Why Do We Farangs Say ' Farang ' ?

kevin99

I'm trying to learn more Thai but my feeble brain keeps letting me down, so I've resorted to learning those words that have the same pronunciation in both languages. So far I've got-

carrot, heroin, poker, computer, yoga, glum = depressed, hmmm there are others but I've already forgotten them.

Nothing wrong with using Thai words interspersed with English, as long as you can communicate with someone what's the harm?

I am not specifically referring to the OP or anyone here.

In my 2 years living in Pattaya, I have met many foreigners who are living here. At first I noticed some took great offense when Thais referred to them as farangs, but I did not really think about it. After a while I met others who felt similarly offended when they hear the word farang.

I kid you not when I say the common thread amongst these people is that they are fairly racist in their outlook and I do my best to avoid them now. Of course, I don't mean to say all foreigners who object ot "farang" are racist...only the ones I have come across in Pattaya who react negatively and irrationally eventhough it is clear the word was not used in an offensive way.

It's great though that most foreigners just accept the word and move one...

BTW, how many thai can read thai written in western character?

unless they are trained to, not a single of them.

It’s quite common to see Thai’s writing “karaoke Thai” on chat and other sites when they’re interacting with English speakers.

I've also seen karaoke Thai used in Instant messaging, emails and sms between Thais when one was using a computer or phone with no Thai keyboard.

Edited by Farma

when i was renting houses out to tourist one of the things i often noticed was after they had a couple of nights out in the bars under their belts the tourist would start calling themselves farang. I began believing that to newbies being a farang is one step closer to being a local who knows the ropes. Oh and they also had a "thai friend".

• 2 weeks later...
I dropped by one of my regular local Thai food places yesterday. I always tip (not the kind of place where people do) as I am a regular and I want to be welcome. So this lady who I only know by face not name says to me who she only knows by face not name says HELLO FARANG! It made me cringe. Now I realize she was not intending to be rude, but what is going on in her head that she just can't leave it at HELLO?

I actually hope for this kind of comment- because unlike many times it is so easy to deal with. You just reply "watdee cup, con Thai!" with a big smile. Its actually a little rude, but given how quickly it comes after "hello farang" nobody can get annoyed with you for it! They might even reflect on why you did that.