Looking For My Wallet

JSPS

I no longer live in Thailand. But I have carried the same type of wallet from Thailand since the early 70's. It is an elephant leather bi fold, a bit large and has a map of Thailand embossed inside.

I bought several of them when I was in Thailand in 1986 and now the final one is wearing out. I thought it would be simple to find one on line since everything seems to be available on line these days but cannot find them.

Do they still sell them? They used to be in every hotel gift shop and available at street vendors but I don't see any now.

I can't get to Thailand to shop right now but can probably find someone from my Wat that is going. I just want to know if they are still available or if they have disappeared for some reason. :)

I just want to know if they are still available or if they have disappeared for some reason. :)

Let's hope they are not available any more. There are few enough elephants without giving poachers any more excuse to kill them!

Few enough elephants, take it you havent been on Suk rd Bangkok recently?

Elephant poachers in Thailand? Really?

Yes still available, but dont buy from any hotel gift shop, local market is better and cheaper.

I just want to know if they are still available or if they have disappeared for some reason. :)

Let's hope they are not available any more. There are few enough elephants without giving poachers any more excuse to kill them!

Few enough elephants, take it you havent been on Suk rd Bangkok recently?

Elephant poachers in Thailand? Really?

Yes still available, but dont buy from any hotel gift shop, local market is better and cheaper.

Good joke.

You don't believe they poach elephants here? I presume you've only been around BKK and haven't visited the country.

Get around a bit and learn!

'Real' elephant leather is illegal in Thailand and any products advertising that will be imitation "Elephant Leather" using cow leather or will be illegally poached. So I hope if you find genuine you will be arrested.

You can get elephant leather wallets from Chiang Mai easily enough. They are seemly from the elephant village from the elephants which die naturally - thats what they say anyway. Pretty nice wallets too.

this is the same kind of deal in Bangkok at the crocodile farm, they sell the crocodile wallets the same way.

'Real' elephant leather is illegal in Thailand and any products advertising that will be imitation "Elephant Leather" using cow leather or will be illegally poached. So I hope if you find genuine you will be arrested.

OK, thanks. I didn't know that 'real' elephant leather was now illegal. Been a lot of changes since the 'good old days'.

The people that I would ask to find it for me are all Thai's so I don't think they would get it from any hotel gift shop. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't asking them to find something that wasn't there.

You can get elephant leather wallets from Chiang Mai easily enough. They are seemly from the elephant village from the elephants which die naturally - thats what they say anyway. Pretty nice wallets too.

this is the same kind of deal in Bangkok at the crocodile farm, they sell the crocodile wallets the same way.

Some countries prohibit the import of elephant and crocodile skins. (Especially crocodile). Check with your country to see if it is illegal to import.

The reason? To discourage poaching.

OK, thanks. I didn't know that 'real' elephant leather was now illegal. Been a lot of changes since the 'good old days'.

The people that I would ask to find it for me are all Thai's so I don't think they would get it from any hotel gift shop. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't asking them to find something that wasn't there.

Sounds like your friends may be on the wrong side of the fence then. Let's hope they don't find that 'something' and hope it isn't there.