Been Away From Uk For More Than 3 Months?

aletta

I've seen a few posts recently with people concerned they cannot get NHS treatment as they have been out of the UK for over 3 months.Don't worry.I found the following paragraph on the Department of Health website i have listed below:-

"Returning to the UK after a period of time living away?

If you go anywhere abroad for more than three months, either for a one-off extended holiday for a few months or to live permanently for several years, but then return to the UK to take up permanent residence here again, then you will be entitled to receive free NHS hospital treatment from the day you return"

It all hinges on your intention to stay in the UK after treatment.As no one can read your mind there is no need to worry.

Department of Health

If you go anywhere abroad for more than three months, either for a one-off extended holiday for a few months or to live permanently for several years, but then return to the UK to take up permanent residence here again, then you will be entitled to receive free NHS hospital treatment from the day you return"

It all hinges on your intention to stay in the UK after treatment.As no one can read your mind there is no need to worry.

If you go back to the UK, the first thing to do is to go to the DHHS. If your stay is short the same day as you arrive is best. They will give you a little book to say that you are applying for whatever it is. You can show this to the dentist and sign the on benefit box. I got about 300 quids worth done on my last visit. Same for prescriptions. However, the last time I applied for Job Seekers allownce, they said they didn't believe that I was a permanent resident! They ain't stupid. Well, they are paying 2 of my friends disabilty and they live here without telling them. Bugger all wrong with them too, apart from drinking too much.

They will give you a little book to say that you are applying for whatever it is. You can show this to the dentist and sign the on benefit box. I got about 300 quids worth done on my last visit

and one of the reasons that the health service is in the precarious state that it is is because of scroungers and freeloaders.

treatment is being denied to those who need it because of lack of funding.

neerenram , you should be ashamed of yourself.

if you can afford to pay for the airfare back to the uk then you should not be claiming state benefits.

its nothing more than theft.

They will give you a little book to say that you are applying for whatever it is. You can show this to the dentist and sign the on benefit box. I got about 300 quids worth done on my last visit

and one of the reasons that the health service is in the precarious state that it is is because of scroungers and freeloaders.

if you can afford to pay for the airfare back to the uk then you should not be claiming state benefits.

Especially considering how cheap dental work is in Thailand compared to the UK.

Quite

However..small piece of advice to whoever. If you are taking wife/gf to UK on 2 year Visa BE SURE to register her with Doctor and get NHS Medical Card...that you can do!

Not only is it proof of entitlement to NHS treatment it is a 'good document' in eyes of IND

If you go back to the UK, the first thing to do is to go to the DHHS.

what is it with you , why do you expect people who live 7000 miles away and pay taxes from their earnings to the uk government to subsidise your dental treatment and subsidise your contribution to prescription charges at the chemist... (six pounds).... are you so hard up.

come on neerenram....... justify your self , why dont you pay your way ?

do you still pay uk taxes ?

are you , as someone who lives in thailand , legally entitled to state benefits from the uk government or are you just dishonestly taking advantage of lax controls to get free health care ?

I don't pay taxes in the Uk and I don't expect anything in return, Neeram you and your friends should be ashamed of yourselves there are people out there in genuine need and people out here who struggle but don't ask for handouts, the reason the welfare state was created was to help people when they needed it most if we could get rid of all you scroungers and freeloaders there would be more for the people who really needed it, no doubt you have a load of kids between you that you expect the State to keep too?

Nobody ever gave me nothing, and I ain't one for begging.

Be a manand stop being a poor excuse for one, I have lost a good deal of respect for you due to that last post

what is it with you , why do you expect people who live 7000 miles away and pay taxes from their earnings to the uk government to subsidise your dental treatment and subsidise your contribution to prescription charges at the chemist... (six pounds).... are you so hard up.

are you , as someone who lives in thailand , legally entitled to state benefits from the uk government or are you just dishonestly taking advantage of lax controls to get free health care ?

I am not paying taxes in the UK, and haven't for a long time. I did pay taxes for about 7 years or so.

