Why Would Anyone Want To Join The British Club?

Cromarty

I am a frequent ish visitor to the British club. maybe once a month, and I know a few senior members and they are very worried about dropping numbers and the ageing membership. But really, why would you want to join in the first place? Ok, it has a pool and tennis courts, but there are numerous places that have courts and the vast vast majority of condo's have a pool.

The food is western should you be desperate, but again there are lots of places in town with western food. Same with the beer.

Then there's the price of membership. It is absurd!! You may as well join a country club with golf and better facilities. I can get the reduced fees and can easily afford it, but wouldn't consider it for a moment.

It seems to me that the vast majority of members are those who are harking back to the days of the Raj and do not particularly enjoy the Thai culture!! I wonder how many members can speak Thai?

There are other numerous clubs and societies for expats if they want to meet other westerners too.

Are the days of the British Club numbered?

vestige of a bygone era where it was probably one of the only places you could go for that kind of stuff.

Personally, if I had the cash, I'd invest in a RBSC membership....much better connections to be made there...and facilities, of course.

I am a frequent ish visitor to the British club. maybe once a month, and I know a few senior members and they are very worried about dropping numbers and the ageing membership. But really, why would you want to join in the first place? Ok, it has a pool and tennis courts, but there are numerous places that have courts and the vast vast majority of condo's have a pool.

The food is western should you be desperate, but again there are lots of places in town with western food. Same with the beer.

Then there's the price of membership. It is absurd!! You may as well join a country club with golf and better facilities. I can get the reduced fees and can easily afford it, but wouldn't consider it for a moment.

It seems to me that the vast majority of members are those who are harking back to the days of the Raj and do not particularly enjoy the Thai culture!! I wonder how many members can speak Thai?

There are other numerous clubs and societies for expats if they want to meet other westerners too.

Are the days of the British Club numbered?

I joined in 2007 when I arrived in BAngkok and think it was the best investment I could have made. I have many good friends from the British Club now. The bar has some old timers but also some really great guys who know Bangkok really well.

The club has fun fuctions and a nice pool and tennis courts and the old colonial building is beautiful.

70,000 baht to join is not too bad when you consider the American Club in Tokyo is $25,000. Also the beers are only 50 baht. One futher plus is the joining fee does keep out cheapskates! :)

70,000 baht to join is not too bad when you consider the American Club in Tokyo is $25,000. Also the beers are only 50 baht. One futher plus is the joining fee does keep out cheapskates! :)

....and the crusty environment keeps out everyone left over :D

Horses for courses I guess...

"70,000 baht to join is not too bad when you consider...the beers are only 50 baht."

Paying 70K THB to buy beer @ 50THB seems to be a pretty stupid investment.

"I joined in 2007 when I arrived in BAngkok and think it was the best investment I could have made."

Since this was the best investment you've ever made, I'd like to know about the bad ones you haven't mentioned.

sAre the days of the British Club numbered?

....the british club?????? they are still around??????? thought they went the way of the dinosaur in asia .............or will soon be on their way..........

yes, why not join the other clubs as mentioned here and try to pick up some thai culture and learn thai too.........

I joined in 2007 when I arrived in BAngkok and think it was the best investment I could have made. I have many good friends from the British Club now. The bar has some old timers but also some really great guys who know Bangkok really well.

The club has fun fuctions and a nice pool and tennis courts and the old colonial building is beautiful.

Any decent malt whisky being served?...It would be worth the joining fee alone.

vestige of a bygone era where it was probably one of the only places you could go for that kind of stuff.

Personally, if I had the cash, I'd invest in a RBSC membership....much better connections to be made there...and facilities, of course.

How much are the memberships Samran? The facilities certainly look fantastic.

Wow...

RBSC Ordinary Membership for Son of Ordinary Member / Ordinary Ladies’ Privileges (elected from 1st January 2001 – 31st December 2006) 400,000 :)

A club with their own beer (like a beer keller in Germany) and bands woiuld be brilliant.

Also, with the British Club, it's not just 70,000. That's the upfront fee. You then have to pay 2100baht a month for the privalege of being a member!

BTW I am British, so I have no agenda there!

Any decent malt whisky being served?...It would be worth the joining fee alone.

They do serve decent whisky and have a bottle keep system if you want to buy something really special in duty free leave it in the club.

