Thaksin: Man City Sale Funded Diamond-mine Purchase

webfact

Man City sale funded diamond-mine purchase: Thaksin

By The Nation

Published on September 7, 2009

Former premier Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday gave a radio interview, the first since his exile, which was aired for the first time by state-run MCOT station.

Thaksin revealed that his investment in a diamond mine was financed by profit from the sale of Manchester City Football Club.

He took the opportunity to use his interview with show host Chom Phetpradab as a platform to clear his name.

"Before the 2006 coup, rumour mongers claimed I took out 30 baggages filled with money. This is not true," he said.

He said his funds were not impounded by British authorities because he had no bank accounts in England.

With regard to his freedom to travel, he said none of the countries he visited had any objection or embarrassment to grant him entry.

"On the contrary, these countries are annoyed by Thai authorities trying to block him," he said.

He claimed that no country paid attention to his conviction related to the Ratchadaphisek land case.

The case was seen as a joke because a prime minister was found guilty for giving out his identification card to facilitate his wife to buy the plot when encroachers of forest reserve were left untouched, he said.

He denied reports about his ownership of a private jet or about his bodyguards. He said he had no fear for his life.

When asked about his view on reconciliation, he said he was ready to talk to everyone.

"If you or any taxi drivers and low-ranking policemen can have my phone number, then the powers-that-be should know how to get in touch with me," he said.

He said he was willing to hold talks with the prime minister or a deputy prime minister.

He said he wanted to hear what the government had to offer in order to foster reconciliation. It was necessary to find a mutual point to agree on because reconciliation is not a one-sided process, he said.

Commenting on the judicial process and his conviction, he said he was doubtful about the justice system.

Even though the majority of the courts are just, a small portion is not because of the outside interference beyond the government's control, he said.

"What happened was meant to oust me," he said.

He claimed that he was willing to step down if he was talked to "nicely". In fact he just clinged to office because he wanted to complete some unfinished tasks before his exit, he said.

In concluding his interview, he denied speculation about his illness with cancer. He said he was in good health.

Reacting to the broadcast of Thaksin's interview, PM's Office Minister Satit Wongnongtaey said he expected the state-run radio station to explain its action by today.

Chom said he just did his duty as a journalist.

Democrat MP Trairong Suwankhiri said he saw Thaksin as a pebble left inside a shoe.

Thaksin can be annoying but not capable of setting back the country, he said.

In gauging the sentiment, the utmost concern was about the street protests by the red shirts followed by Thaksin remaining politically active, Suan Dusit said in a survey released yesterday.

A clear majority of 63 per cent wanted the government to remain in office in spite of mounting obstacles. Only about 18 per cent voiced support for a snap election.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/07/09

Thaksin didn't really say anything incendiary or encouraging of violence or unrest. As such, the PM's office saying the news story should not have been disseminated speaks to the mentality of the current government.

Chom Phetpradab did his job and reported on what Thaksin said. The information was newsworthy and relevant. Even the detractors of Thaksin have a right to know what he has done with his money frpm the Man U sale. Perhaps the Prime Minsiter and his minions and friends in the military should reconsider that this is not what confidant secure leaders do. Nor is it considered acceptable behaviour unless one is in Syria, Iran, Zimbabwe etc.

Thaksin didn't really say anything incendiary or encouraging of violence or unrest. As such, the PM's office saying the news story should not have been disseminated speaks to the mentality of the current government.

Chom Phetpradab did his job and reported on what Thaksin said. The information was newsworthy and relevant. Even the detractors of Thaksin have a right to know what he has done with his money frpm the Man U sale. Perhaps the Prime Minsiter and his minions and friends in the military should reconsider that this is not what confidant secure leaders do. Nor is it considered acceptable behaviour unless one is in Syria, Iran, Zimbabwe etc.

I guess those repeated calls by T for a " People's Revolution", were just his way of saying "Lets get together and have a picnic! Come on, it'll be fun!"...

"Diamonds are forever" - easier to move as well - will they soon replace the 100 and 500 notes?

But then ever seen the size of a 5 pointer?