OK, I admit giving this little loophole in the UK law was wrong. I am a little ashamed of doing this, but I am just being honest in stating what I did, although it is dishonest.

When I found out how much the treatment cost, quite simply I couldn't pay.

I couldn't even afford to go back to the UK, having to borrow about 80,000 baht which I am still paying back.

In my defense, I really had to go back to the UK because it was the last chance I had to go and see some eldery relatives, some who have since passed away.

They were so thrilled to see there grandson and great grandchildren(for the first time), I am glad that I borrowed the cash. I was not going to go begging to them for money.

Now, should I be entitled to any benefit from the UK? I don't know.

20,000 baht for me is nearly one months salary. I was on the dole before coming to Thailand 13 years ago. I could justify my taking 300 pounds off them by saying, if I had stayed in the UK for those 13 years, remaining unemployed, I would have taken an awful lot more off the govt. 300 quid in 13 years will ont bankrupt Blair and co.

It must be easy for those with plenty of money, who can afford to hand out 300 pounds for dental treatment to say it is terrible etc.

As for ripping off the British government, well that is another story. I do not feel guilty about doing this, but I won't go into the political reasons.

As for my friends, well I cannot justify what they are doing. However, whether they are claiming their money here or there, does it make any difference?

What would you do with a mouthful of aching teeth just before a trip that the whole family were so excited about? Cancel the trip(only the second one in 13 years), go with no Xmas pressies, or tick a little box at the dentists?

I am not paying taxes in the UK, and haven't for a long time. I did pay taxes for about 7 years or so.

OK, I admit giving this little loophole in the UK law was wrong. I am a little ashamed of doing this, but I am just being honest in stating what I did, although it is dishonest.

I couldn't even afford to go back to the UK, having to borrow about 80,000 baht which I am still paying back.

In my defense, I really had to go back to the UK because it was the last chance I had to go and see some eldery relatives, some who have since passed away.

They were so thrilled to see there grandson and great grandchildren(for the first time), I am glad that I borrowed the cash. I was not going to go begging to them for money.

20,000 baht for me is nearly one months salary. I was on the dole before coming to Thailand 13 years ago. I could justify my taking 300 pounds off them by saying, if I had stayed in the UK for those 13 years, remaining unemployed, I would have taken an awful lot more off the govt. 300 quid in 13 years will ont bankrupt Blair and co.

It must be easy for those with plenty of money, who can afford to hand out 300 pounds for dental treatment to say it is terrible etc.

As for ripping off the British government, well that is another story. I do not feel guilty about doing this, but I won't go into the political reasons.

As for my friends, well I cannot justify what they are doing. However, whether they are claiming their money here or there, does it make any difference?

What would you do with a mouthful of aching teeth just before a trip that the whole family were so excited about? Cancel the trip(only the second one in 13 years), go with no Xmas pressies, or tick a little box at the dentists?

Why don`t you get a job and work for a living....nothing nicer than earning money and being able to have your teeth fixed....and buy a new car....and treat the wife....and.......all by working hard!!

Now I suppose that you are going to tell us you have a bad back!! :o

Why don`t you get a job and work for a living....nothing nicer than earning money and being able to have your teeth fixed....and buy a new car....and treat the wife....and.......all by working hard!!

Now I suppose that you are going to tell us you have a bad back!! 

Before you go throwing accusations, get your facts right.

I have worked an average of 6 days a week for the past 12/13 years.

I was unemployed for 4 months due to the slump in the price of oil.

Rather than be unemployed, I decided to travel halfway around the world to work for a fraction of what I used to get.

Ain't nothing wrong with my back.

Now I suppose that you are going to tell us you have a bad back!! 

Before you go throwing accusations, get your facts right.

I have worked an average of 6 days a week for the past 12/13 years.

I was unemployed for 4 months due to the slump in the price of oil.

Rather than be unemployed, I decided to travel halfway around the world to work for a fraction of what I used to get.

Ain't nothing wrong with my back.

Nice to hear that you are fit and well :o

I've continued paying NI contributions every month (3 and a bit years now).

That should still entitle me to NHS cover.

