Work Permit Stings

animatic

A friend was just set up recently, on very dubious grounds,

and I was wondering how prevalent this thing is getting?

Seems someone big or greedy was feeling threatened lately,

and is sicking the local bully boys on successful farangs.

Of course if our lawyers drop the ball in writing our

job descriptions properly in Thai, which most of us can't read,

how can we be sure we are not soon to be targeted?

Even though we BELIEVE we are doing things by the letter of the law?

And paid for this to be so.

A friend was just set up recently, on very dubious grounds,

and I was wondering how prevalent this thing is getting?

Seems someone big or greedy was feeling threatened lately,

and is sicking the local bully boys on successful farangs.

Of course if our lawyers drop the ball in writing our

job descriptions properly in Thai, which most of us can't read,

how can we be sure we are not soon to be targeted?

Even though we BELIEVE we are doing things by the letter of the law?

And paid for this to be so.

By 'Stings' what do you mean? Work permit checks? ... If possible can you give any more info on your friends situation, where, what bully boys and what were the reasons given?

I havent heard of any friends permits being randomly checked recently.

Sounds like a show of local authority chest beating to me but without more info it would be difficult to know.

This also happened to a friend of mine recently.

Its an appalling situation especially considering the state of tourism on the island now.

The latest form of farang taxation. :D

It's worse than that.

If I decide to stay for long periods in Samui i have to do something, people need (usually) to have something to do. Nothing heavy, a nice part time job, 1 bath per hour :)

I've checked the cost of a work permit and decided is cheaper to go to Bali every weekend.....

What was the outcome? Were papers not in order? any idea why your friend might have been targeted??

I believe the issue was incorrect wording on the work permit regarding my friend's places of work. Had to pay to have this changed.

Its not so much about the money as the unneccessary stress and worry about your livelihood hinging on the efforts of your thai lawyer/accountant.

Any comment on why my friend was targeted would be pure speculation sorry.

What was the outcome? Were papers not in order? any idea why your friend might have been targeted??

I believe the issue was incorrect wording on the work permit regarding my friend's places of work. Had to pay to have this changed.

Its not so much about the money as the unneccessary stress and worry about your livelihood hinging on the efforts of your thai lawyer/accountant.

Any comment on why my friend was targeted would be pure speculation sorry.

Regarding "the unnecessary stress and worry about your livelihood hinging on the efforts of your thai lawyer/accountant." I can tell anyone who has a genuine work permit granted under genuine conditions at best with the Labor Department will NOT have ANY Problems which can't be solved!

Since when are WP's issued through "lawyer's or accountants"? :)

I am aware of the situation, anyone who thinks that it is an advantage has a lot of money to throw down the drain - have fun, the party will continue -as this is one of the favored businesses in Thailand, doing little to achieve the most, in case of need create a situation where money will pour out from....

Have a nice day!

I am not at liberty to say much here but.

It is possible a former farang employee, now in competition for the same contract,

"may" have dropped a dime to erase the competition, and the Thais were more

than willing to accommodate stitching up a successful higher profile businessman.

More points for them, and good press, they might think.

It may even hinge on as little as ONE WORD not put in properly...

In an otherwise long term resident, honest, square and respected guy's business.

Video surveillance was used multiple times apparently, and to back a very narrow

possibly 'textural loophole' in another wise long term existing WP,

thought to be honestly and legally processed.

Did the 'lawyer or someone similar make a mistake... well that is one possible conclusion.

Did the suspected cause have a girlfriend read a posted work permit and find a loophole,

remains to be seen.

This seems a 'indirectly connected', fall out from the Coco and Santi Thani messes.

They both set the stage well for going after the upper levels of expat business people.

And very possibly some son of a puyai, maybe, has wanted to take out

some Farang competition in tougher times, or even a farang partner,

and Immigration / Work Office are happy to oblige, and give him cover,

by going after ALL farangs, since they have a green light to do so.

This is clearly a different targeting and direction than the standard sweeps in the past,

often the clubs / bars and such. This is going after generally respected citizens,

and the more successful ones at that. Jealousies? Greed?

Certainly not just suddenly finding the letter of the law so attractive here.

I spent the morning at the lawyers getting ALL my ducks verified for proper rows.

Just in case.

Edited by animatic

This thread is so vague and "insider" oriented that it is almost useless.

What exactly are we talking about? Are you saying that an already-issued work permit can be rescinded because of application wording? Is someone working illegally or not? That seems to be the minimum we need to know, instead of heavily veiled supposition.

So how does this "shakedown" work? Walk me and the others who have no idea what you are talking about through it.

This thread is so vague and "insider" oriented that it is almost useless.

What exactly are we talking about? Are you saying that an already-issued work permit can be rescinded because of application wording? Is someone working illegally or not? That seems to be the minimum we need to know, instead of heavily veiled supposition.

So how does this "shakedown" work? Walk me and the others who have no idea what you are talking about through it.

Is it a actual shake down, well TIT,

don't imagine this doesn't happen from traffic stops on up.

Is this specific case that, I don't know, but I have suspicions for sure.

Some, like the Santi Thani and Coco ones,

there seems to have been some validity to the charges.

Others...

well do you want to wait and find out,

or check your papers for EXACT wording now... just in case.

Yes, a valid work permit with bad wording IN THAI,

compounded by BAD COMMUNICATION between lawyer and client,

can leave the client in a bad position costing thousands of baht,

and it is ALL THE CLIENT'S FAULT of course.

Yes they can yank it away, and charge you as an illegal worker, retroactively too.

What you don't know CAN hurt you.

If so much as one word is not correct, this makes you illegal, regardless of your good faith.

....depending on who sees it and their mood of the day, or 'word coming down' to make examples,

or get tea money, in some cases also likely. Or both. Or to help a friend...

They can just pick you up and take you away.

Better hope you have some cash in the bank account that day...

Now if someone is your competitor... and has their Thai partner go to the WP task force,

and say 'this guy is hassling my business and we think his papers are not in order',

they then look at the records, read the EXACT WORDING, and interpret it as they see fit.

Then have someone look long enough, until an unknowing foot is put wrong, and swoop down.

How far it goes after that... well TIT, there are ways and there are ways,

and face must be saved and somebody is at fault, (the Farang of course)

how much and what it costs them is an open story.

As someone who works here on the island, I have a valid visa non immigrant b & work permit. I've never once had any stings or problems in the last 4 years. When its time to renew visa or work permit I have a good office that takes care of this for me. I work here legally. I'm lucky though that I work for a hotel. I've heard many times of problems arising though this seems more or less confined to those

starting their own business

with property sector to.

As with samui there are scams and fake promises regarding getting work permits, but not everywhere is bad or just trying to rob you blind. I can't say about your friend or anything else on the matter since the posting was done quite poorly.