1 ct is 0.2 Gr.

or 100 points

so how many grams are 5 points

a quarter of a ct is 4.1 mm in diameter...

guess the size of 5 points... well...

Interesting would be the location of the new aquisition -

Angola, Nigeria or Liberia?

I guess those repeated calls by T for a " People's Revolution", were just his way of saying "Lets get together and have a picnic! Come on, it'll be fun!"...

Stay on topic, which in this case is this specific interview. Where did Mr. Thaksin call for a People's Revolution in the interview? If he had been advocating violence, I could understand the need to prevent the dissemination. What we have here is the Prime Minister's office upset and wishing to control the media.

Obviously you dislike Mr. Thaksin. Many others hate him too. However, the public have a human right to hear and read interviews like this. If the military ever removes the PM, I would support his right to a news interview as well.

Stay on topic, which in this case is this specific interview. Where did Mr. Thaksin call for a People's Revolution in the interview? If he had been advocating violence, I could understand the need to prevent the dissemination. What we have here is the Prime Minister's office upset and wishing to control the media.

Obviously you dislike Mr. Thaksin. Many others hate him too. However, the public have a human right to hear and read interviews like this. If the military ever removes the PM, I would support his right to a news interview as well.

Hey you kids, get off of my lawn...

Every Thai political thread brings out hoards of posts chucking insults at Thaksin.

What these posters seemingly fail to see is that the problem is endemic and all Thai political leaders are equally corrupt and callous and almost certainly have blood on their hands or they would not have been able to rise to power.

The current bunch contains many of the supporters and perpetrators of the 1992 Black May massacre with "nice boy puppet" Abhisit trotted out front and centre to make it look good.

The problem is not Thaksin. The problems are much more linked to an entrenched ruling class, both red and yellow, who are above the law and will use all means including machine guns to cling on to their power and income.

Basically it sint about what Thaksin said but a reminde rto authorites that he still has contacts and peopel in the bureacracy and cant just be disappeared. Getting on stste run meida siupposedly controlled by his enemies.....

It is reshuffle time in many places and as much as his opponents try to sideline his influence in the bureacracy, he will try to show he still has it.

Edited to add: It is also importnat for him to show his allies this too. Many politicos can be on any side and if they think one os being sidelined they become likely to move house.

Games games games

Edited by hammered

Without seeing it or reading transcript it's difficult to judge, but my impression is that the interview was just a promotional piece for Thaksin.

No difficult questions, no probing, no follow ups, no mention of calls for people's revolution, for example, and why his kids have left the country while he was asking reds to bring THEIR kids to the fight.

Just because it was done in a interview format doesn't mean it as an honest journalistic effort. The govt has all the rights to ask why the state media is used to promote Thaksin in the run up to the scheduled anti-government offensive (Sept 19 demo).

Oh yes! The champion of the poor!

Private jet

Premier league football club

Diamond mine

Private Mediterranean island

Billions in cash and assets (and I don't mean Mickey Mouse currency) hoarded away; some frozen

Thousands of rai of prime land

What have I overlooked?

"Diamonds are forever" - easier to move as well - will they soon replace the 100 and 500 notes?

But then ever seen the size of a 5 pointer?

1 ct is 0.2 Gr.

or 100 points

so how many grams are 5 points

a quarter of a ct is 4.1 mm in diameter...

guess the size of 5 points... well...

Interesting would be the location of the new aquisition -

Angola, Nigeria or Liberia?

Maybe Swaziland? It's one of the few real democracies to make business with...

Thaksin with King Mswati III (one of the last absolute monarchs in the world)

post-89494-1252301940_thumb.jpg

Or maybe Thaksin is about to start a pro-democracy movement there? :)

Maybe he read the book "Three Options for Diamond Buying in Africa"...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/18991424/Three-O...ica-updated-809

Edited by noithip

Well, apart from the money being a Man City sale (it was NOT a Man U sale), this post makes sense. We have the right to know what any leader/ex-leader has to say. If I was good at making money, well, maybe I can make a profit from selling a football club and use it to purchase a diamond mine. I admit I'm not though !!