The question posed here was why would someone join the British Club. I joined to meet new people since I did not know anyone when I arrived in Bagkok. It worked for me and I have great friends now. I have found British Club members to be very down to earth and the best asset of the club. It's not at all snobish and there are many nationalities(I'm American).

From what I've been told...wait for it...

2 million gets you in, and your family, for life. But there is 20K per year maintence fee. Need sponsors though.

if you are alot poorer, like me, then 800,000 will get you into the polo club.

At the moment, am down for the Melboune Cricket Club membership at the MCG. Dirt cheap $150 odd - but a 15 year waiting list. Only 12 years to go for me!

Edited by samran

From what I've been told...wait for it...

2 million gets you in, and your family, for life. But there is 20K per year maintence fee. Need sponsors though.

if you are alot poorer, like me, then 800,000 will get you into the polo club.

At the moment, am down for the Melboune Cricket Club membership at the MCG. Dirt cheap $150 odd - but a 15 year waiting list. Only 12 years to go for me!

Be careful they don't change it to 30 when you aren't looking. That land over there is leasehold ya know? :)

I have found British Club members to be very down to earth and the best asset of the club. It's not at all snobish and there are many nationalities(I'm American).

an American, allowed in the British Club??!?!! My goodness, membership levels must be even more critical than I thought!

No, far dues if you are a stranger here. But, I left Britain to get away from the British. So I wouldn't want to then surround myself with them in a club, especially when they think they are something special for belonging to such a club!

I have found British Club members to be very down to earth and the best asset of the club. It's not at all snobish and there are many nationalities(I'm American).

an American, allowed in the British Club??!?!! My goodness, membership levels must be even more critical than I thought!

No, far dues if you are a stranger here. But, I left Britain to get away from the British. So I wouldn't want to then surround myself with them in a club, especially when they think they are something special for belonging to such a club!

You claim to go there once a month so I'm surprised you did not know 40% of members are not British or other Common Wealth citizens. Tonight at the Churchill bar there were two Germans, one Dane, two Brits and me(American). Pleasent conversation, no loud music, a few beers and spoofing. Much nicer than your typical Bangkok bar with blasting music, whores, and drunk tatooed sex tourists in shorts,T shirts and flip flops.

Also, I've never met anyone at the club who thought they were special because they became a member. 70,000 baht and you are in. I think you can even pay that over a few years. But if you don't like Brits go ahead and pay 2 million to join the RBSC and hang out with the big haired Khun Yings.

You claim to go there once a month so I'm surprised you did not know 40% of members are not British or other Common Wealth citizens. Tonight at the Churchill bar there were two Germans, one Dane, two Brits and me(American). Pleasent conversation, no loud music, a few beers and spoofing. Much nicer than your typical Bangkok bar with blasting music, whores, and drunk tatooed sex tourists in shorts,T shirts and flip flops.

Also, I've never met anyone at the club who thought they were special because they became a member. 70,000 baht and you are in. I think you can even pay that over a few years. But if you don't like Brits go ahead and pay 2 million to join the RBSC and hang out with the big haired Khun Yings.

I'm glad to hear the club is so inclusive. So what's the percentage of female members? :)

When I came here in 1971 the British Club was exclusively British – even Commonwealth citizens could not join and the only brown faces were the Thai staff and the Gurkas who moonlighted from the British Embassy as Security Guards.

As the British presence in Thailand reduced the Club gradually allowed other nationalities to join and I believe now there are no restrictions at all. The legend is that the Membership Secretary lurks on Silom with a net.

Not wanting to have travelled 7,000 miles to end up drinking beer with other Englishmen I joined the RBSC, which is fantastic value for money – because I joined so long ago I pay just over Baht 1,000.- a month for membership, and Golf Green Fees are Baht 50.- per day or Baht 500.- a month if you play that much.

These days the Entry Fee is Baht 1,500,000.- but the waiting list is closed. Not sure what the current monthly Dues are for newer Members.

Contrary to what some may believe the RBSC is not the preserve of “Big Haired” Khunyings or snobby Thais – most of the Members are the most interesting and charming people you could meet anywhere. (Did I mention I’m a Member? :) )

Patrick

I'm glad to hear the club is so inclusive. So what's the percentage of female members? :D

If I understand the rules, the RBSC doesn't have any female members, only female members with guest priveleges, which expire if they marry a non-member.

When I came here in 1971 the British Club was exclusively British – even Commonwealth citizens could not join and the only brown faces were the Thai staff and the Gurkas who moonlighted from the British Embassy as Security Guards.

