ask.

THink of it as recycling if you are having trouble understanding the concept of it.

And thanks for the comments about the marriage. Im sure its the right time, but whats wrong with saving some money here and there.

I thought that Thai Visa was a community of expats helping each other out. I personally have helped out many friends and acquaintances with computer problems. Something that would otherwise cost them a lot of money if they paid for it, but in the spirit of community, I helped them out. And most of them have plenty of money (But no desks or chairs - before someone says it....).

Edited by mallmagician

I like the concept though.. " Just ask! "

I'm struggling with payments for insurance and my kids education at the moment, and I really need a car stereo, doesn't matter how old as long as it works.. This purchase gets deferred by the purchasing department (the Mrs.) for every single month since Songkran now.. :) I keep telling her "what good is car insurance if you can't even listen to music" but she will not listen to reason and thinks insurance is a must-have.

So if anyone is thinking of buying a new car audio thingy, I'm game for the old one!

Have a pretty good stereo removed over a year ago, got a spare computer box lying around to trade?

I'm not in any way poking fun at your post, but a desk and chair for "a couple of thousand baht" would fall apart in less than a week. I looked around for a long time before buying my office chair which is medium Thai quality and cost around 6800 Baht but came with a one year warranty. That was 13 months ago and so far it hasn't broken yet. On the other hand I went the cheap route on my desk and at around 2200 Baht, the keyboard/mouse tray made of particle board has already disintegrated from the oils on our hands. In another couple of months it will have to be replaced or the keyboard and mouse will end up on the floor! Something to think about when buying cheap office furniture...you get what you pay for.

I'm not in any way poking fun at your post, but a desk and chair for "a couple of thousand baht" would fall apart in less than a week. I looked around for a long time before buying my office chair which is medium Thai quality and cost around 6800 Baht but came with a one year warranty. That was 13 months ago and so far it hasn't broken yet. On the other hand I went the cheap route on my desk and at around 2200 Baht, the keyboard/mouse tray made of particle board has already disintegrated from the oils on our hands. In another couple of months it will have to be replaced or the keyboard and mouse will end up on the floor! Something to think about when buying cheap office furniture...you get what you pay for.

I bought a few desks from the shops at the factories at Lamphun. Has 2 lockable draws and a lockable cabinet, foot rest and is a decent size. 690 Baht and they seem to be OK after a couple of months. They get a lot of cold drinks placed on them with no coasters and no marks or swelling from the water.

I bought some chairs as well, padded, swivel, with arms for 450 Baht. I didn't expect them to hold up, but so far no problems at all. I bought about a year ago a deluxe office chair with thick padding, padded arms, reclining, swivel, etc for 3800 Baht from Office Max in Pantip and its still perfect

I don't know why everyone is on the guy. He was just asking a simple question. I'm moving back to the States and was in the process of giving a lot of things away these last few weeks. Sorry Winnie, I had a Car CD player (and speakers) that I just gave away, and to the OP a swivel Office Chair that I just gave away. No crime in asking, yet you would think there was with some of you (then you have the audacity to try and dissect the life of someone you haven't met). I know I spent a heck of a lot of money on things that I end up giving away (often throwing away) due to no storage facilities here in Chiang Mai.

I think Thai Visa should definitely look into a Free section (maybe in their classified). Craigslist is great and has a Thailand section, but really hasn't caught on yet.

6800 baht for an office chair? :)

I got mine for about 2000 baht, had it for 2+ years no problems, ok its not leather or fancy with chrome bits but it reclines, swilvels, on wheels and comfy :D so as far as Im concerned its great

My desk is built in furniture with the house

6800 baht for an office chair? :)

I got mine for about 2000 baht, had it for 2+ years no problems, ok its not leather or fancy with chrome bits but it reclines, swilvels, on wheels and comfy :D so as far as Im concerned its great

My desk is built in furniture with the house

A half-way decent quality office chair will cost well over 12,000 Baht in Thailand. My Herman Miller Aeron office chair that I had in my office in Los Angeles cost more than USD $1,000.00 at the time. When you spend many hours per day using the computer for a living, then you would understand how important it is to have a good chair.

~

There once was a free magazine published in CM that had free ads and was very popular - The Trader News. Why it went defunct I don't know but I would like to see a "Gimme/Giveaway" thread - especially one that doesn't end up just full of smart remarks.

I posted a few things in the CM Computer Club forum and gave away a printer, lots of VHS tapes with probably close to a hundred movies (which are available again as the new owner's ancient VHS player will not play tapes recorded at the LP speed), a good treadmill, etc.. No chair or desk but I do still have a new pair of crutches, a working 14" computer monitor, and there will be more as we get closer to an upcoming move..

There is always Baht & Sold as well - do they accept ads for recyclables?

Edited by Dustoff

A half-way decent quality office chair will cost well over 12,000 Baht in Thailand. My Herman Miller Aeron office chair that I had in my office in Los Angeles cost more than USD $1,000.00 at the time. When you spend many hours per day using the computer for a living, then you would understand how important it is to have a good chair.
'The two most important things are a good bed and good pair of shoes - think of how much of your life you spend in bed or on your feet!' That's what my Mum advised. It obviously needs to be updated to include a good chair. Sign of the times.

'So long as you've got your health ....' That was another one. :)

As you all know by now 'Nothing in this world is free, lad' was my Dad's little nugget of wisdom. 'Never a Borrower or Lender be', came out whenever I was after a 'sub'. The only other one he had was 'Never hit metal with metal.' I still haven't figured that one out. :D

One for the OP 'There's no harm in asking'.

Interesting topic. I seldom buy anything in Thailand that I can't walk away from. That said however, I have a motorbike that I leave with friends. I paid only 52,000 baht two years ago, so it really doesn't owe me much if it disappeared or I couldn't come back. Other stuff, like a printer that always needs new ink when I return, is a questionable item. Ink costs more than the printer itself.

It certainly doesn't hurt to ask. I would always rather give stuff away than try selling it. I just don't like the lowballers at garage sales. It's not worth my time bartering with them.

'The two most important things are a good bed and good pair of shoes - think of how much of your life you spend in bed or on your feet!' That's what my Mum advised. It obviously needs to be updated to include a good chair. Sign of the times.

'So long as you've got your health ....' That was another one. :)

As you all know by now 'Nothing in this world is free, lad' was my Dad's little nugget of wisdom. 'Never a Borrower or Lender be', came out whenever I was after a 'sub'. The only other one he had was 'Never hit metal with metal.' I still haven't figured that one out.

One for the OP 'There's no harm in asking'.

my mother was always telling me 'she'll wipe that smile off me face'

But I'm with you on the freecycle.

If you think its a good idea, ask the Mods to start a Sub-Forum where we can offer & request.

Back in the NYC, I got a few goodies from folks on freecycle. There is a group setup for CM with 34 members but it appears no one has offered nor requested things so far.

It's a great idea especially for expats who want to upgrade their "whatever" and wind up throwing out the older thing.

But I'm with you on the freecycle.

If you think its a good idea, ask the Mods to start a Sub-Forum where we can offer & request.

Back in the NYC, I got a few goodies from folks on freecycle. There is a group setup for CM with 34 members but it appears no one has offered nor requested things so far.

It's a great idea especially for expats who want to upgrade their "whatever" and wind up throwing out the older thing.

Have just posted a new thread about the cm Freecycle. You need to signup to Yahoo if you dont already have that. They email you (to any email) when things are offered/requested.

Hopefully we can get that other thread pinned to keep it in peoples minds, and hopefully people will see it for what it is, and use it where possible.

Or people could use the thread for offering directly here on TV.

Cheers