Using The Blackberry Curve 8900 In Chiang Mai

BOOKEMDANO

Hello, i would like to ask your advice on bringing a second hand blackberry curve 8900 to Thailand and using it primarily in Chiang mai. This phone was bought in the UK without a sim, and now i expect it would have to be unblocked in order for me to use it with a thai network.

My question is, has anybody unblocked a blackberry 8900; if so how much did you pay, and what kind network are you using to take advantage of the internet options? Can you use this phone on a one2call network or does it have to be a contract of some kind ?

Also what is the network coverage like on the Blackberrys in Chiang mai ?

Thank you for your time

Hello, i would like to ask your advice on bringing a second hand blackberry curve 8900 to Thailand and using it primarily in Chiang mai. This phone was bought in the UK without a sim, and now i expect it would have to be unblocked in order for me to use it with a thai network.

My question is, has anybody unblocked a blackberry 8900; if so how much did you pay, and what kind network are you using to take advantage of the internet options? Can you use this phone on a one2call network or does it have to be a contract of some kind ?

Thank you for your time

I haven't used an 8900, but I've used an unlocked 8320 with a pre-paid AIS SIM card and the native BB browser works just fine. AIS offers Blackberries so their network can send the service books required for the native browser to work. I'm not sure if other providers like DTAC offer Blackberries in Thailand, but if they don't, the phone's browser won't work. You'd have to use a 3rd party browser, and there are only 2 of those for Blackberries - Opera Mini and Bolt Browser. The problem with the 3rd party browsers is you can't download applications over the air.

Two settings that have to be changed for the phone to work properly. These might be in a different menu for the 8900.

Country Code - Phone (green) key > BB Options Key > Options > Smart Dialing, then set the country code.

APN - Options > Advanced Options > TCP, then set the APN.

I'm not sure of the APN for AIS. I think it's something like internet or wap. Dtac is www.dtac.co.th per this website:

http://www.flexispy.com/globalapn.htm

That website says internet is the APN for AIS, but I found a different APN someplace else that was different and worked. The APN does not matter for things like the native browser. But to use 3rd party browsers or other apps that need a data connection like Google Maps, the APN has to be set.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your time

Blackberry Prepaid service from 1-2-Call

Daily 42 bt. (32 bt per day until the end of this December)

Monthly 650 bt.

If your mobile is really brandnew one and have never regist the pin and IMEI on the BB server before it should be working. ( well must unlock first.)