As the British presence in Thailand reduced the Club gradually allowed other nationalities to join and I believe now there are no restrictions at all. The legend is that the Membership Secretary lurks on Silom with a net.

Not wanting to have travelled 7,000 miles to end up drinking beer with other Englishmen I joined the RBSC, which is fantastic value for money – because I joined so long ago I pay just over Baht 1,000.- a month for membership, and Golf Green Fees are Baht 50.- per day or Baht 500.- a month if you play that much.

These days the Entry Fee is Baht 1,500,000.- but the waiting list is closed. Not sure what the current monthly Dues are for newer Members.

Contrary to what some may believe the RBSC is not the preserve of “Big Haired” Khunyings or snobby Thais – most of the Members are the most interesting and charming people you could meet anywhere. (Did I mention I’m a Member? :) )

Patrick

The first time I looked, the British Club were accepting Commonwealth nationals, but it seems they are so desperate, they are looking to let anyone in :D

As for the RSBC, I didn't realise the books were closed, but it makes sense. Any idea how often they open their books?

I expressed interest once to my cousin, who is a member, and she gave me a call about 6 months ago telling me there was a spot at the Polo club, if I wanted it (not ideal, but better than nothing). But alas with two little-uns now, I can't afford it. Need to get rich somehow. Envious you got in when it was cheap!

Edited by samran

I joined a few years back which was expensive with the monthly fee and christmas bonuses for the staff and found the place boring with stuckup clicky groups . the food and bakery was average.

cancelled my membership , never want to go back .

I think it was around '71 or '72 that they started allowing colonials to join. My friend, an Australian, was nominated by the Honorary Irish Consul at the time, who was allowed in because he was the Land Rover agent. Part of the application process was that you had to go down and have drinks at the bar with a few old soap dodgers who were on the Membership Committee and I attended that. One of them confided to me that the reason for the drinks arrangement was that they had just had a frightful experience when they had recently accepted a membership application by mail from a Canadian and he "turned out to be a darkie".

The Irish Consul himself had a very bad experience there shortly after. There was a contract out to dig the first tunnel under Bangkok, I think it was for water. Anyway a bunch of Irish tunnelers turned up and being a nice fellow, he tried to get them temporary membership of the British Club. At some (late) point during the drinks meeting, a fracas started and the Irishmen took to each other with billiard clues and tried to damage the premises with billiard balls. I believe that set Anglo-Irish relations in Bangkok back quite a bit.

The Club has obviously changed a lot since then and even has Commonwealth citizens on various committees.

As an American, I don't quite understand these clubs. So you go on Saturday morning to a basketball club, and its what exactly, people playing pickup basketball or its organized into some kind of league? And for a young person, you are what, forced to play with a bunch of seniors?

The facilities look run down. Those at 5 star hotels are much better. As for the socializing factor, I don't get that either. What, you are going to end up on the same team as a Senator or something and convince him to be your friend? Yeah, right.

As an American, I don't quite understand these clubs. So you go on Saturday morning to a basketball club, and its what exactly, people playing pickup basketball or its organized into some kind of league? And for a young person, you are what, forced to play with a bunch of seniors?

The facilities look run down. Those at 5 star hotels are much better. As for the socializing factor, I don't get that either. What, you are going to end up on the same team as a Senator or something and convince him to be your friend? Yeah, right.

for the British club, I'd agree.

For the RSBC? Not really. You don't get too many rugby fields and 50m lap pools in the the centre of town.....

For the RSBC? Not really. You don't get too many rugby fields and 50m lap pools in the the centre of town.....

How do you play rugby there? You register to play? How do they differentiate skill level? As an American, I am not at all versed in <deleted> a sports club is. We just have leagues (adults play on teams that meet) and "the park".

Edited by DonJuanDemarco

Or an 18 Hole Golf Couse - OK, it's short, Par 66, but extremely convenient.

And Green Fees are Baht 50.-

Caddies Baht 500.- including Tip

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

the polo club is for the sport of polo only? what else is offered? i cant find the website for it, only the RSBC website which mentions it vaguely.

Deapite the name no Polo is played at the Polo Club, before it was taken over by the RBSC as a Sister Club, it was an equestriian centre with Polo being one of the activities.

For some reason the old name was kept.

Lots of other activities though :

http://www.rbsc.org/ClubFacilities.aspx?type=polo

Patrick