Esaan Falang Double Pricing

bellagrego

Normal price in a private doctors office is 50 bth.But what do you mean with esaan?The name is Isaan.

Wikipedia: Isan (Isan/Thai: อีสาน; also written as Isaan, Isarn, Issan, or Esarn) is the northeast region of Thailand. :)

The last place you should quote, is stupidia. Edited by anyone. My spelling is mine like yours is yours. Take your picck and enjoy.

bellagrego.

wow you had a bargain there!

i went to a thai only hospital in chiang mai for my 5 year licence medical a year ago and the doc charged me 105 baht

he checked to see if i had a pulse ... if im still alive ? ? ? ..... and signed the form .

lucky you

party time on the 90 baht you saved .... dave2 : )

You bet dave, I am off to Army toon bar in Sakon tonight to blow out that 90 baht on alarge Singhi. I am grateful for some levity amongst the hard core replys about everything in general. I write for fun and to inform when applicable. My pet peave is that "censorship" thing. I have a tough hide, like an armadillo and can take the hits, I wish all could do the same. I love my life here except for the loss of my basic freedom of speech.

bella

Normal price in a private doctors office is 50 bth.But what do you mean with esaan?The name is Isaan.

Issan, according to who ? You ? or some other Thai guy with a PHD in English. Try a phonetic pronunciation and spell from that as I have and you will come to the same conclusion. I will make my own spellings of these arbitrary words and you and all others casn do the same. My thirty-five years teaching English quakifies me to do that.

I am speaking in jest here bellagrego, so please don't get hot under the collar.

What quakifications do you actually have?

You have all heard the horror stories and complaints associated with that dual pricing in Thailand. You know, the one that says you get screwed if you are white, falang, or anyone other than Thai. How is this for a twist. I won't name the town for fear of a stampede or reprisals.

I needed my Thai drivers license renewed and my Thai wife needed her first lisence for a motobike. She went to a local clinic alone and received the documentation of her good heath as required. She was not examined. The fee charged was 200 baht. A goodly sum for Esaan, but no surprise.

The next day I went there. It was crowded and hot so I passed on it till later. Two days later the same thing so I sought anoher clinic. I found one a few blocks away that had but one other customer. I filled out the questionaire. Waited for ten minutes and then the nurse took me to see the doctor. He checked my blood pressure, my pulse, and my heart and lungs. He said you are Ok and signed the document. The check bin was prepared and submitted to me for payment. The charges, the entire charges, everything was a whopping 15 baht, that's right FIFTEEN BAHT.

So you see, sometimes honesty prevails and the good people of Esaan mistreat their own and conversely give a falang a break.

bella

So what are these horror stories then,i think thats a bit OTT isnt it???

Issan, according to who ? You ? or some other Thai guy with a PHD in English. Try a phonetic pronunciation and spell from that as I have and you will come to the same conclusion. I will make my own spellings of these arbitrary words and you and all others casn do the same. My thirty-five years teaching English quakifies me to do that.

I am speaking in jest here bellagrego, so please don't get hot under the collar.

What quakifications do you actually have?

None in word processing, obviously :) .

(I am only jesting as well)

There is no "correct" english spelling of any Thai word. It is entirely dependent on the persons perception of it pronunciation and converstion to something phonetically equivalent. e.g. falang/farang, Hatyai/Hadyai, etc, etc........

"falang/farang,", not so, Farang in Thai is written with a clear "r" or "roh rua" and not with an "l" as in "loh ling", falang is only spoken because most (basic) Thais are lazy to speak proper Thai. If you want to speak proper Thai listen to the news readers on TV. If your Thai is "bar girl Thai" everybody will understand you but if you are in business you are not being respected, only accepted because of your money but you will never know, nobody will confront you because of the culture of not "possibly make you lose face".

"falang/farang,", not so, Farang in Thai is written with a clear "r" or "roh rua" and not with an "l" as in "loh ling", falang is only spoken because most (basic) Thais are lazy to speak proper Thai. If you want to speak proper Thai listen to the news readers on TV. If your Thai is "bar girl Thai" everybody will understand you but if you are in business you are not being respected, only accepted because of your money but you will never know, nobody will confront you because of the culture of not "possibly make you lose face".

Completely agree with your statement regarding "spoken" Thai.

My comments were directed to Thai words "written" in English and I stand by my previous statement. No One, Thai, English or otherwise can tell you or me what the "correct" way is to spell a Thai word in English. There are many words that have become "accepted" as the correct way, but that doesn't make them "official".

Farang/Falang was only one example of thousands........

I don't mind using names.

Several years ago when St. Mary's Business Administration college (MBAC) was preparing to open, all of the teachers (I had hired on as its first foreign English language teacher) were asked to provide 20 Baht each to cover the physical exam needed. We all put in our 20 Baht, and I was expecting a van or pickup truck to take us to the clinic. No such procedure. The certificates all came back certifying everyone was examined and in good health. So much for insurance here in the Land of Smiles.

Frank G Anderson

You have all heard the horror stories and complaints associated with that dual pricing in Thailand. You know, the one that says you get screwed if you are white, falang, or anyone other than Thai. How is this for a twist. I won't name the town for fear of a stampede or reprisals.

I needed my Thai drivers license renewed and my Thai wife needed her first lisence for a motobike. She went to a local clinic alone and received the documentation of her good heath as required. She was not examined. The fee charged was 200 baht. A goodly sum for Esaan, but no surprise.

The next day I went there. It was crowded and hot so I passed on it till later. Two days later the same thing so I sought anoher clinic. I found one a few blocks away that had but one other customer. I filled out the questionaire. Waited for ten minutes and then the nurse took me to see the doctor. He checked my blood pressure, my pulse, and my heart and lungs. He said you are Ok and signed the document. The check bin was prepared and submitted to me for payment. The charges, the entire charges, everything was a whopping 15 baht, that's right FIFTEEN BAHT.

So you see, sometimes honesty prevails and the good people of Esaan mistreat their own and conversely give a falang a break.

bella

Edited by frankganderson