Economics 101: NHS is a universal form of health insurance, available to all citizens and eligible residents. It is not means tested, and your ability to use it is not based on contributions. Nor should it be.

Not that it is the greatest system in the world where you will get Bamrugrad like hospital/hotels- and the need to register with a GP still baffels me- but in the main it gets the job done (queue: latest Sun or Daily Mail 'news' report of some old biddy who can't get her hip replacement).

Why do governements persist with such a system? Cause the alternative is worse. Places where medical insurance is allowed to run by free market rules inevitably leads to medical price inflation, pushing the cost of medical care out of the grasp of people who need it most - the poor. And then govenment ends up spending more anyway.

Its no secret that the US spends a signifcantly higher proportion of its GDP on health (something like 16% of GDP in the states) as compared with countries with NHS like systems (8% - 9% in places like OZ, UK, NZ).

And what does the US get for spending more money per head? It gets less equitable access to health for the average citizen, less value for money treatment with overall worse health outcomes for the population as a whole.

But surely you ask - if I can afford it, surely I should pay for a private doctor, so it free's up money for people to access an already stretched NHS? It all seems logical, but you would be wrong. How so you ask?

Well take the latest example in Australia, where the government threw money at people to take out private health insurance so that needy people could access the public health system more quickly. And what happened? You had a surge of doctors and allied medical practitioners head for private practice, leaving the public hospital system even more short staffed than before. Given that it takes almost 10 years to train a half decent doctor, and double that to train a decent surgeon, poor people are no better off. And the government ended up spending money it should have devoted to the public system.

So whats my point? Don't knock people for using the public health system even though you deem that they shouldn't be. The other option is a lot worse.

Edited by samran

I've seen a few posts recently with people concerned they cannot get NHS treatment as they have been out of the UK for over 3 months.Don't worry.I found the following paragraph on the Department of Health website i have listed below:-

"Returning to the UK after a period of time living away?

Department of Health

There is no need to worry about getting NHS treatment, and other help if you are sick. 3 years ago my good friend went back after about 20 years, due to ill health. He can't work and gets all his medication(lots of it), a nice flat(paid for), and about 60,000 baht a month. It may be a different story if he could work.

I've continued paying NI contributions every month (3 and a bit years now).

That should still entitle me to NHS cover.

Well Dave it`s a bit of a grey area especially if you are not permanently resident in the UK.

The Health Dept. guidelines are as folows:-

Nationality or past or present payments of UK taxes and national insurance contributions are not taken into consideration when establishing residence. The only thing relevant is whether you live in the UK.

Anyone who is deemed to be ordinarily resident in the Uk is entitiled to free NHS hospital treatment in England.

"Ordinary resident" is a common law concept dating from 1982.

As someone who is living lawfully in the UK and for settled purposes as part of their regular order of their life for the time being, with an identifiable purpose for their residence here(UK), which has a sufficient degree of continuity to be properly described as settled.

I assume that this means that if you are not living in the Uk permanently or cannot show that you are settling in the UK then irrespective of whether you are paying national insurance contributions or not then you are not entitled to free NHS treatment.

So I suppose if anyone who is a British Citizen not permanently resident in the UK pops back to the UK for free treatment and does not have a NHS doctor holding a current UK address for them then there could be difficulties.

thanks for the admission.

however what follows are the most pathetic bunch of lame excuses and you should have ended your post as above.

so if you cant afford to pay , then lets con the nhs and the the uk government to pay for my treatment.

if you cant afford it then you cant have it !!!

you can afford the airfares for the family , but you cant afford the treatment.

then make a choice , one or the other. you cant have both. thats life.

why should other people have to pay for your greed and stupidity.

cue the peeled onions and kleenex.

why didnt you borrow from your relatives ??

you're obviously not bothered about begging from the british taxpayer.

20,000 baht for me is nearly one months salary. I was on the dole before coming to Thailand 13 years ago. I could justify my taking 300 pounds off them by saying, if I had stayed in the UK for those 13 years, remaining unemployed, I would have taken an awful lot more off the govt.

yes , but you didnt stay in the uk , so the above is irrelevant , childish and pathetic.