Private jet

Diamond mine

Billions in cash and assets (and I don't mean Mickey Mouse currency) hoarded away; some frozen

What have I overlooked?

The fact that he actually did improve the lives of millions of Thailand's poor, almost halved the amount of people living beneath the poverty line and did more for the poor of this country than any other government, person or institution before him.

Things have been on a downward spiral since his removal in 2006, except unemployment, drug use and crime, all of which are markedly on the increase.

I'd also like to point out his private jet was paid for out of his own pocket, unlike the Thai 'Air Force One' which certain influential people didn't want him to have. Guess where those two aircraft ended up and who is using them now?

Private jet

Diamond mine

What have I overlooked?

The fact that he actually did improve the lives of millions of Thailand's poor, almost halved the amount of people living beneath the poverty line and did more for the poor of this country than any other government, person or institution before him.

Things have been on a downward spiral since his removal in 2006, except unemployment, drug use and crime, all of which are markedly on the increase.

I'd also like to point out his private jet was paid for out of his own pocket, unlike the Thai 'Air Force One' which certain influential people didn't want him to have. Guess where those two aircraft ended up and who is using them now?

Well, considering that most of his "enhanced assets" came about because he willfully changed telecommunication laws to benefit his own company, thereby quadrupling his own wealth, the argument could be made that the Thai people actually paid for that plane too.

If he had gone about his job with a good heart and without the sticky fingers, we might indeed be singing the praises of St. Thaksin. But as it is, he fell victim to the old mantra "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely".

Well, considering that most of his "enhanced assets" came about because he willfully changed telecommunication laws to benefit his own company, thereby quadrupling his own wealth, the argument could be made that the Thai people actually paid for that plane too.

If he had gone about his job with a good heart and without the sticky fingers, we might indeed be singing the praises of St. Thaksin. But as it is, he fell victim to the old mantra "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely".

He was never in "absolute power".

Should we assume those who clearly are in absolute power, are also absolutely corrupt too?

By looking at their assets and wealth, I would conclude so.

Thaksin revealed that his investment in a diamond mine was financed by profit from the sale of Manchester City Football Club.

So the recent claim in a phone-call to supporters in a noodle-shop, by someone claiming to be Mr Thaksin, that the government had taken "all my life-savings" are now agreed to be untrue ? Thanks Heavens ! But who was that impertinent person, who made that outrageous claim, then ?

.... snip for brevity ...

He said he had no fear for his life.

So all those past claims, that he feared for his life if he were to return to Thailand, are also now denied, from the horses mouth ?

my comments in red above.

............"The fact that he actually did improve the lives of millions of Thailand's poor, almost halved the amount of people living beneath the poverty line and did more for the poor of this country than any other government, person or institution before him."...........

Who do you mean by institution?

Edited by jamesjdaly

Every Thai political thread brings out hoards of posts chucking insults at Thaksin.

What these posters seemingly fail to see is that the problem is endemic and all Thai political leaders are equally corrupt and callous and almost certainly have blood on their hands or they would not have been able to rise to power.

The current bunch contains many of the supporters and perpetrators of the 1992 Black May massacre with "nice boy puppet" Abhisit trotted out front and centre to make it look good.

The problem is not Thaksin. The problems are much more linked to an entrenched ruling class, both red and yellow, who are above the law and will use all means including machine guns to cling on to their power and income.

Excellent post and 100% correct mate.

Please take note of Forum rule #29

29. To not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

This time I leave it as it is.

Please do not alter OP with replies. Otherwise posts will be deleted.

............"The fact that he actually did improve the lives of millions of Thailand's poor, almost halved the amount of people living beneath the poverty line and did more for the poor of this country than any other government, person or institution before him."...........

Who do you mean by institution?

We all know what he means! No point to list all the things this "institution" was doing for the poor since it would take forever to just write a list. But that is the problem, people tend to forget and be ignorant to what is so obvious...

Thankfully Thaksin is selling the Sustainabilty Program to African Leaders... did he develop that one?

Edited by webfact
Do not flame members