300 quid in 13 years will ont bankrupt Blair and co.
no it wont , but it will put an extra cleaner on a hospital ward for a week , and that cleaner might just be the one whose work prevents the spread of one case of mrsa.

it might pay for a radiographer to work an extra couple of shifts , and on one of those shifts , that radiographer might spot a malignant tumour earlier than if the patient had to wait another week for the radiographs , in malignant disease a week can mean the difference between life and death.

it could put a couple of tv's into one of those wards or care homes where the old and helpless have nothing to do.

would provide a couple of days of home care to a geriatric stroke victim living alone.

if you havent got money for healthcare then its all the more reason to take very good care of your health , get yourself a f4cking toothbrush and use it , then you wont get toothache ,will you .

if you have got some problem with the british government then write a letter or ,or better still make an intelligent protest outside the british embassy , or leave the country as you have already done , but dont be two faced, hypocritical and spineless and scurry back when you need something from them and steal funds from the healthcare system .

now i wonder what your problem with the british government could be ???

some of your other posts shed some light on that dont they ??

its just another case of someone thinking that they are owed a living by someone else

you are not hurting the government , you are only denying treatment to the sick.

your friends are cheats and scum , sounds like nice people you mix with.

are you trying to tell me that suddenly , just before your trip to england , all your teeth started aching at once.

i would try to prevent problems like this , by taking care of myself. like i said before , use a toothbrush regularly.

your behaviour was wrong

and your excuses laughable.

Edited by taxexile

My understanding is that a British citizen is entitled to medical treatment for up to three months under the NHS if that person is resident overseas.

If this has been changed I haven't heard about it.

I cannot find anywhere on the NHS site where the 3 months is mentioned.

There are a number of exemptions where treatment will be given to members of HM forces and Civil Servants working overseas.

There is one which may be pertinent to some forum members.

Exemption.

Anyone who has lived lawfully in the Uk for 10 continuous years at some point who is now working abroad and has not been away for more than 5 years..

I have lived out of the uk on and off. First time was 98. The next time was 2000. Then again in 2002 been back on and off. Have been back here since 2003. I was under the impression that if you work then then your stamps(NHS contributions) are good for a few years. ie you are paid up in advance. And before we go and start slating the NHS. Lets look at it this way. Sure there is many things wrong with the NHS. But a few years ago. I had some problems with headaches and stuff. I went to the doc and was sent to see the relative people(neuro surgeons) Had a scan and found a cyst on my brain. i was taken straight in to hospital. Op in less than 2 weeks and problem solved.I was one of those people who used to give the NHS shit. Now my opinion has changed. Its not perfect but its better than alot of systems all over the world. Think your self lucky if you are British. You have options.

and the need to register with a GP still baffels me-

having one gp , to whom you go in the first instance when you are sick , is the (or should be the ) best way of getting good diagnosis for your problems.

you and all your medical peculiarities are known by the doctor , they know you , a relationship of trust is built , its not dependant on payment or financial gain because gp visits are free.

i am not blind to all the other problems of the uk nhs system , but the family gp system is unbeatable. because its based on the development of a relationship between patient and doctor , and its local , the doctors reputation and respect in the local community is earned and must be maintained . if he gets things wrong , he quickly loses his patients and his funding.

the thai system could learn a lot from the uk.

If Neeranam is British, if his friends are British - then I am happy for them to use the British National Health Service.

yes, yes yes, yes, yes, I know.........The 'Rules'.......state otherwise.

If they are from Ooga Booga Land and want hundreds of thousands of quids worth of anti-retrovirals funded by National Insurance Contibutions- (that I made when I worked in London) .....then the Rules may say 'Yes!' but I say no.

British Grannies got bombed out in the Blitz. We British sacrificed our Empire after the War. The NHS is our legacy- for British people to use.

Edited by The_Moog

If Neeranam is British, if his friends are British - then I am happy for them to use the British National Health Service.

yes, yes yes, yes, yes, I know.........The 'Rules'.......state otherwise.

If they are from Ooga Booga Land and want hundreds of thousands of quids worth of anti-retrovirals funded by National Insurance Contibutions-  (that I made when I worked in London) .....then the Rules may say 'Yes!' but I say no.

British Grannies got bombed out in the Blitz. We British sacrificed our Empire after the War. The NHS is our legacy-  for British people to use.

It looks as though the British government is going to write off billions of pounds worth of third world debt......That should help the poor people of the African countries get the drugs which any human being should be entitled to...

and the need to register with a GP still baffels me-

having one gp , to whom you go in the first instance when you are sick , is the (or should be the ) best way of getting good diagnosis for your problems.

you and all your medical peculiarities are known by the doctor , they know you , a relationship of trust is built , its not dependant on payment or financial gain because gp visits are free.

i am not blind to all the other problems of the uk nhs system , but the family gp system is unbeatable. because its based on the development of a relationship between patient and doctor , and its local , the doctors reputation and respect in the local community is earned and must be maintained . if he gets things wrong , he quickly loses his patients and his funding.

It makes sense on paper, except I can't ever get an apponitment with my local GP here!!!

And I think I am comparing apples with apples here. In OZ, you can go to any Medicare GP. No registration necessary. So if my local GP is booked up, then I ring someone else. Can't do that in the UK, unless you want to wait for a couple of hours at emergency or NHS walk-in, which aren't always convinenent.

Of course it makes sense to develop a relationship with your GP who can keep a general eye your health, but what happens when you have to flu, can't get and need someone just to give you a simple medical once over. That doesn't necessarily require a close doctor patient relationship.

I guess 30 baht medical care is a start. Pity that the PM is also using it as a way to bankrupt hospitals, buy them up, and then some stage he will increase health funding as another way to line his pockets with government money.

but what happens when you have to flu, can't get and need someone just to give you a simple medical once over. That doesn't necessarily require a close doctor patient relationship.
if you have e.g. flu and you go to any doctor , they wont know that you (possibly)had a respiratory infection last year and that this bout of flu needs watching carefully , the new doctor wont know that you (possibly ) had two courses of a certain antibiotic recently that didnt work and not to use that one again , sticking to one doctor is a good idea !

unfortunately the system is creaking at the seams.

too many patients and not enough doctors.

not enough money in the system , which is why people who take advantage of the system are just thoughtless scroungers.

moog , i am quite happy for him to use the system too if he is british.

as far as the dental services go , when you get treatment you have to pay a proportion of the costs towards that treatment , its not free like doctors and hospitals.

if you are claiming any uk benefits then you "tick the box" to say that you are legally entitled to get the treatment for free and that you are liable to be prosecuted if you are found to be claiming illegally and you are not charged the patient contribution.

the maximum contribution is 300 pounds , if you have 1500 pounds of work done then you still pay 300.

neerenram may be entitled to subsidised treatment , i dont know his status as a resident , he says he has been here for eight years i think , but was certainly not entitled to free treatment , but he "ticked the box" , and not only did he get his treatment partially subsidised by the taxpayer , he got it for free !! talk about greedy.

its thieves like that that just increase the strain on an already creaking system.

he proudly boasts that he saved himself 300 pounds but he might have actually had 1000 pounds worth of treatment , if he had a mouth full of aching teeth (that i suspect he had been saving up for his visit to the uk dentist) then it could well have been a lot more.

If they are from Ooga Booga Land

although not from ooga booga land , neerenram , i believe , comes from the asian sub-continent.

I am afraid those who think payment of stamp entiltes them to NHS treatment after three months outside the UK are in for a shock.The Department of Health website states:

Nationality or past or present payments of UK taxes and national insurance contributions are not taken into consideration when establishing residence. The only thing relevant is whether you live in the UK. :o

D of H

Exactly,the Government wants to make sure that us guys who contribute vast amounts in national insurance and UK taxes whilst deciding to live abroad, pay for all the immigrants who have paid nothing and in some cases never will.

Because I receive a company pension DSS told me I could get nothing.Whilst I saw everyone around me from other countries and those who had never worked get everything.Bitter? Sure! :o